• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Favorite currently-available jacket model (and maybe pants)?

blueskysunnyday

Angel Diva
Hi, Divas. I was just looking at the November thread about whether most people have multiple ski outfits (yes) and I decided that since I am not an ascetic, I deserve some new duds. For years, I have had only a hardshell jacket and stretchy softshell pants under which I layer as appropriate. The jacket annoys me because it is stiff and crinkly and scratchy and loud. I don't like wearing it. I'm looking for a soft, insulated jacket that is waterproof and breathable. I have looked at my 2 local shops and did not fall in love. I found that about half of the jackets I saw were too scratchy/crinkly for my taste, so that makes me nervous to order one I have not touched.

What are your favorite currently-available insulated jackets that are soft and not crinkly or stiff? Some stretch would be great too. I am not the type to do any extended hiking or off-piste skiing, so no risk of being caught hours from shelter in a storm, but I am the type to stay out in the worst weather to enjoy shorter lift lines.

I truly love my softshell pants -- they have some fuzz inside, so I don't have to wear anything under. But, I can fit thick fleece pants under if I need to. They are form-fitting, 4-way stretch black twill -- feminine looking and sooo comfy. They also have a 20,000/20,000 waterproof/breathability rating, so I can sit on a very wet lift with no issues. The problem is that I am somewhat smaller than I was when I found these dreamboats and they have no belt loops or adjustable waist. I am constantly hiking them up. I would rather not do suspenders so I can leave the backpack and jacket on during a quick bathroom stop. I really need a size smaller, but the model is not available anymore. So, I would be open to hearing about any currently available pants that people love.

Thanks so much!

Blueskysunnyday

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have this jacket and it’s amazing. https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-stretch-nano-storm-jacket/84341.html

i wear a synthetic base layer, I vary my mid layer depending on temp, and this and I’m super comfortable. unfortunately, they stopped selling this specific jacket, so to answer YOUR question, I think the Triolet is the closest equivalent when I was doing my research.

You mentioned the jacket noise, that was what made me upgrade last year, and this Patagonia material is unreal. So quiet. I have boring LL bean pants, but I also have Flylow Sphynx bibs that go well with the jacket in terms of style and fit.

blueskysunnyday

Angel Diva
Thanks for the info — the nano storm looks so comfy! Maybe I could find one on Patagonia’s Worn Wear site since they don’t make them now. I have gotten several midlayers there that I really love. My current crunchy shell is a Patagonia so I was shying away from them for outerwear, but it is pretty old (bought it used online, so I don’t know it’s age). I bet there are much better ones now, plus it still functions perfectly.

I was reading on the forum about all the bib love among the Divas and am now looking at those too. My body shape seems to be very different from those in the discussions, and I could not figure out what brand/style would be the best for me. Went out to the shops this morning and they had no bibs close to my size to try on. I might make a new forum post for that.

Thanks again!!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Not sure of your size but I have these:

I'm on the very petite side though. I got an extra small and perfect fit.
I have same bib, diff color, also on sale, in M. I’m 5’5”, 140. They are VERY practical, warm, dry. Bibsare great solution, eliminating possible gape at waistline. Def need to choose one w flap for bathroom needs!! Even w menopause lbs I’m still lean in hips and chest; these are snug across waist and ribs. I am broad shouldered. Foxy not for curvy types,although for bibs it emphasizes what curves you have. Moxie may be better for curvy types. There also an insulated model ?Sphinx?
I have a 5 yo insulated Nils jacket, bought on sale late season, worn 4 years. 20,000/20,000 warm and dry, some stretch. No noise. It Has technical features but style is more fashion than technical. The brand is not often mentioned here, but I’ve been very pleased. They have nice colors and tall and short options, I think.
I have insulated Spyder and Rossi pants, they are fine, but waist gap an issue, esp if I fall. I think I’m a bib diva going forward!!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I have same bib, diff color, also on sale, in M. I’m 5’5”, 140. They are VERY practical, warm, dry. Bibsare great solution, eliminating possible gape at waistline. Def need to choose one w flap for bathroom needs!! Even w menopause lbs I’m still lean in hips and chest; these are snug across waist and ribs. I am broad shouldered. Foxy not for curvy types,although for bibs it emphasizes what curves you have. Moxie may be better for curvy types. There also an insulated model ?Sphinx?
I have a 5 yo insulated Nils jacket, bought on sale late season, worn 4 years. 20,000/20,000 warm and dry, some stretch. No noise. It Has technical features but style is more fashion than technical. The brand is not often mentioned here, but I’ve been very pleased. They have nice colors and tall and short options, I think.
I have insulated Spyder and Rossi pants, they are fine, but waist gap an issue, esp if I fall. I think I’m a bib diva going forward!!
I like the feel of the Nils pants but haven’t purchased any yet. Wish they had better colors

RJ*

Angel Diva
My favorite jacket by far is Helly Hansen’s Motionista. I love it so much I have it in two colors. I find it warm, soft, breathable, really lightweight, cute and has all the features. I’m also a bib-only person and own a few now, but my favorite is HH’s Odin Mountain Infinity 3L shell bib.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have this jacket and it’s amazing. https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-stretch-nano-storm-jacket/84341.html

i wear a synthetic base layer, I vary my mid layer depending on temp, and this and I’m super comfortable. unfortunately, they stopped selling this specific jacket, so to answer YOUR question, I think the Triolet is the closest equivalent when I was doing my research.

You mentioned the jacket noise, that was what made me upgrade last year, and this Patagonia material is unreal. So quiet. I have boring LL bean pants, but I also have Flylow Sphynx bibs that go well with the jacket in terms of style and fit.
I am a big Patagonia fan. I have the Powder Bowl shell jacket and also have the Stretch Nano Storm - funny story, I purchased it after seeing it on someone at Solitude when I was there years ago. I thought it was such a great jacket, that I tracked it down and found one still in the REI Outlet. It is a great combination of weather proof, pit zips, and light insulation. It is my go-to option for cold weather higher cardio (snowshoeing/nordic), but for alpine skiing, I can only wear it in moderate temps.

The Triolet is uninsulated; likely the closest that Patagonia has to offer to the Nano Storm is the Micro Puff Storm, but it doesn't have quite the same features (no velcro adjustment at wrists, no pit zips).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I wonder why they got rid of the nano storm… I’ve never read a bad review. I wonder if the material just got too costly or was not compatible with their fluoro elimination plan?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought the Eddie Bauer BC Fineline jacket. I love the lime green color but my current dilemma is it's going to clash horribly with my new hot pink and purple Faction Dictators... what to do... :doh:

But the marketing got me. And it's on sale.
Blue or orange pants, then the clashing will look deliberate!

In terms of favoured jackets, I currently have this as my daily-wear and after I got it, I finally felt comfortable to sell off my previous favoured jacket. You may find it too crinkly if you actually want a soft-shell - it doesn't really make the crinkle noise when you move and doesn't feel stiff like my goretex raincoat, but it does make noise when you brush the sleeves against the side of the jacket. The sale price was also enticing. https://www.evo.com/outlet/insulated-jackets/airblaster-sassy-nicolette-jacket-womens

For 4-way stretch, I am a fan of the Battle Stretch from Volcom which also have the fuzzy inner, but most are only 15k waterproofing and they are low-riding. They fit firmly like skinny jeans, aside from being flared at the bottom. The North Face Apex / Snoga are also snug like leggings with 10k waterproofing.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My favorite jacket by far is Helly Hansen’s Motionista. I love it so much I have it in two colors. I find it warm, soft, breathable, really lightweight, cute and has all the features. I’m also a bib-only person and own a few now, but my favorite is HH’s Odin Mountain Infinity 3L
Per my husband who used to work for Patagonia (design side), it didn't sell well.
My favorite jacket by far is Helly Hansen’s Motionista. I love it so much I have it in two colors. I find it warm, soft, breathable, really lightweight, cute and has all the features. I’m also a bib-only person and own a few now, but my favorite is HH’s Odin Mountain Infinity 3L shell bib.
What do you wear for a base layer?

RJ*

Angel Diva
Temperatures are usually between 10-15 and 30F when I ski so I wear only one lightweight wicking layer with this jacket. I alternate between a very old Columbia Omni Heat layer, or a Salomon synthetic layer (this one kind of stinks after a full day so not my favorite.) I also like my super soft (and also super old) Sweaty Betty’s but I haven’t loved the patterns I’ve seen for the last few years from this brand. I’d love to find new base layers to try. What I look for is softness and breathability. I get hot easily around my core.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna