• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Out for the season

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Barbara, I am so sorry about this. It sounds like R is being a good helper which is so important. I'm glad to hear you have had spurts of purposefulness, which as you're finding out will come and go. Just ride the ups and downs and embrace them!

Sparky

Angel Diva
So sorry to hear about the awful fall! But glad surgeries went well and you‘re staying positive. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
So sorry that happened @skibum4ever. I do hope that the Mammoth ski patrol handled you well. That’s quite a tricky accident to extricate! I am hoping you had a good experience with the rescue. Undoubtedly painful!

Mammoth Ski Patrol was great. Everyone at Mammoth Hospital was great as well. I felt like I was in good hands.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Unfortunately the tibia needs to heal more before I can bear any weight. So my inability to do any type of meaningful PT is a real problem right now.

I saw the surgeon yesterday. He took a lot of X-rays and says the healing is going well. He also says that putting weight on the leg at this point would be disastrous.

So I can begin bending my knee which is important. But nothing else.

He removed all the staples and stitches and replaced them with Steri strips. Photo below shows how the leg looked yesterday before the strips. There go my leg modeling aspirations!

In about a month I will see him again and presumably be cleared for 50% weight bearing. Hopefully by then I will have some decent knee ROM.

That's all for now. The snow is dumping in the Sierras and I am not going to be part of it.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and excellent skiing. Keep those reports coming.

IMG_20211222_105424679.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you don't mind my saying this, but OOOOO that looks nasty. Sounds like you're on the right track, so keep on resting, healing, and doing what the docs and PT's tell you to do. You'll get there. Here's wishing you patience, peace, and better days ahead.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Unfortunately the tibia needs to heal more before I can bear any weight. So my inability to do any type of meaningful PT is a real problem right now.

I saw the surgeon yesterday. He took a lot of X-rays and says the healing is going well. He also says that putting weight on the leg at this point would be disastrous.

So I can begin bending my knee which is important. But nothing else.

He removed all the staples and stitches and replaced them with Steri strips. Photo below shows how the leg looked yesterday before the strips. There go my leg modeling aspirations!

In about a month I will see him again and presumably be cleared for 50% weight bearing. Hopefully by then I will have some decent knee ROM.

That's all for now. The snow is dumping in the Sierras and I am not going to be part of it.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and excellent skiing. Keep those reports coming.

View attachment 17245
On the plus side, you can totally rock a sexy Frankenstein costume next Halloween. That is a pretty impressive meandering line of staples!

newboots

Angel Diva
It does look quite frightening! Your poor foot! So swollen! Not to mention everything else.

I'm so glad you are taking the surgeon seriously. Too many people shoot themselves in the foot (oh, sorry!) by pushing forward despite an expert's advice. And the doctor certainly was clear!

Here's wishing you minimal pain and the joy of these holidays!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my inability to do any type of meaningful PT is a real problem right now.

This sounds very similar to my healing process when i broke my ankle and it was an unstable fracture. The doctor kept reminding me NO WEIGHT BEARING - about four weeks in, i was cleared for flying (had a work trip) and they swapped out my cast for a moonboot which is safer to fly in. The surgeon said that if I tried walking in the moon boot, he would see me back in the hospital for surgery as I'd be sure to displace the bones! Needless to say I was VERY careful.

It's a crappy time - I was SO looking forward to being able to start PT by then. So I know just how you feel! Hopefully the next update is positive and you can start partial weight bearing :smile: you are doing great! And that is an impressive scar/incision!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
It does look quite frightening! Your poor foot! So swollen! Not to mention everything else.

I'm so glad you are taking the surgeon seriously. Too many people shoot themselves in the foot (oh, sorry!) by pushing forward despite an expert's advice. And the doctor certainly was clear!

Here's wishing you minimal pain and the joy of these holidays!

I was that person 18 years ago when I had a tibia plateau fracture. I was skiing before I was cleared to be fully weight bearing and I was very proud of myself. I wasn't even scared on my first run back.

Fast forward to now...I am 17 years older and feeling much more vulnerable. Am I smarter? Maybe not. But relative to this injury I am much more scared. And I have much more to loose.

There's a very high probability that I will never ski again. Since skiing has defined me for 40 years I am finding this very difficult to face. But being able to walk normally is way higher on my list of priorities right now. I'm only 68 and I expected to ski until I was 80 at least. But we don't always meet our expectations.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
@skibum4ever I am just so sorry you are going through this, both the physical injury and ALL the feels that go along with it. I hope that your recovery will exceed your expectations, and good for you for following the Dr's orders to keep the weight off for now.

When I broke my tibia and fibula 9 years ago, I think it was 8 weeks of zero weight-bearing after surgery (and 12 weeks of no driving.) It seemed like an eternity at the time. Here for commiseration and to offer encouragement!

newboots

Angel Diva
I was that person 18 years ago when I had a tibia plateau fracture. I was skiing before I was cleared to be fully weight bearing and I was very proud of myself. I wasn't even scared on my first run back.

Fast forward to now...I am 17 years older and feeling much more vulnerable. Am I smarter? Maybe not. But relative to this injury I am much more scared. And I have much more to loose.

There's a very high probability that I will never ski again. Since skiing has defined me for 40 years I am finding this very difficult to face. But being able to walk normally is way higher on my list of priorities right now. I'm only 68 and I expected to ski until I was 80 at least. But we don't always meet our expectations.

This is heartbreaking! I am the same age, and skiing another decade or more is certainly on my list. I feel so badly about this injury, and it’s potential consequences. We all want the best possible outcome (i.e. skiing again, and sooner rather than later) for you.

Sending healing thoughts!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've been doing some gentle knee bending and it's discouraging how little range of motion I have at this point. I have to keep reminding myself that this involved far more than a knee replacement.

Other than that I'm doing pretty well.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Look at the stitches and the swelling. Your body is amazing and has already gotten you through a lot - it will get you through this. You just have to let it pace you.

Sending thoughts of internal patience. (This is a concept with which I really struggle, so this is a do as I say not as I do situation. ;) )

Healing isn’t linear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna