• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sierra trading post in New Hampshire and other bright ideas!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My cat and I made it to Vermont today. As I started unpacking for the entire winter I figured out that I left a bag in Rhode Island. That has two pairs of hiking boots, two sets of yak tracks, Merrell clogs, slip on Bean boots which are wonderful getting booted up in the car, knee high boots for snowy days and at least eight pairs of ski socks. Plus all my fuzzy bed socks. AUUUUUGH!! The round trip back home and up to Vermont is between seven and eight hours if all goes smoothly, so I am avoiding trying to make that trip. Especially since I can’t stay over and leave my cat happily. She is old enough that there are daily medication’s involved now. And the rides take a lot out of her As she has aged. I am going back to Rhode Island for Christmas. And I can collect all my abandoned items.

So not that I need to own more boots but I’m considering picking up one or two things locally to manage. At least I had thrown some other socks into a bag with everything else. I’ve got all my ski gear! At least it looks like I do!

Has anyone shopped at the Sierra Trading Post location in Keene New Hampshire? It had not opened when I was going home last spring. That might be an option. The thought of shopping during the Christmas season gives me hives! But it’s my fault that I don’t have all my stuff! If not there, West Lebanon, NH? I’m open to suggestions from local-ish Divas!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Is there an LL Bean Outlet store in Burlington? Or, do you have a lovely neighbor willing to send things to you?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only NH Sierra I've been to is in Nashua (?). As with any Sierra, it will be hit or miss on what they have. But I usually do walk out with a pair of ski socks. And sometimes a Kari Traa base layer. Or...

If you do decide to go, I don't think it should be too bad crowd wise. I say just go on a weekday, and if you can get there soon after they open, even better. I haven't found my local Sierra to be any busier than usual yet. Have you looked what you can get at Sierra online? Maybe shop online first, then you can always return things in person to avoid shipping charges. That would minimize time spent in the store. Unless you are like me and end up shopping when you go in to return things.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BackCountryGirl Burlington is more than two hours away. If I were going to make that kind of commitment I might even consider going home. Being from Rhode Island however driving more than five or 10 miles seems like a trip that needs me to pack a lunch!

@diymom I know there is a sierra store in Keene New Hampshire. Which is an hour give or take from here. I played online and found out there is also one in West Lebanon New Hampshire. Also about An hour away. However there I can also get to a Target and TJ Maxx in the same complex. There is also a BJ’s wholesale club that sells gasoline. That I can’t get in Keene so topping off going north instead of south sounds like a good idea. And both have huge New Hampshire State liquor stores so I can stock up. I didn’t bring anything with me this trip. But I got lucky and my landlady had left me a welcome back bottle of wine!

I think I may go tomorrow to avoid weekend Christmas crowds. Today was foggy on the mountain. But there was new snow which was a beautiful thing! As was seeing the ski diva herself and a number of other friends! :yahoo:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My cat and I made it to Vermont today. As I started unpacking for the entire winter I figured out that I left a bag in Rhode Island. That has two pairs of hiking boots, two sets of yak tracks, Merrell clogs, slip on Bean boots which are wonderful getting booted up in the car, knee high boots for snowy days and at least eight pairs of ski socks. Plus all my fuzzy bed socks. AUUUUUGH!! The round trip back home and up to Vermont is between seven and eight hours if all goes smoothly, so I am avoiding trying to make that trip. Especially since I can’t stay over and leave my cat happily. She is old enough that there are daily medication’s involved now. And the rides take a lot out of her As she has aged. I am going back to Rhode Island for Christmas. And I can collect all my abandoned items.

So not that I need to own more boots but I’m considering picking up one or two things locally to manage. At least I had thrown some other socks into a bag with everything else. I’ve got all my ski gear! At least it looks like I do!

Has anyone shopped at the Sierra Trading Post location in Keene New Hampshire? It had not opened when I was going home last spring. That might be an option. The thought of shopping during the Christmas season gives me hives! But it’s my fault that I don’t have all my stuff! If not there, West Lebanon, NH? I’m open to suggestions from local-ish Divas!

Abbi, they JUST opened a Sierra in West Leb, next to the new Target (that used to be a K-Mart).

There's also an LLBean store in West Leb, as well as an EMS.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Abbi, they JUST opened a Sierra in West Leb, next to the new Target (that used to be a K-Mart).

I think I’m heading there tomorrow. I watched people on snowshoes today and was sad because I don’t have any boots here that would go with my snowshoes.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

oh man, west leb has got some good chain shopping going on! Is the target a full sized target? The one in South Burlington is…disappointing to say the least!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
oh man, west leb has got some good chain shopping going on! Is the target a full sized target? The one in South Burlington is…disappointing to say the least!!

I'd heard it's not full-sized, but I don't know; I haven't been there yet.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
4 1/2 hours and 80 miles plus on the car later I have accomplished! I went to Target first. It does not feel like a mini store to me. I understand the space used to be a Kmart. Perhaps it is smaller than some places but I found what I needed. I did notice one or two things on my list when I got home. Oh well! The store bathrooms were out of service for some reason! :eek:There were Porta pottys out front. You know I wasn’t going in there, especially at 32° before the windchill factor! So my Target run was a bit more of a whirlwind than it might be under other conditions. I would’ve gone into Sierra Trading Post first but I got there a little before they opened.

I can happily announce that the Sierra Trading Post store was exactly what I needed. And had what I needed! Including a bathroom! I left there with low end hiking boots since I have good ones at home in Rhode Island, socks, a carabiner style lock in case I have to hang stuff outside at Stratton which doesn’t seem to have indoor storage at the moment. I wandered all over the store which was pretty well stocked. And managed to only touch ski jackets and ski pants without actually trying them on or worse! A holiday miracle!

From there, and still in the same mall type area, I went to TJ Maxx. I had hoped to find the kind of ski socks I really like. Apparently everybody has thicker Smart Wool and Vermont Tough socks. Again I pawed through the clearance rack but managed not to buy anything. Except for Christmas cards, a Christmas present for someone and another scratching pad for my cat Shae. That was well received!

Next was a stop across the street at EMS. They had Yaktrax which STP did not. And I managed not to buy anything there, either! I was seriously thinking about one of the base layer tops which was on sale. But self-control remained.

Then back across the street to another place for groceries. Down the street to BJ’s for gasoline to top off my car at substantially less money than I pay around here. And the final stop was a complete blowout at the New Hampshire liquor store! The martini vodka I like was on sale for nine dollars less a bottle than their usual price. And I pawed through the specialty/sale rack for wines. As you might imagine that was my biggest single expensive stop. But well worth it for long time planning. No idea where I’m going to store the stuff in my apartment here!

My final stop in a couple of hours will be to go try on the ski boots I had set aside yesterday. There was one other pair I would’ve liked to see but neither store had the size and flex I wanted. I am getting the impression that there’s a big buying spree on equipment since this store alone sold 30 pairs of ski boots last weekend!

@ilovepugs, @newboots and @ski diva The report on just the target store got a little away from me! Happy Friday, everyone! :becky:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs, @newboots and @ski diva The report on just the target store got a little away from me! Happy Friday, everyone! :becky:
I appreciate the update!!! Sounds like a fantastically productive morning of shopping!!! And way to go on exercising impulse control! West Leb is pretty out of the way for me but it’s always good to know about options!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Great report! I go to West Leb now and then to hit BJ's and buy gas. I'll have to try the Target and Sierra sometime.

You picked a good day to shop. The Sunburst was on wind hold.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great report! I go to West Leb now and then to hit BJ's and buy gas. I'll have to try the Target and Sierra sometime.

You picked a good day to shop. The Sunburst was on wind hold.

I thought they might have had to stop the Sunburst. I fear the same for Monday, on top of the possible warm up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly