• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Santa Ana 93 or Blizzard Sheeva 9?

Knaf3

Diva in Training
Hey all! I’m trying to decide between the new Nordica Santa Ana 93 or Blizzard Sheeva 9.

I learned to ski as a young kid and skied pretty consistently/confidently until high school when I switched to snowboarding. Now I’m 35 and want to get back into skiing for fun, a new challenge, and I want to teach my daughters to ski (we’ll start our 3 year old this year).

I’ll obviously have a learning curve but I’m hoping within a couple seasons I can be enjoying blues, blacks and maybe an occasional double black if conditions are great - I’m hoping my childhood muscle memory and my snowboarding experience will help me. I typically spend my time split between groomers, big open bowls/backside, and trees. I’m in the PNW.

Santa Ana and Sheeva 9 have been recommended to me for their versatility. I need help deciding between them. Hoping for a ski that helps me learn and can grow with me. Thanks!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! And welcome back to skiing, too!

You haven't said anything about boots, and that's where you really should start. Boots are even more important than skis, since they transfer the movement of your feet TO your skis. So if you haven't thought about boots, you rally should. Go to a reliable, experienced boot fitter and get some helps.

As for the skis you mentioned, both have adherents on this board. You can use the search function here and find loads of stuff on either one.I have and love the Santa Anas, so I'm partial to those. The best thing you can do is demo each and see which works best for you. Better yet, demo some other skis, too. You may be surprised.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I demoed both the Santa Ana 93's and the Sheeva 9. I bought the Sheeva 9's as got a great deal on evo.com. I really loved both skis. I demoed the SA 93's in Taos (in a size longer than what I asked for 161's) and the Sheeva 9's in Tahoe in a 157. Really liked both skis a lot but the deal on the Sheeva 9's came up so bought those. I ski primarily in Tahoe with out of state and out of country trips.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to getting boots first as @skidiva mentioned above, I'd recommend you go narrower for skis and as you get your ski feet back under you. When was the last time you skied?

I have a dear friend who took a 30 year hiatus from skiing until 2 seasons ago. She used seasonal rentals for one year to get back into it then bought new boots (I think her boot fitter did her a solid on that one with the boot he put her in) and a pair of 2020 Blizzard Black Pearls for last season.

I'd probably steer you to a more affordable, narrower, yet still very capable ski like a Nordica Astral 78 or 84, Blizzard Black Pearl 82, Volkl Yumi. Nordica has a new line of Wild Belle's coming out this year that might also be suitable.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots first!! Then ideally a season of demo rentals so you know what you like before committing to a more expensive ski that you may hate.

Knaf3

Diva in Training
I demoed both the Santa Ana 93's and the Sheeva 9. I bought the Sheeva 9's as got a great deal on evo.com. I really loved both skis. I demoed the SA 93's in Taos (in a size longer than what I asked for 161's) and the Sheeva 9's in Tahoe in a 157. Really liked both skis a lot but the deal on the Sheeva 9's came up so bought those. I ski primarily in Tahoe with out of state and out of country trips.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Knaf3

Diva in Training
Thank y

You haven't said anything about boots, and that's where you really should start. Boots are even more important than skis, since they transfer the movement of your feet TO your skis. So if you haven't thought about boots, you rally should. Go to a reliable, experienced boot fitter and get some helps.

As for the skis you mentioned, both have adherents on this board. You can use the search function here and find loads of stuff on either one.I have and love the Santa Anas, so I'm partial to those. The best thing you can do is demo each and see which works best for you. Better yet, demo some other skis, too. You may be surprised.

thank you! I’m excited to be here! Great guidance. I didn’t realize how important boots are as well. I’ll go do some research on boots and get some fitted to me.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Also, might I suggest lessons as you return to skiing. Taking advantage of your childhood experience skiing and more recent snowboarding, you will pick it back up much more quickly with experienced guidance. Most areas have instructors who both ski and snowboard and can help you relate the movements. Why restart with potentially unproductive habits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly