• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fears when skiing/snowboarding

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas, well I'm laid up for the third year in a row due to injury and instead of going skiing to Mt Olympus with DH today or to Mt Hutt with some friends here I am feeling very left out :hurt:so I thought I'd see what fears you all have when skiing or snowboarding to try and make me feel better about my own !!! My absolute nemesis is big rocks/boulders ..... those ones that you have to skirt around, generally when you want to get somewhere really good and often at the top of chutes (I'm always scared I'm going slide into one and end up falling down the chute!!!) or on tricky traverses. I know they're only rocks but I seize up every time and just want to give them a really wide berth even though its not always possible .... for some reason I think they are out to kill me !!!! Anyone else care to share ? x

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get nervous in the trees. They don't even have to be super tight trees. I can make quick tight turns with ease anywhere else but you put a few trees there and I get a mental block with my skiing and my form starts to fall apart (which of course is the worst thing to do!).

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get nervous in the trees. They don't even have to be super tight trees. I can make quick tight turns with ease anywhere else but you put a few trees there and I get a mental block with my skiing and my form starts to fall apart (which of course is the worst thing to do!).
Me too !!! Sadly we dont have them over here (we have big rocks instead!) so I havent had the chance to ski them very often but when I've skied in Canada they just seem impossible to ski, I can ski the gladed areas ok but anything even remotely tight and I just cant imagine being able to pull quick turns even though like you I can make them elsewhere ! x

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
People. I’m scared of other people.

Although I will say that last year, having a snowboarder blindside me from behind helped, because i was able to get up and recover fairly quickly.
I hear ya !!!! Its amazing how many dont know or adhere to the snow code esp the part where the skier/rider downhill has the right of way. We broke with tradition a couple of weeks ago and left our little enclave in The Craigieburns and spent a day at Mt Hutt, I've never seen so many irresponsible skiers/riders in my life, people pushing and shoving, skiing over your ski's when your just standing still, cutting you off etc etc and I've skied WB on Presidents Weekend !!! Sorry @fgor I know its your home field but a lot of those folks need to learn some etiquette :eek:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Omg that suuuucks :frown: Let me know if you recover quickly and end up at Hutt for the final weekend of the season!!

And yeah, people are the worst ahaha. It's so crowded and although MOST people are well behaved, there's enough rude idiots for it to be noticeable. It was worse when I was a newer and more nervous skier, because I was more inclined to (slowly) traverse long ways across the runs before (slowly) turning, and people would nearly hit me from behind and then they would yell at me!!! As you know, Hutt has big wide runs too, tons of room for everyone :noidea:

Lately Hutt has been pushing the snow code a lot more, I noticed they keep posting it on their instagram etc, I think they realise they have a problem!

I feel ya on the big rocks too :eek: Even if they're pretty far away from me. And don't even get me started on trees, when I skied Whistler a couple of years ago I was convinced I was going to ski into them, even though I was at least 5-10 metres away most of the time!

Cat tracks, too. I have a real thing about them.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Omg that suuuucks :frown: Let me know if you recover quickly and end up at Hutt for the final weekend of the season!!

And yeah, people are the worst ahaha. It's so crowded and although MOST people are well behaved, there's enough rude idiots for it to be noticeable. It was worse when I was a newer and more nervous skier, because I was more inclined to (slowly) traverse long ways across the runs before (slowly) turning, and people would nearly hit me from behind and then they would yell at me!!! As you know, Hutt has big wide runs too, tons of room for everyone :noidea:

Lately Hutt has been pushing the snow code a lot more, I noticed they keep posting it on their instagram etc, I think they realise they have a problem!

I feel ya on the big rocks too :eek: Even if they're pretty far away from me. And don't even get me started on trees, when I skied Whistler a couple of years ago I was convinced I was going to ski into them, even though I was at least 5-10 metres away most of the time!

Cat tracks, too. I have a real thing about them.
I've noticed Hutt pushing the snow code this season, I now know why :laughter:
So we've got -
Big scary rocks (actually big scary rocky outcrops that I have to negotiate)
Big scary trees
People !!!! Perhaps the scariest of them all !
Big scary cat tracks ( I did ski your scary cat track and yes its not ideal !!!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly