• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots as you head into your 50s

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did go back, but then didn't ski much and not at all last year. I do think a lot is probably lack of technique etc. I will give them a call and see what happens. Thanks
I've been through 3 boot fittings since I decided to buy new boots around 2006. Mostly because my technique improved and I was skiing enough to wear out liners. The last two from the same boot fitter (local ski shop in NC). My feet are fairly straightforward but I have short legs and muscular calves so some boots are a no-go from the first minute I have them on.

There are boots for all levels of skiing. It's not a matter of ski technique. But it is more different to communicate well with a boot fitter when you have less experience with skiing.

The range of possibilities for an initial pair of boots, and the customizations that are possible if necessary is mind-boggling. Nothing like buying a pair of shoes for everyday use.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....I'm wondering what you do in the shop to flex the boot as you check its flexibility. Junior racers can flex their boots, and they are small and light. They probably can flex them in the shop without using speed as an aid. How do you move your legs, feet, hips, shoulders, and all that when you're checking out the boot's flex?
I did go back, but then didn't ski much and not at all last year. I do think a lot is probably lack of technique etc. I will give them a call and see what happens. Thanks
Your comment about the issue maybe being technique is why I asked that question. If you can describe what you do, then maybe we can see if you're trying to flex the boot the right way or not.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Missy, do you have very skinny ankles, out of curiosity. That is one of my biggest issues. Very narrow heels, skinny ankles and lower legs
I think I would win a low-volume skinny foot/ankle/heel contest especially in relation to my height at 5'5". I miss the days of narrow shoes being an option. That being said, many of you know my boot sagas, but some of you don't. The only boots that really work for me are junior race boots, and even those I have to put after market liners in to snug them up (I have Zipfits in them now and don't think I'll go back to any other kind of liner ever again.) I'm currently in a Rossignol Hero ZJ (Z is their race series, J indicates junior.) They are a 92mm last (so about 86mm at a 22.5) a 110 flex and I have not felt the need to soften them. They have a really nice, smooth flex. I did need to have significant work done on them to lessen the boot ramp angle as the heel on a shorter boot, especially a race boot, can be significantly higher than the toe, which can really screw up your dynamic fore/aft balance. We put toe "shims" on the boot sole, but in the future, I've been advised to buy a pair of boots with a lower built in ramp angle in the boot board, or have that ground down instead of lifting the toe. My next boot will probably be a Fischer junior race boot because they do have a bit lower built-in ramp angle. I also have toe shims under one of my ski's bindings. A lot of bindings have a 5mm or greater difference in heel vs. toe height and it really screws me up.

My experience with so many boots over the past 7 years is that fore/after balance has a huge impact on how the flex feels. I think if you are balanced properly in that plane, you can ski a much stiffer boot than you might think.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@skinnyfootskis I got tecnica mach pro lv in the mail yesterday and they are 115 flex I believe, but the Salomon 120 Smax was MUCH easier for me to flex. Also, the Salomon fit my ankles and calves better. I have been talking to my boot guy via text, so made a video, but I was surprised at how much harder it was to bend the technica boot- so definitely, different manufacturers have different flex ratings

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@skinnyfootskis I got tecnica mach pro lv in the mail yesterday and they are 115 flex I believe, but the Salomon 120 Smax was MUCH easier for me to flex. Also, the Salomon fit my ankles and calves better. I have been talking to my boot guy via text, so made a video, but I was surprised at how much harder it was to bend the technica boot- so definitely, different manufacturers have different flex ratings
That's been my experience with those two brands. Salomon are a softer flexing boot. I always liked how progressive they felt when flexed, and also how and where the liner hit my shin. I actually just picked up a pair of 90 flex S Race Salomon boots for my daughter, who also has teeny tiny feet. I normally would not put her in a 90 flex boot, but knowing how Salomon flex, I'm not worried about it. Try finding a softer boot in a narrower last--impossible!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Two questions (for my own general research):
1 - How do you find the forefoot and toe box fits between these two?
2 - How about the length? Do they seem to be about the same for the two different brands?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did need to have significant work done on them to lessen the boot ramp angle as the heel on a shorter boot, especially a race boot, can be significantly higher than the toe, which can really screw up your dynamic fore/aft balance. We put toe "shims" on the boot sole, but in the future, I've been advised to buy a pair of boots with a lower built in ramp angle in the boot board, or have that ground down instead of lifting the toe.
@contesstant, do you know why your bootfitter said the toe shim was not good for you? It's often called a "gas pedal." I've considered having this done to my boots.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two questions (for my own general research):
1 - How do you find the forefoot and toe box fits between these two?
2 - How about the length? Do they seem to be about the same for the two different brands?
SO, in fairness, I ordered 255 in the Solomon because 265 were too big all around for me. Then I ordered 255 and 265 in the tecnica, but the sent me 225 and 265, so I am comparing 265 technica to 255 Solomon. I will say the width feels the same, if anything, maybe slightly snugger on the Solomon, my foot measure 268-270, but I have a very shallow instep, so my boot guy always says they can make a boot bigger but not smaller. So, to answer, in the toebox, they both fit, the 255 is obviously smaller than than the 265, but I can wiggle all toes (except big toe that will need to be stretched a bit. I have to say, I LOVE how performance feeling the Solomons are. I was doin dishes in them yesterday - despite the small size- haha. Id say just looking at them and wearing them both that the tecnica feel more stuff/rigid and the Solomons feel very supportive, but forgiving if that makes sense.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant, do you know why your bootfitter said the toe shim was not good for you? It's called a "gas pedal." I've considered having this done to my boots.
He isn't against it, he just said he'd prefer that I buy a boot that has a more suitable ramp angle for me right out of the box and grind the boot board down in the heel vs. adding a gas pedal. I'm not really sure why he prefers that over the gas pedal. I know that changes inside the boot have a different effect than changes outside the boot. I'm not planning to move to new boots anytime soon, and the gas pedal has helped me immensely, so I'm not too worried about it. I bought my current boots mid-season two seasons ago (it's a miracle! I wore a pair of boots for longer than half a season!) when supplies were lower, so just grabbed what I could get for a good price.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@sorcamc I'd think you'd need to size down in the Technica as well to really feel the comparison though right? To me, the flex won't feel the same if the boot isn't hitting everywhere it should. If that makes sense? Though it sounds like you may have found your boot in the Solomon regardless. Just not sure it's quite apples to apples here given how different you felt in the 2 sizes of Solomon as well.

Last edited:

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@sorcamc I'd think you'd need to size down in the Technica as well to really feel the comparison though right? To me, the flex won't feel the same if the boot isn't hitting everywhere it should. If that makes sense? Though it sounds like you may have found your boot in the Solomon regardless. Just not sure it's quite apples to apples here given how different you felt in the 2 sizes of Solomon as well.
that could be definitely be true- I was so frustrated when I got the 225!! Here I am with four pairs of boots and a hubby scratching his head..and me with possible dislocated ribs wondering If there will be a ski season! I will return both pairs of Machs and maybe try again for the 255 before I make the final decision. my feet, for the first time got a little tingly in the salomons and that made me a little nervous!

MissySki

Angel Diva
that could be definitely be true- I was so frustrated when I got the 225!! Here I am with four pairs of boots and a hubby scratching his head..and me with possible dislocated ribs wondering If there will be a ski season! I will return both pairs of Machs and maybe try again for the 255 before I make the final decision. my feet, for the first time got a little tingly in the salomons and that made me a little nervous!

Are you planning to go to a bootfitter for little tweaks by any chance? I wouldn’t necessarily be too worried if you got a little tingly, with nothing having been done to them. In my case my foot was doing the same until he stretched the sides where my forefoot gets compressed. Much better now, but I don’t doubt that I could still need a little more space if things don’t pack in a more during break in. Then again I just do not have a foot shape that can ski a boot out of the box if I want an aggressive fit. Well, I have but not without excruciating pain.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I think I would win a low-volume skinny foot/ankle/heel contest especially in relation to my height at 5'5". I miss the days of narrow shoes being an option. That being said, many of you know my boot sagas, but some of you don't. The only boots that really work for me are junior race boots, and even those I have to put after market liners in to snug them up (I have Zipfits in them now and don't think I'll go back to any other kind of liner ever again.) I'm currently in a Rossignol Hero ZJ (Z is their race series, J indicates junior.) They are a 92mm last (so about 86mm at a 22.5) a 110 flex and I have not felt the need to soften them. They have a really nice, smooth flex. I did need to have significant work done on them to lessen the boot ramp angle as the heel on a shorter boot, especially a race boot, can be significantly higher than the toe, which can really screw up your dynamic fore/aft balance. We put toe "shims" on the boot sole, but in the future, I've been advised to buy a pair of boots with a lower built in ramp angle in the boot board, or have that ground down instead of lifting the toe. My next boot will probably be a Fischer junior race boot because they do have a bit lower built-in ramp angle. I also have toe shims under one of my ski's bindings. A lot of bindings have a 5mm or greater difference in heel vs. toe height and it really screws me up.

My experience with so many boots over the past 7 years is that fore/after balance has a huge impact on how the flex feels. I think if you are balanced properly in that plane, you can ski a much stiffer boot than you might think.
Wow. Thanks, yea I think there is plenty of room to tinker. I just need to figure out who to go to. I'm thinking someone in Ludlow so the first ski week in December I can get them tweaked and ski a few days.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you planning to go to a bootfitter for little tweaks by any chance? I wouldn’t necessarily be too worried if you got a little tingly, with nothing having been done to them. In my case my foot was doing the same until he stretched the sides where my forefoot gets compressed. Much better now, but I don’t doubt that I could still need a little more space if things don’t pack in a more during break in. Then again I just do not have a foot shape that can ski a boot out of the box if I want an aggressive fit. Well, I have but not without excruciating pain.
yes, will def go see fitter after a few days of skiing, these may not need much at all!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@sorcamc … did you have a footbed in the 255s when you were trying them? Mine will tingle in 255 without a footbed - both flatten and due to what is probably a neuroma (denial is powerful), but feel great with a pair of superfeet… and will HURT after a day of skiing in a bigger boot. FWIW.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly