• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Seeking advice on obtaining a mountain bike (cross country)

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Another diva still riding a 26er! I got back into MTB during covid and due to supply chain issues, and also being very short (in stature and also in cash LOL!) I had my old MTBs repaired and have been riding them. Both my circa 2005 mtbs needed the brakes replaced and forks rebuilt, but I am having a blast riding them again. I have a strong preference for my FS on all but the most flowy trails now... but we have been riding at Ascutney, Kingdom, ADKs, and yesterday my new favorite, Elm Ridge.
Hahaha, I still ride my 1996-era Cannondale M800, with first generation Girven Vector forks (the one with the big single elastomer) and second generation Shimano Spuds (clipless pedals). In fact my husband took it to the bike shop for a service and everyone came out to look at it as it is apparently extremely vintage.

A couple of years ago I went to a bike shop to get hubby a new bake and we had a conversation that went along the lines of:
Them: what size wheels do you want?
Me: Erm,? 26?
Them: doesn't exist anymore, 27.5 or 29. What groupset do you want?
Me: Erm? LX?
Them: Doesn't exist anymore. What shift system?
Me: Erm, thumbshifts?
Them: Doesn't exist anymore

And so on. In the end I pointed to a red one and said "that one". Job done.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t updated in a while … I found an awesome beginner class/clinic! There is a local group called Life’s 2 Shirt Fitness that offers beginner classes and ongoing opportunities for women to engage for mountain biking, trail running and paddleboarding. They offer a weekly class format so it’s 2 hours/week for six weeks. I really like it because you have an opportunity to go out on your own and practice in between classes. We’re halfway through and I’m blown away at how much I’ve already improved and learned. I’m really enjoying it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven’t updated in a while … I found an awesome beginner class/clinic! There is a local group called Life’s 2 Shirt Fitness that offers beginner classes and ongoing opportunities for women to engage for mountain biking, trail running and paddleboarding. They offer a weekly class format so it’s 2 hours/week for six weeks. I really like it because you have an opportunity to go out on your own and practice in between classes. We’re halfway through and I’m blown away at how much I’ve already improved and learned. I’m really enjoying it!
How fun is that !

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was hoping to maybe find some riding partners but we’ll see. Everyone seems pretty quiet and reserved and I am …. not that. And I feel awkward because I haven’t been able to keep my mouth shut and pretend I have more social graces.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OH! And here is an interesting tidbit I learned… I have a harder time turning on the bike on the same side I have a harder time turning on skis. My dominant side is apparently dominant in All The Things!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OH! And here is an interesting tidbit I learned… I have a harder time turning on the bike on the same side I have a harder time turning on skis. My dominant side is apparently dominant in All The Things!
Hmmm that’s really interesting…. I’m pondering this concept (and trying imagine snow) for sure!

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn’t it? I think if I could figure out why I could probably improve on both, but the techniques are completely different! So who knows.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Isn’t it? I think if I could figure out why I could probably improve on both, but the techniques are completely different! So who knows.
While they are different...I think there are a lot of similarities, especially when it comes down to the basics. To turn left, you distribute more weight onto your right foot. To turn right, you distribute more on your left. You use your "outside edge" on skis, in a similar way you use your "outside foot" on a bike. Upper/lower body separation can very easily be translated to body/bike separation. Stable torso pointing in the direction you want to go. Always looking ahead.

Most (not all) riders/skiers prefer turning to their "non-dominant" side. i.e. most right handed riders prefer turning left. This makes sense, as your left-handed turns are generally controlled by your right side (or you dominant side).

I've never really thought about it, but maybe just working on movements with your non-dominant side would help. Even doing drills that they do in other sports... like kicking a soccer ball with your non-dominant foot. My lacrosse coach used to tell us to do "everything" with our non-dominant hand...even things like brushing your teeth to become more ambidextrous.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're not worlds apart, though. In both cases, you're trying to balance your center of gravity over the skis/bike in a way that gives you maximum hold/traction in turns. You edge your skis and angulate your body in a ski turn for the same reason you lean your bike into a corner and keep your body as centered over the bike as possible.

Soujan

Angel Diva
Hahaha, I still ride my 1996-era Cannondale M800, with first generation Girven Vector forks (the one with the big single elastomer) and second generation Shimano Spuds (clipless pedals). In fact my husband took it to the bike shop for a service and everyone came out to look at it as it is apparently extremely vintage.
My husband has maintained his 2003-ish Klein 26er hardtail. Within the last 2 years, he has upgraded the fork and wheelset. He got everything for pretty cheap since nobody really needs parts for a 26er anymore. He still takes it out riding once in a while and we have gotten stopped on several occasions by guys that want to reminisce about the Klein they used to own. He has no plans of getting rid of it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sweet! My next-door neighbors, a young couple, recently got themselves a couple of inexpensive old hard-tail 26-ers. Our friend who used to own a bike shop got both of their bikes in great shape (an old Gary Fisher and a really cool old Rocky Mountain), and we all helped with suggested rides and tips.
We live adjacent to a ton of singletrack, and it's been REALLY fun seeing them get into mountain biking and having fun.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same. Except my right turns on skis are vastly better than my right turns on my bike! Probably because on skis, I'm turning all the time, and turning a fairly equal amount on both sides. I'm trying to force myself to ride with my left foot down on right turns, and it messes me up so badly. It's kind of comical.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those explanations make sense, @SallyCat and @elemmac. Thanks!

contesstant, that is one thing at least that’s carried over from road biking for me, a little bit. I’m used to raising my inside pedal in turns. But mostly it’s a completely different sport and skillset.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Those explanations make sense, @SallyCat and @elemmac. Thanks!

contesstant, that is one thing at least that’s carried over from road biking for me, a little bit. I’m used to raising my inside pedal in turns. But mostly it’s a completely different sport and skillset.
how to corner mountain biking... the holy grail of skills. Pedals up, down, level...what's a rider to do? In the coaching world the skills for cornering change based on your skill as a riders, plus terrain. It's a never ending progression.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Speaking of which, I'm going to Tahoe tomorrow and bringing my trusty old Voodoo hard tail..... However, I may go to the bike shop and get new pedals, new shoes, get rid of bar ends..... what else ?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Speaking of which, I'm going to Tahoe tomorrow and bringing my trusty old Voodoo hard tail..... However, I may go to the bike shop and get new pedals, new shoes, get rid of bar ends..... what else ?
Shorter stem, wider bars. Tho don't know how wide you can go with old geometry. Flat shoes, flat pedals.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Shorter stem, wider bars. Tho don't know how wide you can go with old geometry. Flat shoes, flat pedals.
I have a short stem and shorter cranks as bike was custom . Probably need a new bike!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna