• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Name Change for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows

Amie H

Angel Diva
Oops, didn't see this post on my phone. I like the new name.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Glad the decision has finally been made.

Helpful to read the details of where the name comes from. I've skied around Tahoe a few times but not that familiar with the layout and sections of Palisades Tahoe.

September 13, 2021

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Glad the decision has finally been made.

Helpful to read the details of where the name comes from. I've skied around Tahoe a few times but not that familiar with the layout and sections of Palisades Tahoe.

September 13, 2021
Palisades super steep area like ski film worthy

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to see a company take such a forthright, positive step, especially in the face of a lot of negative reaction. Kudos to them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
So is Palisades a particular area at one of the resorts?

It's good that they changed it but my first reaction is that it sounds like such a bland corporate name, like a housing or condo development.
I think some of the dare-devil skiing in the announcement video was filmed off Palisades. The former Squaw Valley has a much more storied history than Alpine Meadows.

Funny you should mention housing development . . . this is what turned up when I searched on "palisades tahoe". Wonder what this company will do? :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ummm...there is currently a professional team called the "Football Team". Just sayin'.

Ughhhhhh I can't stand that one!! Figure out a name, any name at all, but just get on with it already. :doh: It's ridiculous to see schedules etc. where they are literally listed as "Football Team". Supposedly a new name is coming in 2022 sometime.

Christy

Angel Diva
Funny you should mention housing development . . . this is what turned up when I searched on "palisades tahoe". Wonder what this company will do? :smile:

I realized that one of our regular vacation rentals here in WA on Orcas Island is in a development called Palisades. There are so many things called Palisades. Natural features, lakes, trails, hotels, apartments, towns, a Hyundai...it's just odd, in this day and age when branding is so important, they didn't choose a more unique name that people would definitely associate with that specific ski resort. But whatever. Glad they changed it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I realized that one of our regular vacation rentals here in WA on Orcas Island is in a development called Palisades. There are so many things called Palisades. Natural features, lakes, trails, hotels, apartments, towns, a Hyundai...it's just odd, in this day and age when branding is so important, they didn't choose a more unique name that people would definitely associate with that specific ski resort. But whatever. Glad they changed it.
Well what I was thinking was everyone is going to want to ski the hike to Palisades area, and believe me, everyone cannot ski that terrain........ Just watch a Warren Miller film.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am completely underwhelmed with this choice. The graphic design is fine but the name is clunky and awkward… doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?! Seems like the naming agency got lost in their strategy documents and forgot to come up for air. Still, I applaud their decision.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Agree. Especially given the effort that went into coming up with the name "Alterra," which is pretty unique. Far more unique than "Epic."

I grew up across the river from the Palisades Parkway in northern NJ. My family would drive across the river from Manhattan and take it up to Bear Mountain Park. I bet there are far more people who know about the Palisades cliffs along the Hudson near New York City than the Palisades area in north Tahoe.

In theory the name is Palisades Tahoe. Although I noticed in a news report that the CEO was just called something like the "Palisades CEO . . ." without "Tahoe." :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well what I was thinking was everyone is going to want to ski the hike to Palisades area, and believe me, everyone cannot ski that terrain........ Just watch a Warren Miller film.
Perhaps not. What most destination resort travelers will want to say is that they went to ski at Palisades Tahoe, then explain that the place is in Warren Miller films, without every having to admit that they weren't about to drop into that sort of terrain. The renaming of the old Squaw base as Olympic Village will mean more to recreational skiers from the east coast who spend more time on groomers than off-piste.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Perhaps not. What most destination resort travelers will want to say is that they went to ski at Palisades Tahoe, then explain that the place is in Warren Miller films, without every having to admit that they weren't about to drop into that sort of terrain. The renaming of the old Squaw base as Olympic Village will mean more to recreational skiers from the east coast who spend more time on groomers than off-piste.
Ah not thinking of the eastern skiers.......

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The majority of East Coast skiers I know are not all groomer skiers, and don’t go West for that. Maybe I just ski with a lot of adventurous people??
And I'm an older adventurous skier........ a real senior citizen !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly