• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Inspiring TED talk

newboots

Angel Diva
Most of you amazing Divas seem to have no trouble getting enough exercise. Me, not so much. I'm in the midst of choosing a gym and hoping I can make it stick!

I ran across this neuroscientist's work and while the concepts were not new to me, her passion and presentation were inspiring! So important to know that exercise is probably more important than crossword puzzles in brain health.

I already know that, but it helps me to have a passionate reminder. :bag:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Most of you amazing Divas seem to have no trouble getting enough exercise. Me, not so much. I'm in the midst of choosing a gym and hoping I can make it stick!

I ran across this neuroscientist's work and while the concepts were not new to me, her passion and presentation were inspiring! So important to know that exercise is probably more important than crossword puzzles in brain health.

I already know that, but it helps me to have a passionate reminder. :bag:
Did you mean to include a link?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haven't listened yet, but the first very simplified answer to physical exercise vs crossword puzzles or 'brain games' is increased oxygen and blood flow. Nourishes the body. Very useful.

Best gym is the one you will actually go to! Closer to home tends to be better for the less motivated so one can't get into the 'it's SOOOOO far and I don't feel like driving' mentality. And one where you feel comfortable. Staff from the front desk on needs to make you feel wanted and/or valued. Now for the gym rats .... (me in other lives), they just go because they are hooked! Best of luck finding a place where you will go. You know I have more than a few shirts with 'Movement Heals' printed on them!

newboots

Angel Diva
You know I have more than a few shirts with 'Movement Heals' printed on them!

I do know!

There are two gyms close to me. One, a Planet Fitness, is closer, and much cheaper ($10!), but one has to cross the Newburgh-Beacon bridge to get there. This bridge has been under construction since my kids moved here, at least 6 years ago, and there is no sign it's letting up. I-84 crosses the Hudson here, and it's a crap shoot every time you cross. Could take 10 minutes to get to that gym, or 2.5 hours. [I'm not exaggerating.]

The other is a little farther, with mostly manageable traffic. It's called AllSport. It's expensive ($60/mo), gorgeous, has a million classes, 4 pools (one indoor), a women's workout room, beautiful locker rooms, a quiet yoga room, circuit training and every machine there is, etc.

I've been trying to figure out which would keep me going! I'm one of those folks who has been known to let her gym membership lie fallow. Would I get sick of Planet Fitness after one long-term stay on the bridge? (Yes) Would I be more likely to follow through if I paid more? (Maybe) Would I be more likely to go to a place that's beautiful? (Yes.) Do I want to pay so much more? (NO!)

So far, I've joined neither. Waiting for a mildly twisted ankle to quit complaining. And procrastinating!

MissySki

Angel Diva
What do you like to do at the gym? Anything that you’d like to do from home too? There are so many options now virtually.

I would also usually let my gym memberships go unused, so I feel your pain!

Jilly

Staff member
I use a personal trainer. That is something that Planet Fitness really doesn't have. So what is the best way to motivate you? I need someone to push me safely, that's Tanya.

I had a Planet Fitness membership, but it was to only use the bikes and other cardio equipment. I felt their "classes" were useless! Then I didn't get to PF so I let it go. Covid hit, so I'm sort of glad I quit before it.

newboots

Angel Diva
I need to do some supervised strength training, and I need to get more consistent in my exercising. (I'm notorious for injuring myself while trying to get fit.)

I would love to take regular yoga classes (and they have my favorite - restorative yoga!) at the expensive gym. They also have inexpensive 1:1 personal training. If working out can become more sociable, I will do it more.

The Planet Fitness has "personal training" in free group classes. There was no information about the qualifications of the trainer; I'll have to find that out. No yoga, so I might well end up paying for yoga classes. I wonder if that would add up enough to make that $50 difference. Probably - one class a week?

newboots

Angel Diva
@Jilly - Very. Good. Point!

I need some time with a personal trainer. I have to learn to perfect my form. I still screw up my old PT exercises whenever I get distracted. Gotta do them right, or else!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do know!

There are two gyms close to me. One, a Planet Fitness, is closer, and much cheaper ($10!), but one has to cross the Newburgh-Beacon bridge to get there. This bridge has been under construction since my kids moved here, at least 6 years ago, and there is no sign it's letting up. I-84 crosses the Hudson here, and it's a crap shoot every time you cross. Could take 10 minutes to get to that gym, or 2.5 hours. [I'm not exaggerating.]

The other is a little farther, with mostly manageable traffic. It's called AllSport. It's expensive ($60/mo), gorgeous, has a million classes, 4 pools (one indoor), a women's workout room, beautiful locker rooms, a quiet yoga room, circuit training and every machine there is, etc.

I've been trying to figure out which would keep me going! I'm one of those folks who has been known to let her gym membership lie fallow. Would I get sick of Planet Fitness after one long-term stay on the bridge? (Yes) Would I be more likely to follow through if I paid more? (Maybe) Would I be more likely to go to a place that's beautiful? (Yes.) Do I want to pay so much more? (NO!)

So far, I've joined neither. Waiting for a mildly twisted ankle to quit complaining. And procrastinating!

Another extremely important question, especially for one known to let a gym membership languish unused: can you get out of the membership without penalty at the $60 a month place? Or are you locked in for a period of time plus possibly an initial membership fee? At least at planet fitness you can cancel anytime. A lot of the more upscale gyms lock you into a membership for a period of time.

if what you were looking for is a personal trainer you can also start a search for one of those without joining a gym. Depending on the area there are trainers who will come to you or have a small space and you can go to them. That way you are only paying for the training session. Because at most pricier facilities you still pay for personal training on top of the membership. There are certain certifications which tend to be more reputable than others. But start to see if there are independent trainers in your area.

Jilly

Staff member
Planet Fitness made me sign for a least a year of membership, before I could get out of it. Or cost me more.

Along with what @Abbi is saying, maybe your Physio knows of someone. That's how I got Tanya was through them. I've moved gyms with her. She's actually an independent contractor with the gym.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I need to do some supervised strength training, and I need to get more consistent in my exercising. (I'm notorious for injuring myself while trying to get fit.)

I would love to take regular yoga classes (and they have my favorite - restorative yoga!) at the expensive gym. They also have inexpensive 1:1 personal training. If working out can become more sociable, I will do it more.

The Planet Fitness has "personal training" in free group classes. There was no information about the qualifications of the trainer; I'll have to find that out. No yoga, so I might well end up paying for yoga classes. I wonder if that would add up enough to make that $50 difference. Probably - one class a week?

Maybe you could do the Planet Fitness "personal training" and then do yoga virtually? Not to constantly be a plug for Peloton, but their monthly app is really cheap (I think ~$12/month) and they have a TON of yoga classes. The best part to me is that you can filter it down to exactly what type of yoga, body area focus, and class length you want. They do have restorative yoga as well if that's your jam. There's a free 30 day trial, so easy to check out and kick to the curb if it doesn't entice you to commit.

I used to do virtual yoga classes at the beginning of the pandemic that were live from a studio in Providence, but that got pricey after awhile and I couldn't justify it with the Peloton. I really like all of the classes on the app though including the strength ones, but obviously you don't get the benefit of someone watching your form etc. if you are wanting that.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Planet Fitness made me sign for a least a year of membership, before I could get out of it. Or cost me more.

Along with what @Abbi is saying, maybe your Physio knows of someone. That's how I got Tanya was through them. I've moved gyms with her. She's actually an independent contractor with the gym.
Interesting. Here PF is no commitment. Get our whenever. Very helpful at the start of the pandemic.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Not to constantly be a plug for Peloton, but their monthly app is really cheap (I think ~$12/month) and they have a TON of yoga classes.
I’m a convert to Peloton digital after trying it as part of my credit card’s benefit for the rest of this year. I started with cycling, then strength training, and I plan to try yoga next.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Abbi - I checked. I can quit. The personal training is not free there, but it's quite reasonable.

@MissySki - There is barely room in this apartment for me! Some of my skis are stored at my daughter's house! No room for Peloton, but thanks!

Its frustrating being so new around here. But I think I may try the expensive one. Makes more sense than paying separately for a gym and for yoga, and the "personal training" at PF seems unlikely to be top-notch.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, good luck making a gym routine click!!

I really struggled to get consistent exercise in the skiing off season. I needed this reminder that exercise is so important for both short and long term health and brain function. I've struggled with my ski fitness this year and I think it's because I came into the season so very unfit (whereas last season I was actually much more fit because I had been walking a TON every single day over the covid lockdowns, which immediately predated my 2020 ski season).

My issues are gyms that are very crowded, because I go in the peak times of the day along with everyone else. I just get stressed when I have to wait around for long periods of time to try to seize the machine or equipment I need, and stop going. So I totally understand the difficulty.

@MissySki that peloton digital looks pretty cool, I may check it out, thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m a convert to Peloton digital after trying it as part of my credit card’s benefit for the rest of this year. I started with cycling, then strength training, and I plan to try yoga next.

Just as an fyi to you and anyone else who might be interested in Peloton strength classes.. If you're on Facebook there's a great group called "hardCORE on the floor" where someone creates a monthly calendar of classes to follow along with. It is GREAT, and I highly recommend it if you are like me and don't love trying to keep rack of which classes to take to take to rotate through body areas. Everyday has 10 minutes of core (I LOVE Peloton's core classes, they are super effective if you do it consistently), and then switches through arms, legs/glutes, chest/back, etc. with some days including yoga, pilates, and barre. I don't follow the calendar exactly and switch things up sometimes, but I really like to do it a few times per week at least.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Just as an fyi to you and anyone else who might be interested in Peloton strength classes.. If you're on Facebook there's a great group called "hardCORE on the floor" where someone creates a monthly calendar of classes to follow along with. It is GREAT, and I highly recommend it if you are like me and don't love trying to keep rack of which classes to take to take to rotate through body areas. Everyday has 10 minutes of core (I LOVE Peloton's core classes, they are super effective if you do it consistently), and then switches through arms, legs/glutes, chest/back, etc. with some days including yoga, pilates, and barre. I don't follow the calendar exactly and switch things up sometimes, but I really like to do it a few times per week at least.

I've been thinking about trying the Peloton classes forever, and this schedule looks nice -- I hate trying to figure out that kind of exercise scheduling stuff. How many days a week do you do? They have 2-3 classes a day every day, though I guess many are quite short... Of course, even one class a week would be better than what I'm doing now, which is nothing, so maybe I should just start. :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
No room for Peloton, but thanks!

Oh, and not very much room to exercise, either. To do my PT exercises on a mat, I have to keep rearranging myself (and sometimes the furniture)!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly