• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Covid Vaccine advice/Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Did anyone get the J&J shot? If you did how bad were the side effects? Any shot recommendations that are the easiest and least side effects?
Thanks advance skiers and riders.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
What do you recommend for women in their 50’s that are allergic to antibiotics

marzNC

Angel Diva
What do you recommend for women in their 50’s that are allergic to antibiotics
If you post just a bit more, you could participate in the Divas Only thread about COVID-19 in general. If you haven't already, starting a Getting To Know You Thread is one way to easily get in a few posts. Don't need to be long or about skiing or anything in particular.

I have a background in statistics, not medicine, so can't help answer your question.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Okay. I am all by myself and very fit healthy in my 50’s. I have no family to help me in case of an emergency. I have been excellent during the past 2 years of the pandemic with no shots. I don’t take antibiotics because it doesn’t work and I get hives and a rash all over. I take lots of Vitamin D,C,Magnesium,fish oil ,collagen,glutamine and Bcaas.
I don’t drink or smoke anything. I am very fit looking and get asked out by 20 somethings. Then when I tell them my age they fall over. Now with vaccine mandates appearing all over the place I am extremely terrified of having to get this miserable shot that I have been reading about in the other threads of everyone suffering.
Is the J&J really safe for women? I really would dread getting 2 shots.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Have you spoken to your doctor? That really would be the best place to start. Everyone's reaction is so different, it doesn't really matter how one shot or another affected someone else. There are definitely threads on this site that outline how different people reacted to the same shot.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I only have a GYN that sees me once a year. I don’t have a primary care physician because it takes way too long to see them if you are sick. A few years ago I had a sinus infection and went to Urgent Care they gave me antibiotics and that was useless.
Probiotics is what finally got me better and that was because I spoke with an alternative medicine man. Western medicine has many flaws in my personal experience. I do best with natural healing, but people feel that that’s being selfish. I feel do what works and don’t worry about what other people think. Thank you for responding

altagirl

Staff member
If your GYN is the doctor who knows you best, it might be worth calling their office to ask about it. Also - I've had good luck with calling for a telemedicine appointment to speak with a doctor about things during the pandemic. It wouldn't hurt to discuss your concerns and antibiotic reactions and get their input on whether or not that should have any effect on vaccine reactions. Lots of us didn't have any side effects to speak of with the vaccines, but if you have a specific allergic reaction you're worried about, I think it's worth seeking a professional opinion.

MissySki

Angel Diva
What she said! ^ :smile:

I didn't mean to blow off your concerns at all btw, and it's great to reach out to discuss with others here if you feel comfortable doing so. Just wanted to caution that the reaction, or not, is so individual. For example, I had the Moderna vaccines and had no reaction except a mild headache (that may or may not have been because of it) after the first shot and felt pretty bad like I had the flu the day after the second shot. No big deal though, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I know others who received all vaccines who had no issues at all with any of their shots, and then I know just a few people who had more of a reaction where they went to a doctor to get checked. Even the worse reactions worked out just fine in the end though.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
It sounds like the shot doesn’t hit you immediately. From what I am hearing you could probably get it right before work and it will hit you the next day. So, you could get it on a Friday and go to work then plan on feeling crappy all weekend?

Christy

Angel Diva
The people that I know that felt a little poorly after (generally, just fatigued, and maybe some chills) did indeed have those symptoms the next day rather than the same day. And like you are saying, I know plenty of people that either proactively took the next day off work or did it on a Friday just in case.

I personally had no symptoms with either shot (Pfizer) and in fact if I hadn't definitely felt the jab I would have thought that the nurse had missed! (I am in my 50s also. My 80+ year old parents didn't have any symptoms either).

lisamamot

Angel Diva
It sounds like the shot doesn’t hit you immediately. From what I am hearing you could probably get it right before work and it will hit you the next day. So, you could get it on a Friday and go to work then plan on feeling crappy all weekend?
From what I have personally experienced with family and friends, the reaction pattern seems pretty typical across the manufacturers; reactions generally hit you 6-10 hours after the shot, and last less than a day.

-J&J my sister was achy overnight, but fine the next day.
-Pfizer I had no reaction to the 1st shot, and less than a day of under the weather with the 2nd.
-Moderna my daughter had no reaction to the 1st shot and less than a day of mild reaction to 2nd; she had previously had COVID.

I am 56, my sister is 59 and my daughter is 21. My mom is 81 and did fine too (I believe she got Pfizer).

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Glad to hear that everyone is ok. I heard about blood clots on the J&J shot, but I am hoping that is rare.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Lately, I think I am finally going through menopause because I just get hot for no reason and I am 54. Is anyone else in their 50’s feeling this

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi there, I echo the recommendation to talk to your doctor about vaccines.

I am a scientist (immunologist, but not infectious diseases), healthy woman in my late 30s. I have gotten J&J vaccine and felt nothing basically, maybe a little bit tired one day but that's it. I have seasonal pollen allergies and was a bit worried about side effects of mRNA vaccines so I went with J&J vaccine I also liked that it's a one shot vaccine.

The serious side effects for J&J vaccine are exceptionally rare - the blood clots are 1 in 1 million, I think we take more risk every time we drive a car. The vaccine technology (adenovirus vector) that J&J COVID vaccine uses is based on a technology that has been approved for use as Ebola vaccine in Europe and was in clinical trials for the last 3 years (since 2018). So J&J vaccine is based on vaccine technology that has been tested in people for the last 3 years, we have much more safety data on it if that is what concerns you.

I know my other 2 co-workers who have gotten J&J vaccine and had little to no side effects, my personal anecdotal experience that J&J gives less side effects. There are some CDC publications that J&J has less side effects, however J&J vaccine is less efficacious in COVID prevention then mRNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna. So everyone can chose a vaccine that is right for them.

Fortunately I had a choice and access to both Pfizer and J&J vaccine. I went with J&J vaccine and am happy with my choice. I also know several people who have gotten sick enough to seek medical attention after the 2nd shot of mRNA vaccine, but they recovered ok, no long term effects.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, that sounds like good ole menopause. Just call them power surges and if it really bothers talk to your OB-GYN.

As for shots. I had both Pfizer. Sore arm for 2 days on both. Fatigue and minor headache on the second shot. My book keeper had the same reaction. She has some IB issues, so they actually kept her an extra 15 minutes after the shots. Another staff member has Psoriasis and is still feeling fatigued after 2 weeks. The underlying condition is factoring in here I'm sure.

All of us booked our shots for Friday, just in case.

Canada didn't give us the option for J&J.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Did anyone get the J&J shot? If you did how bad were the side effects? Any shot recommendations that are the easiest and least side effects?
Thanks advance skiers and riders.
Hi. I did. I was very cold for a few hours, went to bed with 4 blankets...woke up a few hours later sweating. Then I was fine, except a slight headache for 2 days. Good luck

altagirl

Staff member
I got both of mine on a Saturday morning and planned to rest the remainder of the weekend and ... really didn't need to at all (I maybe was a bit tired and my arm was a little sore for both shots) but it was nice to actually plan to relax and binge watch TV shows all weekend guilt free. :tongue: I also really hydrated and ate as healthfully as I could and just babied myself for the weekend just in case. Can't hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly