• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Gloves

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In looking for info on how to maintain golf gloves, I found a non-leather option from CaddyDaddy.

Women's gloves are $22.99, free shipping and handling.

altagirl

Staff member
I've never done anything special... for golf or biking gloves. If they get dirty enough (rare with golf here...) I throw them in the washing machine. They need a little reshaping but are typically fine. But other than that I just use them until they are too damaged/worn from use and throw them out.

I may be missing something though!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I put about 30 days of use on one glove and it got ugly. My golf grips are black and that seems to be rubbing off onto the glove. I've had the clubs for years -- maybe 20 -- and not used them. Maybe the grips are degrading wrt the dye.

Anyway, I hand-washed the glove. Put it on, applied Dawn, rubbed it with the other hand, used a sponge on the worst areas. Rinsed and rinsed with cool water. Air dried. And voila! It's still kind of grungy, but has shrunk, like, a full size. The parts that velcro around the wrist juuuust reach the end of my palm. The fingers are too tight. And my hand would probably go numb if I tried to grip a club for very long.

The glove was new (unused) when I started lessons this year. Like the clubs, it has been lying around for years, but in its original packaging.

On to the 2nd glove. And ordering one of the synthetics.

altagirl

Staff member
I put about 30 days of use on one glove and it got ugly. My golf grips are black and that seems to be rubbing off onto the glove. I've had the clubs for years -- maybe 20 -- and not used them. Maybe the grips are degrading wrt the dye.

Anyway, I hand-washed the glove. Put it on, applied Dawn, rubbed it with the other hand, used a sponge on the worst areas. Rinsed and rinsed with cool water. Air dried. And voila! It's still kind of grungy, but has shrunk, like, a full size. The parts that velcro around the wrist juuuust reach the end of my palm. The fingers are too tight. And my hand would probably go numb if I tried to grip a club for very long.

The glove was new (unused) when I started lessons this year. Like the clubs, it has been lying around for years, but in its original packaging.

On to the 2nd glove. And ordering one of the synthetics.

Ah - I wonder if that IS from the grip degrading? I've never run into that before, but I've swapped out the grips on every club so they all match and I have the same alignment marks on all my clubs (well, other than my putter). So even on my older used clubs, they have new grips so that could explain why I've never had that happen.

I have more experience with MTB gloves and have had some of them shrink a bit in the wash, but I do put them back on when they're still wet to re-form them to my hand just in case and that usually does the trick. I'd try getting it wet again, put it on wet and stretch it back to the shape of your hand and see if that helps? There are so many possible materials though that it's hard to say if they all act the same. Most of my gloves are leather, but some are synthetics.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yep, grips degrade. Although I had my tennis racket re-gripped more than golf clubs since I played that sport for more years before quitting for assorted reasons.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. I inspected the grips today. There's no sign of deterioration, but they're the only black thing the glove comes in contact with so it has to be the grips.

As soon as I build more consistency into my swing and contact, I'll be demoing clubs with my instructor and then buying a new set. If I go through a couple of gloves in the meantime, it's no big deal, especially with them being 20 y/o "new" gloves.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd try getting it wet again, put it on wet and stretch it back to the shape of your hand and see if that helps?
Thanks. I rinsed the glove, put it on, and towel-dried it on my hand. When it dried again, it fit better ... reached my wrist, fingers weren't tingling. After it is dry, it's really stiff. If I get into a bind, I can probably use it enough to work that out. But I'm trying out other gloves as I go so I should have backups.

kiki

Angel Diva
I use mesh gloves on sunny days and they only last about 20 uses before they have to be replaced as the mesh wrips on the fingernails
1628884698267.png
I use black rain gloves like these on non sunny days they last a very long time and never look dirty.
1628884748023.png

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found an interesting glove by Maxfli -- one size fits all. I think that was mostly synthetic, but had a leather patch on the outer palm. IIRC, it also had some mesh. I have small hands, so I figured it would be too big. It fit well, still having a little compression even on my hand. It washed well and fit like new when it dried. I thought I had found my glove, but the fabric on the thumb started showing some damage too soon.

On to Google.

A glove that is recommended for beginners is the FootJoy Weathersof. It is a bit thicker than other gloves ... helps protect hands better if one is practicing a lot. One of the instructors at the pro shop said it probably would be a good choice for me now, that later I may switch to a thinner glove if I want a little more feel of the club. The Weathersof has been really good so far. I do need to put it to the washing/drying test ... mostly to see if the glove shrinks back to its original fit.

I want to try more synthetic gloves, but first I need to determine if sizing is fairly consistent across manufacturers. I know ... that's a lot to ask for!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I've definitely seen my glove become black as the grips started to degrade -- sometimes it's not obvious until they get really bad, but that black material will really make a glove ugly.
I also never use "leather" gloves - only fully synthetic - since I found out that "glove leather" is often dog skin, as it's really thin and soft; ladies' dress gloves, too, btw.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, ahem, "had occasion" to visit a golf club repair shop. I explained I am a beginner and plan to replace my clubs in the next couple of months. I think he was trying to educate me -- he recommended I take a nylon brush to my grips, along a little soap, and scrub the shine off. The shine represents use and means the grip will have less grip.

I scrubbed all the grips and rinsed off gray-colored soap. I expect to find much less staining on my gloves from now on. It may be that the grips have begun to degrade and this scrubbing will just extend their life a bit while I get ready for demoing clubs. If so, that's good enough for me.

@TNtoTaos -- what gloves do you like? I would much prefer to use synthetic gloves. I have found no all-synthetic gloves in local stores, so I expect to have to go thru a bit of trial-and-error with online suppliers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I, ahem, "had occasion" to visit a golf club repair shop. I explained I am a beginner and plan to replace my clubs in the next couple of months. I think he was trying to educate me -- he recommended I take a nylon brush to my grips, along a little soap, and scrub the shine off. The shine represents use and means the grip will have less grip.

I scrubbed all the grips and rinsed off gray-colored soap. I expect to find much less staining on my gloves from now on. It may be that the grips have begun to degrade and this scrubbing will just extend their life a bit while I get ready for demoing clubs. If so, that's good enough for me.

@TNtoTaos -- what gloves do you like? I would much prefer to use synthetic gloves. I have found no all-synthetic gloves in local stores, so I expect to have to go thru a bit of trial-and-error with online suppliers.
Ohh yes, good idea! My instructor told me this as well, when I initially asked about care/cleaning maintenance of my clubs this season. He said to just take an old tooth brush and dish soap to club heads regularly to get off dirt and grime. Then less frequently to do the grips as well, and that extends their life quite a bit.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The glove I'm using now is Zero Friction, but I also want to try the Women's Claw, by Caddy Daddy, and this Finger Ten glove. It's getting easier to find full-synthetic gloves than it used to be, but I shop on Amazon, since supplies of women's equipment is usually pretty limited at local golf shops.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @TNtoTaos! I looked at both The Claw and something from FingerTen previously. I was going to order Medium, but hesitated because it seemed as if I was between sizes. I've been wearing a Small recently, so it seems that is a better starting point.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tips, ladies.

My clubs are about 20 years old. For the past 14 years, I’ve played less than 10 rounds, two of which were this year, once in May and then Friday. My grips are fine but I was chastised by a friend for never cleaning my club heads. My gloves stay relatively clean.

I played the best 9 holes of my life on Friday. It was totally surreal…and a fluke. At one point I so wanted to upgrade my clubs, but Friday made me realize that my current clubs are just fine!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Congrats on your flukey round, LOL. That happens to me, too, when I haven't played in a while -- I chalk it up to forgetting my bad habits. Unfortunately, I remember them pretty quickly ASA I start playing regularly again.

LPGA Amateurs recently offered a free club fitting at Club Champions for anyone willing to fill out a survey on how you play (doing research on womens clubs), so I signed up, and had my fitting 2 wks ago. O.M.G. -- what an experience! My clubs are also about 9-10 yrs old, and once I had the computer analyzing my play with them, and comparing them to the clubs that the Fitter had me try (all custom - they mix and match different heads with shafts, etc, to find the best combo for you), I couldn't believe the difference, both in distance and accuracy! With my 6-iron, I gained about 2-3 mph in swing speed, tripled my loft, and about 30 yds in carry distance using a Cobra T-rail Hybrid Iron, not to mention the accuracy improvement! I also had some improvement with my driver, but not nearly as much as with the irons.

I hadn't been planning on buying new clubs this yr, (ahem), but after seeing the unbelievable improvement with the irons, I couldn't resist ordering a set (I'll wait until next yr for the driver). They gave me a printout of my stats, so I can just call and order the driver anytime.

They took about 1.5 wks to arrive, and now I can't wait until my regular Tuesday league to try them out!

For anyone who'd never had a club fitting experience, I highly recommend it -- esp if you're even considering buying new clubs. At Club Champions, if you end up purchasing clubs, the fitting charge is waived.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TNtoTaos, thanks for sharing your club fitting story. My clubs were fitted way back when with softer shaft and proper lengths when I first started playing, late hubby was an avid golfer and knew what to get me. In retrospect, so glad I took up golf because we had some amazing time playing in Ireland and Hawaii. I didn’t play for years because I was focused on the fear of missing him.

In contrast, he also taught me how to ski and I overcame that reluctance within a couple of years. I do recall first time returning to Alta with friends, I peeled off to ski a run solo, then sat in the snow at a spectacularly beautiful and quiet spot for a while with tears in my eyes thinking of him. He’s be shocked with how addicted I am to skiing now!

How fortunate I feel for all the new ski buddies and friends I’ve made since he’s been gone. Clearly I can develop the same attitude toward golfing as skiing.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@Rainbow Jenny, it is so heartwarming to hear of the beautiful memories you have of your hubby; I'm sure he's thrilled that you're building on the skills he taught you and enjoying these sports. I have met some of my closest friends through skiing and tennis, and have many new friends from golf now, as well. The great thing about golf is that it's a sport you can continue to play for as long as you can swing a club, so it, too, becomes pretty addicting, and the friends long-lasting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly