• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alternatives to Saucony running shoes

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Xero shoes. The company is a Colorado (Broomfield) company. Originally they made sandals but have branched out to a complete line of shoes. I wear nothing else.

I discovered this company when I was having peroneal tendon issues. I workout barefoot and after a time my forefoot spread and my regular shoes didn't fit well and irritated the peroneal tendon. Fortunately, I was able to go to Broomfield and try some shoes on. I ended up with the Prio's. Now I have an entire closet full of Xero's. I even have boot styles that I was never able to wear because of my high instep. Bad news is there are great sales in late summer/early fall. So hard to resist.
I forgot to add that many minimalist shoes bother my forefoot. To address this issue Xero added an extra strip of padding under the forefoot. Makes a huge difference in how the foot feels.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore Saucony back some years ago and like Topo. I tried zero drop a long time mainly with Merrells and found nagging ankle issues. Altra in general feel a little sloppy on my foot. My PT recommended the Topo it does have a broad toe box and narrower heel. I have 3mm and 5mm drop versions. Might be worth considering.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO this is so personal depending on your feet. Where I get running shoes they do the whole 3D scan of your feet, assess your gait, have you go outside and walk or run in the shoes, etc etc.

so true! Kind of like skis! I have in my quiver of running shoes Saucony, Hoka One One, and Altras. Multiple pairs of each. I like them all. But if I’m actually running on pavement the Altra brand just doesn’t have enough padding under the forefoot for me. That said I have old feet that are an absolute mess!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
so true! Kind of like skis! I have in my quiver of running shoes Saucony, Hoka One One, and Altras. Multiple pairs of each. I like them all. But if I’m actually running on pavement the Altra brand just doesn’t have enough padding under the forefoot for me. That said I have old feet that are an absolute mess!
Bet the Hokas have plenty of padding !!!! I've had several pairs over the years. BF has about 6 pairs even Hoka hiking boots.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I found a good deal on a pair of Hoka Challenger ATR 5 which sounded like a good road/trail option. Very comfy - the forefoot felt a bit tight initially but has stretched a little now so fits nicely. I've done a couple of shorter walks and run about 25k in them so far.

Also picked up a pair of very pink Salming Elements on a huge discount - they fit ok, not tried running in them yet but reckon they might be good for running on muddy trails.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote for Altra and Xero. I have very wide short feet so the big toebox is wonderful. The Altras (Lone peak 5) I only use for running though. Theyre just a slight bit too narrow so I cant use them for standing long periods of time at work. I think my Xeros are the mens Prio . They're great for every day wear but also not great for work.
I had Saucony shoes when I was in Army basic training and they were the worst most painful shoes I ever worn. Clearly were the wrong shoe for my foot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly