• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Re: longer trips in an electric vehicle, during last summer's desperate pandemic planning, I was doing some research on the feasibility of car camping - as in sleeping in - my hybrid Kia Niro (which I didn't end up doing) and came across this story of how a couple made a cross-country trip in the plug-in electric version of the Niro (the story contains a lot of minutia, so I mostly skimmed it, but it's very educational if you actually wanted to go on this kind of trip).

As far as a ski car goes, this little hatchback has worked fine for me doing solo ski trips on the East Coast mostly on good roads, but would be inadequate for the OP! Look at how pretty the color is though :smile:kianiro2016cerulean.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
@yogiskier I will read that blog post, thanks! It's funny--I started out thinking all electric would be too inconvenient, too much of a hassle. Maybe if we only had one car it could be. But really, how many trips over 300 miles do we take? And charging is now seeming like less of a hassle than getting gas, since for our regular needs we can do it at home.

I actually had an incident the other day that brought this point home. I'll spare you the blow by blow but essentially, my low fuel light came on on I-5 without any convenient gas statations around (but in the city), but I was late to my volunteer job because it took me so long to make my way to a gas station then get back on my route. If I'd been driving electric I would have been all charged up at home.

I like that color too. It's been surprising, as we've car shopped, how few blue cars we are finding on lots. It's all silver, black or white. BORING. (Also the Highlander is silver and our last pickup was silver, so I'm ready to move on).

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m told that there was a lot of extra silver paint!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love everyone's blue cars :smile: when I bought my current car, one of my criteria was actually that it should be either blue or some bold colour (but preferably blue). Of course it looks extra nice in snow :love:

1618200645101.png

I like the colour a lot! It's a bit more teal/turquoise-y in some lights.

1618200776037.png

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@Christy - did you see yesterday’s announcement for the Audi e-tron Q4? What’d you think? Too small? I’m thinking it might be my next car, but not until 2023. Not sure if it makes 100% sense to have two electric cars in our household, but fast charging is being built up quickly and it does seem that electric cars are the future.

Christy

Angel Diva
@Christy - did you see yesterday’s announcement for the Audi e-tron Q4? What’d you think? Too small? I’m thinking it might be my next car, but not until 2023. Not sure if it makes 100% sense to have two electric cars in our household, but fast charging is being built up quickly and it does seem that electric cars are the future.

Ha, I had my calendar set for the video program, and I watched the whole show. The hot guy from Bridgerton was on it! I love it and think it's perfect for us. Smaller is good in the city, and we have a tight turn from our alley into our garage, where the charger is. We've taken trips with a large breed dog, all of our ski/camping gear in our Prius and everything fits, so I'm fine with the space in the Q4 (the regular not the Sportback). I do wish it had an inch more clearance, but it's not that big a deal.

What I really wish is that we could put a deposit down and get on a waiting list. I love the Tesla sales model. I've been disappointed with recent car shopping--you are just supposed to want the colors and trim levels the dealer happens to have.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just ordered a Model S Plaid and they want to nickel and dime me for $750 extra delivery fee when there is no service center near me to pick up my purchase. I’d have to say Tesla’s sales experience has gone downhill in recent years, since they launched the Model 3/Y.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just ordered a Model S Plaid and they want to nickel and dime me for $750 extra delivery fee when there is no service center near me to pick up my purchase. I’d have to say Tesla’s sales experience has gone downhill in recent years, since they launched the Model 3/Y.

I don't understand these fees. Audi/Volvo were more like 1500-2000, though I do have nearby dealers.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Ugh, I can see why they’d charge that to deliver the 3 or Y but that’s a $120k car — white glove service should be the norm when you’re buying a consumer good that costs as much as a house in the Midwest!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't understand these fees. Audi/Volvo were more like 1500-2000, though I do have nearby dealers.
The $1500-2000 is a document and destination fee that is mandatory for all new vehicles. You have to pay it regardless of where you pick up the car. The delivery is a separate fee to actually drop the car off at my home. Tesla did that as a complimentary service for my current S and X because I live more than 500 miles away from the nearest pickup location. I guess not anymore...

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I can see why they’d charge that to deliver the 3 or Y but that’s a $120k car — white glove service should be the norm when you’re buying a consumer good that costs as much as a house in the Midwest!
You’d think so! I am not expecting the red carpet treatment but if I live in a state where Tesla is not allowed to do business in, then they need to have some sort of exception to deliver the car to us for free. They did have free home delivery before but they started charging for it a few months ago. I understand if you just don’t feel like driving an hour or two to pick up the car and want it delivered to your home, then fine, charge a fee. But I am at least 7 hours away and needing delivery is not by choice.
Just a few years back when we test drove the S, Tesla drove the car to us while we were visiting in CA and let us keep the car overnight. We were sold on the car immediately. When we were looking at the X a few years later, we scheduled a test drive in CA. Tesla actually came to the airport to pick us up and let us keep the car for a full week to use for our visit! That kind of sales experience was special. But not anymore.
The only thing I didn’t like about our last 2 purchases was they required payment in full before they’d put my cars on a truck for delivery. So we kissed goodbye to our cash for a purchase sight unseen, unlike a traditional purchase where you could test drive and inspect the car before paying. Both times it took more than 6 weeks after we paid before the cars arrived!! Can you imagine how much interest I could have made in that 6 weeks if the money was kept in my accounts? But what could we do if that’s how they do business.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I am seriously lusting after the new Model S. The ample trunk space makes me think it would be quite practical as a ski car. But we live on a hilly dirt road off a hilly dirt road, so for practical reasons it only makes sense for me to have a car that has a higher clearance. Dr Pugs drives a 3 and had to take my car to work a few times this month due to mud season.

For various reasons, I don’t love my current car (VW Tiguan) and the Q4 seems to check a lot of boxes for me. But I’m going to wait a model year to see how it goes. Would be super curious to see if you proceed @Christy! If you get the blue version, maybe we’ll have matching cars. :love:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I'm so boring compared to all of you.

I'm on my 3rd Honda (19 years: Accord coupe --> Sedan --> Odyssey ... It's absurd how disgustingly cliche that arc is.) ... but honestly, I've loved every car so much that I cannot handle adjusting myself to a different car. Every time I drive something else, I get annoyed.

So, when it makes sense, I think I'm ordering a Pilot. Does anyone have one? I carpool quite a few kids around in normal times for sports and events and have decided after 16 years in WI that I *DO* need AWD.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Iwannaski — we had an AWD Acura MDX (so basically the same thing as a Honda pilot). The third row seating was tight but definitely fine for kids around town type carpooling. There are some known oil issues with the engines in certain years and the lack of warranty support for that (our engine only burned .8 L/1000 mi and it needed to burn 1.0 L for us to get service after this whole drawn out getting oil changes at the dealership and having it checked for 6 months deal) Do your homework before buying for sure. The car really did drive great and was very comfortable!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Lol, I don't think it's worth the time even for a superfan if you aren't interested in the car, but here is the link. (It's just canned dialogue between him and German auto executives).

Lmao i just watched the first few minutes. What an “interesting” way of presenting a new car.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Right? Is this something the auto world always does, and I've just never been a car geek? The live chat comments were hilarious. It was like:
Price?
PRICE??
Price
PRICE???????????????
Price? YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!
(etc)

lol!! I wonder if it was adapted for COVID-era. Car and Driver estimates that the price for the AWD model will be about $50k, sportback variant $55k. https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/q4-e-tron

btw, to your point above, it looks like VW is doing the reservation system for the ID.4. wonder if audi will do that for the Q4... seems so much more efficient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly