• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

shadoj

Angel Diva
I'll have to try to make the next Zoom -- found out a little too late to work with my schedule this past week.

My garden thrives on benign neclect and good wishes and a laid-back attitude... native plants are pretty good at that. Stick them in the right conditions, water them in dry spells the first couple summers, then mostly ignore/enjoy. Native rose species are no exception (and can be a little too vigorous when happy)! I like to collect the hips for tea, too.

From last season (sorry about the poor quality):
IMG_20200613_133834.jpg
DSC03807.jpg

shadoj

Angel Diva
Pretty - does the shrub look nice when it's not blooming, too?
I personally think so, but I have a more relaxed view of what's pretty. Being a rose, it could definitely be pruned into a more formal shape. Leaves are a glossy, deep green; they green up very early in the spring & often turn brown well after first snow. Hips are bright red and persist through the winter, slowly turning black. Stems are a nice reddish-purple. Japanese beetles can be a problem, but damage is usually cosmetic (chewed leaves/flowers). I'm ok with the thorns; the fragrance is just so wonderful!

Scribble

Angel Diva
Here's a pic of my seedlings!
20210405_105537~2.jpg
While I made an initial attempt to whittle down to my favorites this year, that didn't happen because:

1) I got stressed out by work.
2) I couldn't ski at all for part of February because my knee was being goofy.
3) I had extra shop lights and an empty folding table in the garage.

I did what had to be done.

A lot of my seed packs are getting old, and I didn't expect much...but just about every seed popped up! I couldn't just snip the extras off, so I split them into their own little cells. I am now the awkwardly uncertain possessor of 250+ seedlings.

I potted them up last week. DH thinks I'm deranged, but he dutifully helps me carry them in and out when it's warm. I think we need a greenhouse.

Jenny

Angel Diva
View attachment 15527
While I made an initial attempt to whittle down to my favorites this year, that didn't happen because:

A lot of my seed packs are getting old, and I didn't expect much...but just about every seed popped up! I couldn't just snip the extras off, so I split them into their own little cells. I am now the awkwardly uncertain possessor of 250+ seedlings.

I potted them up last week. DH thinks I'm deranged, but he dutifully helps me carry them in and out when it's warm. I think we need a greenhouse.
Do you have the space for all of those or are you going to go into business furnishing plants for all of the neighbors?

Christy

Angel Diva
View attachment 15527

Holy cow! Look at all that.

Christy

Angel Diva
My daffodils and hellebores are still being the workhorses they are; tulips are late. Perennial herbs (chives, oregano, parsley, thyme, lemon thyme) either never died back or are up. I put shelling pea, lettuce and kale starts in, and planted radish, carrot, lettuce and spinach seeds in my little raised veggie bed. This time of year I always wish I had a bigger yard, but that's city livin' for you. I'm loving everyone's cherry trees though I don't have any.

IMG_20210407_144351.jpg

20210407_142257-01.jpeg

20210406_102006-02.jpeg
20210331_132815-01.jpeg

Jenny

Angel Diva
My daffodils and hellebores are still being the workhorses they are; tulips are late. Perennial herbs (chives, oregano, parsley, thyme, lemon thyme) either never died back or are up. I put shelling pea, lettuce and kale starts in, and planted radish, carrot, lettuce and spinach seeds in my little raised veggie bed. This time of year I always wish I had a bigger yard, but that's city livin' for you. I'm loving everyone's cherry trees though I don't have any.

View attachment 15529

View attachment 15530

View attachment 15531
View attachment 15532
Wow those trees look old!

Christy

Angel Diva
Wow those trees look old!

They do. Japan gifted Seattle thousands of cherry trees in the early 20th century and that started a craze that really never let up (the large gifts from Japan kept up too). The sad thing is that the old trees are at the end of their life span and so many have come down or will soon.

Jenny

Angel Diva
They do. Japan gifted Seattle thousands of cherry trees in the early 20th century and that started a craze that really never let up (the large gifts from Japan kept up too). The sad thing is that the old trees are at the end of their life span and so many have come down or will soon.
That'll be really too bad - they're absolutely beautiful.

kiki

Angel Diva
Amazing warm weather here, this weekend, it was 25 degrees Celsius and I decided to shake the end of ski season blues by spending time and money in the garden. Costco had their garden store so picked up some flats of annuals, as well as some hanging baskets. Garden is way more cheerful now!
E3B36DDF-0625-4A6E-B5AA-EFC8B655A03B.jpeg

Amie H

Angel Diva
I'm at my cabin in Central WI and even though I was working in my garden yesterday (weeding, mulching) can't put any plants/seeds in for a while (I do container gardening in this area.) I do have some perennial herbs going(oregano, mint, chive) but flowers, tomatoes, etc will have to wait. We had snow flurries this morning!
I'm also thinking about adding a small birdbath as there is a bird feeding station out of view of this pic, but nearby. When the oregano blooms we get a ton of butterflies. I was thinking they would also enjoy a shallow birdbath (stones in the bottom to prevent drowning, etc.) That black stick in the middle is a stand my husband made for attaching a small plastic hummingbird/butterfly feeder.

(The other project this year is getting the house repainted!)

20210418_191820.jpg

Attachments

• 20210418_191820.jpg
    20210418_191820.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 0

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m back in Vermont for a few days and checked out my old garden. All the garlic I planted is up and thriving. Many of my perennials are big enough to divide, and I was cooking with thyme and sage yesterday!

Sadly, I will soon be gardening at my daughter’s house and have no garden of my own. This is going to be hard because I’ll be working weekends at a garden center!

Christy

Angel Diva
I’m back in Vermont for a few days and checked out my old garden. All the garlic I planted is up and thriving. Many of my perennials are big enough to divide, and I was cooking with thyme and sage yesterday!

Sadly, I will soon be gardening at my daughter’s house and have no garden of my own. This is going to be hard because I’ll be working weekends at a garden center!

Oh, that sounds fun. There is a beautiful five acre nursery in Seattle that I am at least three other professional women I know daydream of working at. I've worked retail and know that it's not all unicorns and rainbows, but often I think how nice it would be just to water plants, talk about plants, etc in this beautiful oasis in the city.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly