• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for advanced skiers over 50 planning to ski until 80+

marzNC

Angel Diva
While it's great to be able to continue skiing the usual way while getting older, sometimes a little help is needed. Check out how much fun this 92yo woman had on a bi-ski at Wildcat. She used to ski at all over New England. Her son discovered how much fun an adaptive volunteer can have a while back. He works with an adaptive organization that's based at Attitash in NH that is active all over New England. Go to YouTube for more about him.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Literally brought tears to my eyes. I hope my kids are that thoughtful when I'm unable to ski.

Jilly

Staff member
A client of mine did this for his MIL. She wanted to go skiing. They have a program called "mountain for all" at Tremblant. I can still remember standing in line at the TGV when they loaded the sled on, and then dropped it! The next chair had my client on it, so he got off. When I got to the top I knew the instructor who was operating the sled and mentioned that that wasn't a nice thing to do to Mrs B! She thoroughly enjoyed her ride as she didn't know any better!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Discovered a wonderful film made back in 1975 about the Wild Old Bunch who ski Alta. The film starts at 25 min and lasts about 6 min. The hour long video is a compilation of a few films. Great powder skiing on straight skis by folks age 60 and up.

The Wild Old Bunch is an informal group that started out around 1970. Can find them midweek at Alf's at the round table around 11:00 all season long. Look for patches for 70+, 80+, and perhaps even 90+. I've talked to a few on chairlift rides several times. Always good stories.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Wonderful thread to read through! Lots of inspiring stories. I am turning 50 next year and only last season I decided to take some classes and improve upon ski skills. Had been a beginner for many years. I noticed that a few of my instructors are well pass 50, that gives me hope that I can keep this activities for at least 10 years. The thread has given me hope that 10 year is not only possible, 20 years is likely. :thumbsup:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wonderful thread to read through! Lots of inspiring stories. I am turning 50 next year and only last season I decided to take some classes and improve upon ski skills. Had been a beginner for many years. I noticed that a few of my instructors are well pass 50, that gives me hope that I can keep this activities for at least 10 years. The thread has given me hope that 10 year is not only possible, 20 years is likely. :thumbsup:

Seems that most of my level 3 instructors in the seasonal program I’m doing right now are around mid 60s, and they are all ridiculously phenomenal skiers!!

One in particular said she started the process of becoming an instructor around age 40 because she wanted to learn to ski as efficiently as possible to be able to do it for as long as possible.

I hope to look anywhere near as good skiing as any of them someday. :ski:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm in South Carolina so when my parents stopped going to Vermont for Christmas, I joined a local ski club here. When I was introduced, the club said: "Yes! Another racer~" A what, I said? You think I'm going to do what! I did various lessons and workshops and quickly progressed more than I had in the preceeding >30 years! Fortunately, NASTAR racing's available in North Carolina, so I could practice on their courses. If you're ever going to resorts out west, more of them have racing in Colorado and such. Epic resorts have their own racing program. Or, if all else fails, you can join a Crescent Ski Council Club like Spartanburg; Crescent has a fabulous race camp every December from the 1st -2nd Saturday that is the best value anywhere~I'd gone 11 years until covid, when it was cancelled, but only the last year or two did the week go over $1000 for 7 nights lodging, 6 days lift tickets, 5 full days of lessons with or without race training or you can choose 1/2, a welcome wine & cheese, 3 lunches with your class, a keg party we made dinner out of, an apres ski party, a bar-b-que at the top of the gondola with band, a formal dinner the last night at the Grand Hotel ballroom and smart wool socks. 200-400 people go each year and it's sooo much fun! The week just goes wayyy too fast!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I went back to read this thread from the beginning and now feel as if I'm entitled to weigh in. I turned 60 this year and I think one of the keys to continued successful advanced skiing at an advanced age is to keep up with an aerobic, a strength, and a flexibility program. For me, when I neglect any one of those, I feel it. I ski about 100 days per season, but it is my off-season regime that makes the most difference in my fitness. I'm sure we all know the adage: "you can't ski yourself into good shape."

I have definitely noticed that I charge a bit less hard these days. But, I am far more accurate and able to keep going if I make sure I am balanced and that my movements are progressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly