• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm about to throw my computer out of a window at this point (Thursdays are the day that MA releases more appointments each week, because having everyone trying to book at the same time doesn't create these problems at all..)

There is a supposedly improved system where you have a queue to book appointments. The fun part is that different sites are run by different websites, so multiple queues that all suck! The one time I got through to make an appointment for my dad this morning it popped me back out to the waiting room once I'd entered all of his information. Now it keeps having me in a waiting room, sometimes it says 1393 minutes of a wait, and will intermittently place me into a spot to pick an appointment, but even though it'll say there are appointments available, once you get in it says there aren't anymore. Seems they must be in people's 15 minute cart to book I guess? I don't know, it's just chasing my tail at this point it seems. So the site isn't "crashing" but no better than last week with all of these errors and glitches kicking you in and out. Apparently some people are getting through since appointments keep disappearing, but I'd love to know how because I can't get it to happen.

Anyway, I'm ready to pull my damn hair out. If it was for myself I'd have long given up, but my dad isn't internet savvy and 211 keeps hanging up when on hold to try and book through them, so I'm trying. There has to be a better way though, this is beyond ridiculous. I'd rather just be in some overall queue and be contacted when a vaccine is available, or go stand in line first come first served than fighting for spots on the internet every week like this, yikes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m assuming you’ve checked https://www.macovidvaccines.com/ the site that lady built while on maternity leave?

I had heard of it, but hadn't tried it. Do you know what it is supposed to do differently? When I go in now it just pops me into the other queues I'm already in for a site.. I can add it to my list of sites to try next week from the start though as perhaps it would have helped if I tried it earlier. I don't think anything is happening now today, though they say they are going to have some more rolling out intermittently today but nor sure which sites etc. Not sure how people can just stay on these sites all day though..

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki have you tried refreshing the screen when you an error or other such issue? Apparently some people have had luck by hitting refresh. I suppose it can't hurt at this this point.

Oh yes, lots of refreshing. Especially when I got popped out from the one time I actually got to try and make an appointment and had picked a specific slot.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@MissySki have you tried refreshing the screen when you an error or other such issue? Apparently some people have had luck by hitting refresh. I suppose it can't hurt at this this point.
And also try going into your browser and clearing out all the cookies related to that site, then rebooting your entire computer. Also try using a different browser (i.e., if you're using Chrome, try Firefox or Safari -- esp on a Mac, try using Safari, if you haven't).

This may sound odd, bit I've had it happen to me with many websites where you have to submit a lot of info; the browser cookies keep enough info that the site keeps thinking you're making multiple submissions, and kicks you out. I've had the most problems with Firefox and this issue. Finally, if all else fails, open your browser in "Incognito" or "Private" mode and try again -- that shouldn't keep any cookies.

Let us know if any of this works for you.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just learned about a site that connects patients who need the vaccine with healthcare providers that need to administer vaccines before they expire. As you know, once the vials are open they have to be used, and if someone doesn't show up, it's a bit of a problem. If you sign up, they'll send you a text if vaccine is available nearby.

Here's the site:
https://vaxstandby.hidrb.com

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just learned about a site that connects patients who need the vaccine with healthcare providers that need to administer vaccines before they expire. As you know, once the vials are open they have to be used, and if someone doesn't show up, it's a bit of a problem. If you sign up, they'll send you a text if vaccine is available nearby.

Here's the site:

That's a great idea, thanks!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Here's the site:

Hope the “nearby” radius is fairly generous - I live 10 miles from the nearest pharmacy!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hope the “nearby” radius is fairly generous - I live 10 miles from the nearest pharmacy!

Yeah, too bad they don't specify the radius, but it does say you have 2 hours to show up so it could go pretty far theoretically..

I was person 370,270 to sign up, hopefully a ton aren't close around me! lol

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had been thinking, "It's just too many people for too few vaccines," but I read someone complaining that there are computer programs capable of handling huge numbers of people trying to get concert tickets at the same time. Is this true, tech folks? Are the numbers similar? and why are government websites always so often such duds?
For what it's worth, the CDC is trying to help the development of software that would help people on a national basis located vaccine sites.

Feb. 24, NY Times
Helping People Find Covid-19 Vaccines Is Aim of C.D.C.-Backed Site
VaccineFinder.org is an ambitious but limited attempt to simplify Americans’ search for vaccines.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/business/vaccine-finder-org.html
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hoping to make it easier for Americans to find Covid-19 vaccines, is backing the test of a centralized online portal where the public can search for nearby vaccination locations with doses on hand.

The website, called VaccineFinder, is run by Boston Children’s Hospital with the help of several collaborators. It grew out of the H1N1 flu pandemic of 2009 and has been used for years to coordinate the distribution of flu and childhood vaccines. It expanded on Wednesday to include the availability of coronavirus vaccines at more than 20,000 locations, concentrated in several states.

If the program goes well, the website’s developers plan to expand it nationwide in coming weeks to include nearly all vaccine providers that agree to be featured. That would make the website far more comprehensive than anything that exists now.

“We’re trying to create a trusted site and bring some order to all this chaos and confusion around availability,” said John Brownstein, a Boston Children’s Hospital researcher who runs VaccineFinder.org.

The project is not a panacea. It will not enable people to book appointments; it simply directs people to other portals where they can try to register to get vaccinated.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
After hearing that NC is going to have one of the FEMA mass vaccination sites, I discovered that FEMA is now fully engaged in supporting the process of getting as many people vaccinated as soon as practical. The NC site is one of 18. Plan is to provide for up to 3000 shots per day, 7 days a week, for up to 8 weeks. That's in addition to what NC already have in place or will soon.

https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/vaccine-support

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
YEAH!!! I’ve been developing major vaccine envy and travel lust over the last few weeks... but today a bit of relief appeared: I realized that my fully vaccinated friends can come from out of state! Woo! We are going to go skinning, sit in my hot tub and drink beer from my beer fridge.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From a skiing standpoint and in general, paying attention to North Carolina (my home state) provides a look at many sides of this pandemic season. It's actually been a very good ski season because the unusually cold weather meant lots of snowmaking opportunities even as other parts of the south suffered with ice storms. All the NC ski areas were at the max of their limited capacity on weekends in Jan and Feb. From a business standpoint, my impression is that it's been a good season and there may be more demand in March than usual. NC has done more in terms of mandates compared to the rest of the southeast, and less compared to New England. It's been a balancing act for NC public health officials given that NC is very much a southern state with a long history that goes back 300+ years.

Now that spring is clearly around the corner and vaccinations are ramping up, it will be interesting to see how quickly everyone who wants to get vaccinated will be able to get a shot. The general sense from polling data across the U.S. is that there is about 50% of the population who aren't interested in getting vaccinated for COVID-19 for assorted reasons. For 2019-20 the CDC estimates that only 48% of adults 18 and over got a flu shot, while just over 60% of children got a flu shot. That was actually a small increase over the previous flu season.

Per usual, there are regional, state, and local differences when it comes to the vaccination roll out (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) and attitudes towards vaccination in general. I'll post some examples in the COVID-19 thread in Divas Only.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I have a terrible feeling of schadenfreude. Maine has gone to an age-based system. My DD, who is teaching in person, no longer is eligible for a vaccine but I am. We are now open to 60+. I got onto my PCPs wait list as soon as the news was announced and got a text about an available appointment 3 days later. I'm set for #1 on Friday at 6:50 pm, which is not ideal as I work Fridays at the mountain. So, I'll need to drive 1 1/2 hours down and another back to work again Saturday. Only other option I was given was Saturday. They scheduled my 2nd dose at the same time and I'm glad it's when I'm done with work as I am prepared to feel lousy.

I can't believe how amazingly smooth the sign up has been. I also am impressed by my state's swab and send sites. I've been doing PCR testing every other week and I can always get an appointment when I want one. I'm going to miss my friends at the testing site. They know me by now and always are so nice.

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow! Good for Maine!

I heard on the news tonight that Massachusetts opened up 50,000 new appointments and they were gone in 90 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna