• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowshoe apparel

newboots

Angel Diva
@Tvan - were you hot in your [beautiful] ski pants? Or was it exceptionally cold?

(Wait - we live somewhat near each other! It has been exceptionally cold!).

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Tvan - were you hot in your [beautiful] ski pants? Or was it exceptionally cold?

(Wait - we live somewhat near each other! It has been exceptionally cold!).
@newboots - I was definitely overdressed. We had made a last minute decision to go out, and I didn't think through my layers very well. I had on my snowpants over regular leggings, and I had on a normal turtleneck under my LLBean down jacket and a wool hat. I was dripping wet in about 30 minutes. Rookie move.

I should have put on my winter running pants, my underarmour winter fleece top, and a much lighter jacket. It would have been chilly for the first 5 minutes, and then I would have been perfectly comfortable.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I LOVE Lake Michigan.
I do want to go to Lutsen next winter so that I can look at Superior while skiing.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoeing - do you wear hiking boots? I guess the footwear would need to be waterproof? Would a heavy wool base layer under lightweight rain shell type pants work for bottom half?

@Jenny those were lovely photos. It made me think we should have a thread dedicated to photos of the the beautiful, wild places we love to be in.

newboots

Angel Diva
Snowshoeing - do you wear hiking boots? I guess the footwear would need to be waterproof? Would a heavy wool base layer under lightweight rain shell type pants work for bottom half?

I wear hiking boots. Waterproof is good! The warmth of your layers depends on the weather. If you hike in the winter, use the same principles. Your combo would certainly work; wool is warming/cooling in many situations, and if the pants could breathe, that would be perfect!

I'm going on a short hike-or-snowshoe (have to get a look at the trail) in near-30 F. temps (28 right now). Wearing silk, super-lightweight bottoms and all-season hiking pants (lightweight). I'll be cold in the car, happy 10 minutes into the hike. Similar setup on top with a light jacket I could tie around my waist.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@Jenny those were lovely photos. It made me think we should have a thread dedicated to photos of the the beautiful, wild places we love to be in.
I use over the ankle heavy-duty hiking boots that are water-proof. They offer lateral support at the ankle when the snowshoes hit an unexpected uneven spot in the snow. And even though the snowshoes provide float, snow is going to get all over them.
5CA2082E-21F3-45D1-A6C6-4067BD0A7300_1_201_a.jpeg004C5BA9-31F9-42B3-B9E3-1DCFA81D2AE0.jpeg7386838C-D48B-4F2A-A8C1-EDAC6AD81FA2_1_201_a.jpeg5DCFAAA2-F8A2-47C0-A10B-AF14AABDDE27.jpeg
I wear water-proof ski pants (shells) with whatever liners under them that I think are warranted. It takes about 10 minutes for my body to heat up. Zippers along the sides of the ski pants help to let that steam off if I predict wrong and wear too much under them. Or I just keep going and ignore my hot legs.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm planning on snowshoeing in the snow tomorrow. Well, I will if it snows instead of raining. This will be a first, snowshoeing in the snow.

I love to ski when it's snowing. My helmet keeps my head dry. But tomorrow I will not be wearing a helmet. What do people wear to keep their heads dry when snowshoeing?

So far I've not needed goggles. Do people ever wear goggles snowshoeing? It's very slow travel so the wind chill is not an issue. And so far it hasn't been single digits out there where I go so the issue of freezing eyelashes hasn't come up. I'm wondering if I'll want goggles to keep the snow out of my eyes tomorrow if it's snowing. Any thoughts or experience?

Last edited:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm snowshoeing when it's snowing I just wear sunglasses with rose colored lenses. I have a pair of Smith sunglasses with interchangeable lenses that work well for XC and snowshoeing as I can choose between the rose for flat light/snow or the basic gray lens for sun.

Jacket with a hood works well for keeping head dry in the snow, though normally I just wear a hat.

newboots

Angel Diva
I would like a warm hat with a brim! I don't have one. It would keep at least some of the snow off my glasses. Otherwise, a warm hat and one of those things from the pocket of my ski jacket that you stick on your thumb and use to wipe off the goggles when you're skiing. What the heck is that called? I would use it on my glasses, though.

I can't imagine a need for goggles where I snowshoe, but if I were high on a mountain, maybe.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wore a super thin base layer and then my down (or synthetic, forgot to check) over that. They’re basically the weight of a down skirt, except more practical for me.

On top I wore thin long sleeved base layer, my regular polar fleece mid layer, a thin down vest, a windproof jacket, and my lightly insulated ski coat. I knew I'd be warm, but I couldn’t figure out which layer to leave off so I just planned to strip down appropriately once we got going. For the record, I think it would be the windproof layer - although what I actually took off was my thin vest, because that would fit in the backpack best. Then I just unzipped everything else. Remember, we didn’t have to break trail at all, or climb much, although we did take detours to do both.

Wool socks, waterproof hiking boots, ski mitts, and a beanie type hat. It wasn’t snowing or blowing, and, as you can see, no chance the sun was coming out!

Oh, and temps were in the teens - 19, I think?

And we did take off the masks right after the picture. Just had kind of forgotten they were on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly