• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
For sci-fi/thriller fans, I’ve been totally sucked into Dark. There are some sequencing parts that make things confusing, but I love the inter-family dynamics and mystery. It is, indeed, as advertised: totally dark.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, Bridgerton is fluff - but such fun fluff! A new take on history – and some very strong women. And re costumes, I think I read no one wore the same dress twice. Thinking about it, I'm not so sure I would class it as "silly."

It’s also commentary on gender roles and social norms that, while startling, have some similarities to our own gender roles today. At 67, I have certainly had to struggle to communicate more directly, to design my life such that it’s not revolving around a man’s preferences or wishes, and to be more bold with my beliefs and decisions.

I’m thrilled to see my daughter and her friends struggling less with all of this, and I know it continues to improve. Of course, we still have a long way to go.

Watching the women in Bridgerton use their “powerless power,” make their wishes known indirectly, and use their ostensible helplessness to influence the men in their lives continues to teach us about ourselves, where we came from, and where we are going.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone mentioned Turn: Washington's Spies? It's a historical drama based on a real life scenario, the Culper spy ring. I watched it last year and really enjoyed it.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Has anyone mentioned Turn: Washington's Spies? It's a historical drama based on a real life scenario, the Culper spy ring. I watched it last year and really enjoyed it.
I agree -- this was a fascinating story about something I had never learned about! It also put into perspective certain historical figures such as Benedict Arnold.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oooh - I loved the documentary Lenox Hill on Netflix! The first episode left me cold, but I returned to it months later, and once I finished, I loved all the people I "met." The last episode was at the beginning of the pandemic, and I would guess the filmmakers just had to get out of the way or stop using precious N-95s. But what an amazing series! What incredible, compassionate doctors!

Christy

Angel Diva
Oooh - I loved the documentary Lenox Hill on Netflix! The first episode left me cold, but I returned to it months later, and once I finished, I loved all the people I "met." The last episode was at the beginning of the pandemic, and I would guess the filmmakers just had to get out of the way or stop using precious N-95s. But what an amazing series! What incredible, compassionate doctors!

Interesting you say that--the first episode held my attention but I was only really interested in the female doctors--those 2 male surgeons left me cold, and I wasn't planning on continuing. But it sounds like I should!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Watching the women in Bridgerton use their “powerless power,” make their wishes known indirectly, and use their ostensible helplessness to influence the men in their lives continues to teach us about ourselves, where we came from, and where we are going.
Oooh, I like your thoughtful take on an otherwise light series - I can totally see that. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bridgerton with my 20 year old daughter - we decided it was very much like a Downton Abbey / Gossip Girl mind meld!

newboots

Angel Diva
@Christy - yes, you should watch more of Lenox Hill. The brain surgeons are, in fact, white men. But the head guy should be required study for anyone in management. He is very clearly focused on the big picture and talks in management-speak, but he intentionally builds a very collaborative, strong team and emphasizes their support for each other at every turn.

And of course the women are wonderful! And the nurses - whoo! they give Amanda a hard time for leaving at the end of her residency, and it's so warm and sweet!

newboots

Angel Diva
Oooh, I like your thoughtful take on an otherwise light series - I can totally see that. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bridgerton with my 20 year old daughter - we decided it was very much like a Downton Abbey / Gossip Girl mind meld!

Thank you! I am not usually one to think about themes in movies and shows - to me, they are mostly entertainment. But this issue resonates with my life, and the changes in women's roles just in my lifetime, so the series really had me thinking.

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
I binged Lenox Hill right when it dropped and I was in the initial phase of pandemic stupor. I'm plugging away at Bridgerton but mostly at this point just need to lighten things up so have been big on comedies. Community on Netflix is sweet but the real belly-laughs have come from Ted Lasso which is on Apple TV. If you've purchased an Apple product in the past year (iPad, iPhone, Mac...) you likely got a 1-2 year free subscription to the streaming service. If you don't have one, fine a friend whose account you can log in; Ted is worth it.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished the first half of Big Sky on ABC/Hulu. Got caught up just in time for the mid-season finale; it will be coming back on in mid-April. It's not good (as in, high quality), but if you like a crime drama, it did have my heart pumping and had me screaming at the TV more than once, and I am looking forward to the next half of the season when it comes back.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've been watching "Call My Agent" on Netflix and are really enjoying it. It's a French TV series about a talent agency in Paris and the personal and professional challenges of the agents who work there. There are four seasons. Just be advised: there are subtitles.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I've been watching Electric Dreams (Amazon Prime) which is standalone sci-fi episodes. Great changing cast and some of the stories are excellent.

And LOL at the episode about the huge corporation with an automated factory destroying the world.... produced by Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly