• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Contacts vs Glasses

newboots

Angel Diva
my husband complained. Ha has the Abom goggles and basically felt they were useless. Sad bc that was another of his Christmas gifts. I am not sure if fogging was due to masks or inserts or both.

In the Abom thread, someone mentioned that some Amazon sales might have been counterfeit. If his aren't working well, they should be returned, regardless of where you bought them. Shouldn't spend all that money for no improvement!

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
In the Abom thread, someone mentioned that some Amazon sales might have been counterfeit. If his aren't working well, they should be returned, regardless of where you bought them. Shouldn't spend all that money for no improvement!

I got them from Abom and I am going to contact them.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Getting Ready I think Abom prefers you order your inserts from them for a true custom fit. Then, you take them to your optometrist. Definitely a call to Abom would clarify things. https://abom.com/pages/faqs-abom

But... since I didn’t do that, I found out that my Aboms sensed there was a foreign object (my insets) and the sensor went wonky. I couldn’t get it to stay on or get a blast. In order for me to use the inserts and the heater successfully, I have to turn the Aboms on before I put on my helmet. Its so strange, but that’s my workaround. Back to inserts, I just think overall we’re just in this fog fight thanks to masks and layers. I didn’t fight this much until the plague.

Attachments

• 5EBFA5B0-8FDD-4081-A76D-C4FFD49C59F2.jpeg
    5EBFA5B0-8FDD-4081-A76D-C4FFD49C59F2.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 7

Christy

Angel Diva
The Abom goggles stay fog free by heating the layer between the two built-in lenses, so it makes sense that when introducing a third new lens or wearing glasses, it wouldn't work.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also wear daily disposables, but due to my eyes getting quite dry and my blindness sans corrective lenses, I usually have my glasses (current script) in the car and a spare pair (older script) in the ski pack in case of emergency.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I wear daily disposable contact lenses just for skiing and the rare social event, otherwise progressive glasses. I found that the multifocal contacts (and I tried many, many . . . I'm an eye doctor!) degraded the distance vision, did not improve the near vision adequately, and weren't as comfortable. An option that I like, but not everyone can tolerate, is to do "mini-monovision." Typically the non-dominant eye is given extra plus power for near. Not every brain can tolerate this, and you may lose a little depth perception, but I found that I did not lose as much as with the degraded general quality of vision of multifocal contacts. I need +1.75 in each eye for distance, but I put +2.25 in my non-dominant left eye. That's +0.75 of monovision. That allows me to read my phone or trail map and does not degrade my depth perception for reading the terrain. Full mono-vision would be +2 or +3.00, and that would compromise depth perception. We offer this mini-monovision when we do cataract surgery. Your eye doc will know what you're talking about if you explain your needs. You could even ask for trial lenses in a few steps to determine what amount of monovision is tolerable.
I did not know about these inserts, so now I have something to recommend to my skiing patients!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear contacts pretty much exclusively for skiing and carry a cheap pair of readers in a little fabric pouch for reading phone and maps.

I never had any luck at all with glasses under goggles; Fog City every time. I have heard that Smith (I think) makes goggles that have a built-in fan, and that people have had good experiences avoiding fogging with those.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^
Disposable contacts / prescription based for sports, not reading. Would rather have stellar vision for surfing/ skiing than reading. Cheap readers fit in my sunglass case for touring.

Finding that working from home, I sometimes don't put in my contacts right away, then don't need the readers for computer / reading ;)

@DebbieSue thanks for the mono vision explanation regarding depth perception. Not my cup of tea when I tried it.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ordered my custom inserts from SportRX. I went all out with the multifocal and anti-fog coating. It's a late Christmas present from hubby. I hope they get here before our trip next weekend.

newboots

Angel Diva
I ordered my custom inserts from SportRX. I went all out with the multifocal and anti-fog coating. It's a late Christmas present from hubby. I hope they get here before our trip next weekend.

Let us know how well they work!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I wear daily disposable contact lenses just for skiing and the rare social event, otherwise progressive glasses. I found that the multifocal contacts (and I tried many, many . . . I'm an eye doctor!) degraded the distance vision, did not improve the near vision adequately, and weren't as comfortable. An option that I like, but not everyone can tolerate, is to do "mini-monovision." Typically the non-dominant eye is given extra plus power for near. Not every brain can tolerate this, and you may lose a little depth perception, but I found that I did not lose as much as with the degraded general quality of vision of multifocal contacts. I need +1.75 in each eye for distance, but I put +2.25 in my non-dominant left eye. That's +0.75 of monovision. That allows me to read my phone or trail map and does not degrade my depth perception for reading the terrain. Full mono-vision would be +2 or +3.00, and that would compromise depth perception.

I’m so happy to read this. I’m “of an age”... and so this year, my eye doc suggested trying the daily multi focal (lo) ... so I tried them. They seemed ok, until I was driving at night in a minivan full of people (ahhhh, pre COVID times...) when DH, SIL and her partner were all yelling directions at me and I couldn’t see road signs... um, yikes!

I suggested trying the multi in my non-dominant eye and the single prescription in my dominant, and they acted like I was crazy. But it’s been almost a year and it works GREAT. We’ll see what they say at my appt next week. In fact, just for giggles, I covered my non dominant eye right now to read this screen and it was definitely hard to read. But with both eyes open it’s easy!

So, for the people who are having a hard time looking at phones while doing contact-friendly activities, give it a shot, it wasn’t the first thing they offered to me, I had to ask. my right eye is SUPER dominant normally, so it did make it easier, to the point above... my brain was already not really incorporating left eye info, so it didn’t have to change much... (?)

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I’m so happy to read this. I’m “of an age”... and so this year, my eye doc suggested trying the daily multi focal (lo) ... so I tried them. They seemed ok, until I was driving at night in a minivan full of people (ahhhh, pre COVID times...) when DH, SIL and her partner were all yelling directions at me and I couldn’t see road signs... um, yikes!

I suggested trying the multi in my non-dominant eye and the single prescription in my dominant, and they acted like I was crazy. But it’s been almost a year and it works GREAT. We’ll see what they say at my appt next week. In fact, just for giggles, I covered my non dominant eye right now to read this screen and it was definitely hard to read. But with both eyes open it’s easy!

So, for the people who are having a hard time looking at phones while doing contact-friendly activities, give it a shot, it wasn’t the first thing they offered to me, I had to ask. my right eye is SUPER dominant normally, so it did make it easier, to the point above... my brain was already not really incorporating left eye info, so it didn’t have to change much... (?)

Good for you for figuring out for yourself!! It is an "old school" approach, but really it can be much better than multi-focals in both eyes, as you have discovered. SkiDivas, it seems to me as a Diva-in training, are very analytical as far as sorting out their equipment needs, and this falls into that category!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Good for you for figuring out for yourself!! It is an "old school" approach, but really it can be much better than multi-focals in both eyes, as you have discovered. SkiDivas, it seems to me as a Diva-in training, are very analytical as far as sorting out their equipment needs, and this falls into that category!
I think this post moved me up from Diva-in-training to Certified Ski Diva!
Yay!!!
Now I have to figure out how to incorporate those little emoji that do dances, crack up, etc etc

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think this post moved me up from Diva-in-training to Certified Ski Diva!
Yay!!!
Now I have to figure out how to incorporate those little emoji that do dances, crack up, etc etc
Check out the Divas Only sections that should be visible soon, if not already. Includes the Meet On The Hill threads if you want to meet a few northeast Divas in person for some runs together.

Look for the SmileyFace icon in the editor's menu bar to pick out emojis. :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I tried monovision a few years ago. I just never felt right with it. But I have friends who love it! So it’s worth trying for anyone. Worst that happens is you don’t like it.

newboots

Angel Diva

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly