• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What ski pairs well with the S/Lab Shift binding?

lucy

Angel Diva
Last spring I was caught flat-footed when the ski season ended early. I'm working on a set of skis that will take me uphill, inbounds and then let me ski back down. I was wondering what ski you're using with the S/Lab Shift type binding or which ski you'd recommend. I am a cardio weakling, so I expect uphill will be harder. I thought about going with the lighter Marker type pin binding, but thinking about going downhill with that delicate, little toe-piece was less comforting. Also, DH is running the S/Lab Shift and I want to be able to go with him when he takes a detour. Partly because I like the adventure but also because I think two is safer than one.

So my dilemma looks like this... I have a set of S/Lab Shift bindings that were priced right. I need to buy the right-sized brakes for a pair of skis that I don't own because brakes are selling out fast. I am looking for a 50/50 ski that lets me skin up Alta and ski back down. Otherwise, I'm going to be watching people skin up Alta... again. Ugh! (The more I read and research, the more lost I feel. I don't remember this same kind of anxiety buying my first pair of Alpine skis, boots, and bindings.)

What ski are you running? How wide is it? What's on your wish list for a backcountry ski?

Thanks for the help!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have mine on the Blizzard Sheeva 9 which is 92 underfoot and ski in the East. Literally just tried them out for the first time Monday and they are a great binding!! I didn’t get to skin up with them yet, but spent half a day skiing lift served with them and loved it. They felt super secure and no different from a regular binding for skiing. Such an improvement over my frame binding in that regard, and I assume it’ll be the same case with skinning. Hoping to give that a try soon as well.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got Shifts on Rossignol Star 7s - 112 underfoot. Previously had them on a pair of Rustler 10s, but found I really liked them more on groomers and firmer conditions, whereas the Rossi's are better in deeper snow as well as handling firmer conditions adequately. My wish list for a backcountry ski is one that I feel safe and confident on, where I know I can enjoy good conditions and also fall back to survival skiing easily if I have to.

My husband has Armada ARV 116 (JJs) for his touring setup - so 116 underfoot. I've seen quite a few people on the Atomic Bent Chetler 120 or Salomon QST 118 with Shifts, so fat skis are definitely an option if that's what you're after.

lucy

Angel Diva
I didn’t get to skin up with them yet, but spent half a day skiing lift served with them and loved it. They felt super secure and no different from a regular binding for skiing.
@MissySki, Huge yay for a feeling secure while skiing! I don't feel like I'm limited by how much stress the binding can handle, so that opens the field for standard skis. I need to try the Blizzard Sheeva ASAP. Thanks!

I've seen quite a few people on the Atomic Bent Chetler 120 or Salomon QST 118 with Shifts, so fat skis are definitely an option if that's what you're after.
@MrsPlow, For my weight and height (5'3", 125 lbs), the fattest ski in my quiver is... 95 mm. And that's my powder ski! lol. I'll check out the Salomon QST and the Atomic. I have an old pair of Rossi Savory, I think that's an older version of the Star 7(?). Wonder if I should just mount the S/Labs on the Rossi's and see what happens.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MrsPlow, For my weight and height (5'3", 125 lbs), the fattest ski in my quiver is... 95 mm. And that's my powder ski! lol. I'll check out the Salomon QST and the Atomic. I have an old pair of Rossi Savory, I think that's an older version of the Star 7(?). Wonder if I should just mount the S/Labs on the Rossi's and see what happens.

Ah, in that case, assuming you like the 95mm skis for powder, you might want to ignore me and stick with something a bit thinner. Basically what I was trying to say was that my impression of the Shift is that it's designed to accommodate most skis, so if you want to go for a fat ski you can but you don't have to.

lucy

Angel Diva
Ah, in that case, assuming you like the 95mm skis for powder, you might want to ignore me and stick with something a bit thinner. Basically what I was trying to say was that my impression of the Shift is that it's designed to accommodate most skis, so if you want to go for a fat ski you can but you don't have to.
No, no... that's exactly the kind of information that I need to make a decision. Really, thank you! I guess I just need to embrace the newness of backcountry as a totally new sport that is related to Alpine skiing but not nearly as close as I thought it might be. I need to be take courage and start trying gear so I can find out what works. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly