• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing, fear + mental blocks, and frustration

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let me ask you this. Are you sure your equipment isn't wrong and you don't have a valid reason for being afraid? I was skiing pretty well and I got new boots and became very fearful. Exact same cat track issue as you. I was so fearful (plus felt out of control and burned out my thighs quickly) that I almost quit skiing. I had gone back to the shop that sold me the boots a couple times and he basically said the mountain was hard and I wasn't a good enough skier. But this forum helped me realize that my boots were set up wrong, with way too much forward lean. After I fixed that I was skiing extremely better instantly, and extremely less fearful. Then I demo'd some new skis as mine were over 10 years old, and was able to do much steeper even icier blacks without fear.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello from a newbie :smile: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and seeing your progression and commitment, you're looking good girl !! Two things that made a huge difference to my skiing are 1) Joining a womens clinic, we started one at Porters a few years ago and met every week (regardless of the weather) and we'd start the day just having a few casual runs then a lesson followed up by us all rat packing around, its amazing how a little bit of healthy competition can push you and support you !! 2) If anxiety gets the better of you, and it does, I say outloud " just do it ", its got something to do with your left and right brain and as crazy as it sounds it does work. I'd love to have a ski with you next season, sadly this one is out for me due to injury but I will be raring to go next year <3

That's awesome!! I only skied Porters a handful of times this season, I kinda got used to having more blue terrain at Hutt but I think it would be different with more snowfall, every time i was at Porters I had people telling me that it's normally better! The womens clinics sound great, hopefully they do some next year, I think Hutt had some womens clinics last year but I was too intimidated to try them as their level of skiing required was to be able to ski upper fascination - which at the time I couldn't do without stopping a few times on the way down :P

Absolutely, hope your injury isn't too bad, it would be lovely to ski with you next season!! And thank you so much for the kind words and advice :smile:

Reactions: AJM

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let me ask you this. Are you sure your equipment isn't wrong and you don't have a valid reason for being afraid? I was skiing pretty well and I got new boots and became very fearful. Exact same cat track issue as you. I was so fearful (plus felt out of control and burned out my thighs quickly) that I almost quit skiing. I had gone back to the shop that sold me the boots a couple times and he basically said the mountain was hard and I wasn't a good enough skier. But this forum helped me realize that my boots were set up wrong, with way too much forward lean. After I fixed that I was skiing extremely better instantly, and extremely less fearful. Then I demo'd some new skis as mine were over 10 years old, and was able to do much steeper even icier blacks without fear.

My boots are treating me pretty well luckily, though if I was still in my old boots that would be a VERY valid reason. When I went to a legit bootfitter to replace my old boots, he actually laughed once he measured my feet, because the old ones were so clearly way too big for me!

I have had my boots looked at by a high level instructor as well recently, though that was more because of my ski technique. We ended up cranking the top buckle to its maximum setting because I was managing to get too much ankle flex at the ends of my turns, and part of that was making sure I didn't have too much shin movement before I actually hit the boot. My boots have adjustable forward lean (13, 15, 17) and i have them set to the most upright setting (13). I experimented with foam shims a little as well.

These are really good points though. I'm sorry you had a negative shop experience initially! I did as well :( I also had the same experience demoing new skis while owning 10 year old skis... I no longer own those old skis, I enjoyed every new ski so much more :smile:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your work definitely is paying off. Isn't skiing wonderful? It's so beautiful out there, and we are working with our bodies and that gear on our feet to do the unthinkable, and to do it with grace and fluidity. Such a great enterprise this is.

It's a constant challenge that is sometimes very frustrating but I love it anyway :smile: it's so rewarding when it all comes together!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's awesome!! I only skied Porters a handful of times this season, I kinda got used to having more blue terrain at Hutt but I think it would be different with more snowfall, every time i was at Porters I had people telling me that it's normally better! The womens clinics sound great, hopefully they do some next year, I think Hutt had some womens clinics last year but I was too intimidated to try them as their level of skiing required was to be able to ski upper fascination - which at the time I couldn't do without stopping a few times on the way down :P

Absolutely, hope your injury isn't too bad, it would be lovely to ski with you next season!! And thank you so much for the kind words and advice :smile:
Porters is a different skiing experience to Hutt thats for sure, and when its on it just means more blacks are open !!! Just sayin but I think you underestimate your abilities, we must try and catch up next season :smile: x

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots are treating me pretty well luckily, though if I was still in my old boots that would be a VERY valid reason. When I went to a legit bootfitter to replace my old boots, he actually laughed once he measured my feet, because the old ones were so clearly way too big for me!

I have had my boots looked at by a high level instructor as well recently, though that was more because of my ski technique. We ended up cranking the top buckle to its maximum setting because I was managing to get too much ankle flex at the ends of my turns, and part of that was making sure I didn't have too much shin movement before I actually hit the boot. My boots have adjustable forward lean (13, 15, 17) and i have them set to the most upright setting (13). I experimented with foam shims a little as well.

These are really good points though. I'm sorry you had a negative shop experience initially! I did as well :( I also had the same experience demoing new skis while owning 10 year old skis... I no longer own those old skis, I enjoyed every new ski so much more :smile:
Let me guess ...you went to Gnomes ??? Best bootfitters in Canty if not NZ !! Too big boots will do it everytime, I have major boot issues ....just ask Ally and Leith at Gnomes :laughter:I tried the shims but didnt like them as I felt they muffled the connection I had with my boots but thats just me, I have heard great things about them :smile:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Porters is a different skiing experience to Hutt thats for sure, and when its on it just means more blacks are open !!! Just sayin but I think you underestimate your abilities, we must try and catch up next season :smile: x

I've been practicing my off piste skiing on mid towers at Hutt when it's open and the conditions aren't too bad, in preparation for being able to handle more fun off piste blacks at places like Porters ;) I don't think it was ever open this year, but I had a number of people tell me that Big Mama is their favourite run when it's on!

Really appreciate the kind words as well, looking forward to getting some runs in together next season! x

Let me guess ...you went to Gnomes ??? Best bootfitters in Canty if not NZ !! Too big boots will do it everytime, I have major boot issues ....just ask Ally and Leith at Gnomes :laughter:I tried the shims but didnt like them as I felt they muffled the connection I had with my boots but thats just me, I have heard great things about them :smile:

YES!! Gnomes is fantastic! Oh no, Ally knows me and my feet much too well, I also had major issues last season! He fitted me for my boots and then spent tons of time last season working through the subsequent issues I had (difficult feet.....!). We finally got 'em dialed though and I've only been back once this season. Leith also made me some custom footbeds for my ice skates. They're a talented team :smile:

I'm not quite sold on the shims but I am considering upgrading to the booster straps at some point, I've spoken to a number of people who have them and rate them highly for keeping that shin connection :smile:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I never bothered going back to that scary chute, I might tackle it another season or never, I talked to someone who has worked at Mt Hutt for years and they commented that the entrance to that run is less intimidating when the snow base is higher. This year hasn't been so great for that, so honestly probably not a great year for it anyway.

However I did take a run down that horrifying cat track! It was on a nice day where I was feeling good about my skiing again and I'd seen a number of people go down this black groomed run (the only groomed black run this season) called Platter Splatter. It is a run that goes down from the scary cat track. I decided I wanted to give it a go, and I just threw all my dignity in the bin and went down the entire cat track in a massive wedge. :smile:

received_643688319628507.jpeg

Just beyond the end of this photo, there's a nice lookout point where you can take your skis off and walk around a bit and admire the views.

received_773278156578838.jpeg

received_705860906674537.jpeg

I also walked over and admired this interesting wind-blown snow :smile:

The run:

received_383605442639106.jpeg

From the bottom (made it!) :smile: It took me a while to get down the first bit, as it was quite scraped/icy and I took it a turn at a time, but the bottom half was quite a bit smoother!

received_377741380068394.jpeg

So that was a nice personal victory that I'm really proud of :smile:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
So I never bothered going back to that scary chute, I might tackle it another season or never, I talked to someone who has worked at Mt Hutt for years and they commented that the entrance to that run is less intimidating when the snow base is higher. This year hasn't been so great for that, so honestly probably not a great year for it anyway.

However I did take a run down that horrifying cat track! It was on a nice day where I was feeling good about my skiing again and I'd seen a number of people go down this black groomed run (the only groomed black run this season) called Platter Splatter. It is a run that goes down from the scary cat track. I decided I wanted to give it a go, and I just threw all my dignity in the bin and went down the entire cat track in a massive wedge. :smile:

View attachment 13751

Just beyond the end of this photo, there's a nice lookout point where you can take your skis off and walk around a bit and admire the views.

View attachment 13753

View attachment 13752

I also walked over and admired this interesting wind-blown snow :smile:

The run:

View attachment 13754

From the bottom (made it!) :smile: It took me a while to get down the first bit, as it was quite scraped/icy and I took it a turn at a time, but the bottom half was quite a bit smoother!

View attachment 13755

So that was a nice personal victory that I'm really proud of :smile:

HUGE congratulations on your victory! I hope you were able to celebrate your win properly!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been practicing my off piste skiing on mid towers at Hutt when it's open and the conditions aren't too bad, in preparation for being able to handle more fun off piste blacks at places like Porters ;) I don't think it was ever open this year, but I had a number of people tell me that Big Mama is their favourite run when it's on!

Really appreciate the kind words as well, looking forward to getting some runs in together next season! x

YES!! Gnomes is fantastic! Oh no, Ally knows me and my feet much too well, I also had major issues last season! He fitted me for my boots and then spent tons of time last season working through the subsequent issues I had (difficult feet.....!). We finally got 'em dialed though and I've only been back once this season. Leith also made me some custom footbeds for my ice skates. They're a talented team :smile:

I'm not quite sold on the shims but I am considering upgrading to the booster straps at some point, I've spoken to a number of people who have them and rate them highly for keeping that shin connection :smile:
Booster straps are a game changer !!!! :smile:

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
i am on the opposite side. I am pretty fearful about everything in life but not when it comes to skiing. It definitely got me in some dangerous situations but it made me a lot better skier. The only time i was scared is when I didn’t trust my equipment. So maybe something you should look into. On the other side my sister is very fearful and it made her give up a lot of things so you should be proud of yourself for facing your fears and working on it. Maybe try to do some easy things in park.. it will definitely help build some confidence... there was a couple of times i had to jump over fallen skier on the cat track... especially around Christmas time when it is super crowded... i am not advising you to jump over anyone hahha just saying... it also helps if you find yourself on the cliff or tight spaces.. again i am probably not the best person to give advice but it did help me.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
i am on the opposite side. I am pretty fearful about everything in life but not when it comes to skiing. It definitely got me in some dangerous situations but it made me a lot better skier. The only time i was scared is when I didn’t trust my equipment. So maybe something you should look into. On the other side my sister is very fearful and it made her give up a lot of things so you should be proud of yourself for facing your fears and working on it. Maybe try to do some easy things in park.. it will definitely help build some confidence... there was a couple of times i had to jump over fallen skier on the cat track... especially around Christmas time when it is super crowded... i am not advising you to jump over anyone hahha just saying... it also helps if you find yourself on the cliff or tight spaces.. again i am probably not the best person to give advice but it did help me.
This reminds me of something my then-15 year old daughter said to me once: "We're all scared, mom. We just do it anyway". Sage life advice from a teenager.

But I agree wholeheartedly that getting yourself out of tough situations makes you a better skier. My problem is the length of time it takes me to gather the confidence to keep moving!

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This reminds me of something my then-15 year old daughter said to me once: "We're all scared, mom. We just do it anyway". Sage life advice from a teenager.

But I agree wholeheartedly that getting yourself out of tough situations makes you a better skier. My problem is the length of time it takes me to gather the confidence to keep moving!

I love this!! That's kind of how I felt the first time I did a medium-size rainbow in the terrain park last season, I just went for it (and only in my second season of skiing) and nailed it....although, it probably gave me a little too much confidence and I've bit it a few times pretty hard since then, LOL!! But now I encourage my 7 year old to push herself also, she loves jumps and trees and will totally be better than me probably by the end of this season...

Cajunchai

Diva in Training
I've gotten really shaken up when I fall or get stuck on a run that I didn't want to go on in the first place. If I fall on a black run that I chose to do I'm fine but I've had a couple experiences with more experienced skiiers who have convinced me to go on these difficult runs. (Maybe I should learn to stand my ground!)

I'm less afraid when skiing alone, because I don't rush and I can choose exactly where to go.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've gotten really shaken up when I fall or get stuck on a run that I didn't want to go on in the first place. If I fall on a black run that I chose to do I'm fine but I've had a couple experiences with more experienced skiiers who have convinced me to go on these difficult runs. (Maybe I should learn to stand my ground!) I'm less afraid when skiing alone, because I don't rush and I can choose exactly where to go.
In "A Conversation with Fear" she talks about the "Yikes zone" and that you need to go back and forth in and out of your comfort zone. I have been skiing a lot this year and breaking through from intermediate to advanced. I find that skiing one day with a more advanced friend is good, but a few days of that in a row and I lose all my form and confidence and start to suck. I told her recently "I can't ski with you for a while, I have to get my mojo back." Skied by myself and with some other people, and now I'm dialed in and ready to be pushed again.

newboots

Angel Diva
(Maybe I should learn to stand my ground!)

Yes.

I think we have all been through this. I endured this for years. My BF and his family cheered me on, "But you skied it! And you didn't fall!" but I didn't want my goal to be inching down a trail without falling. I wanted to ski somewhere that was fun, not terrifying.

People who learned to ski as kids don't have any concept of what they are putting us through. When you learn to ski at 4, you don't experience the same fear. You don't imagine being hospitalized with a head injury, or multiple fractures. You don't know what an ACL is. And you think falling is a blast!

I must have a say - and veto power - on what trails we will ski together. And I'm perfectly happy to split up and reconnect. Unless my friend is an instructor, they might not get it. But I want to like skiing, not feel like I've narrowly escaped death!

StaceyC

Diva in Training
Yes.

People who learned to ski as kids don't have any concept of what they are putting us through. When you learn to ski at 4, you don't experience the same fear. You don't imagine being hospitalized with a head injury, or multiple fractures. You don't know what an ACL is. And you think falling is a blast!

I must have a say - and veto power - on what trails we will ski together. And I'm perfectly happy to split up and reconnect. Unless my friend is an instructor, they might not get it. But I want to like skiing, not feel like I've narrowly escaped death!

Yes!! This! I learned to ski when I was almost 30 so I feel like I have always had that fear and I always will. I know what can happen if I fall the wrong way. I think that's been the hardest thing for me to overcome. And I totally agree on not wanting to inch my way down a difficult slope. Yes, I want to be able to tackle new, challenging terrain, but I want to enjoy my day, not spend the whole time feeling fearful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna