• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl 2018 vs Blizzard Black Pearl 2020

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all

I am looking at purchasing my first pair of skis. I was recommended Blizzard Black Pearl 88 while I was getting some new boots fitted (yay!). The shop had 2018 model on sale for $399. I am wondering if there has been much change between the 2018 and newer models. I was also recommended the Volkl Yumi. I am 5'9" and 130lbs. I am on the beginner side of intermediate and would love to get a pair of skis to grow with me. I am generally on blues or milder black, and I recently started messing with moguls. I mostly ski in CO but take trips to Utah and NM. Any input or advice would be appreciated! Thx!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all

I am looking at purchasing my first pair of skis. I was recommended Blizzard Black Pearl 88 while I was getting some new boots fitted (yay!). The shop had 2018 model on sale for $399. I am wondering if there has been much change between the 2018 and newer models. I was also recommended the Volkl Yumi. I am 5'9" and 130lbs. I am on the beginner side of intermediate and would love to get a pair of skis to grow with me. I am generally on blues or milder black, and I recently started messing with moguls. I mostly ski in CO but take trips to Utah and NM. Any input or advice would be appreciated! Thx!
The Black Pearl was essentially the same from 2018-2020. The newest version is the 2021 and is much, much different. What length did they have on sale?

The Yumi would also be a great choice depending on length.

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
They had 159 and 166 for sale in the black pearls. I'm not sure about the Yumis. I think the Yumis were full price but the Pearls seemed like a deal at $399....I think that's a deal?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
They had 159 and 166 for sale in the black pearls. I'm not sure about the Yumis. I think the Yumis were full price but the Pearls seemed like a deal at $399....I think that's a deal?
It's a deal.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, that's a deal. Are bindings included? Even if not, that's still a good price for new skis of that caliber. The 2018 BP88 is a fun ski for many women.

I am 5'9" and 130lbs.
At your height/weight, 159cm would probably be on the short side. Do you know what length skis you've been using?

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, that's a deal. Are bindings included? Even if not, that's still a good price for new skis of that caliber. The 2018 BP88 is a fun ski for many women.

At your height/weight, 159cm would probably be on the short side. Do you know what length skis you've been using?
I haven’t skied on anything as long as 166 but I’m tempted to go for them. The last time I skied it was on 158s

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearl was essentially the same from 2018-2020. The newest version is the 2021 and is much, much different.
@contesstant have you written up any notes on this? I haven't been on the ski forums for a few months, maybe I'll come across them.

I have BPs from 2011, those are my 'fat' skis. Goes to show how often I ski in deeper, ungroomed snow (i.e. hardly ever). They still work, bindings are good, and I still like them. I'll replace them one of these days, bear with me, meanwhile those bulls still twinkle.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have BPs from 2011, those are my 'fat' skis. Goes to show how often I ski in deeper, ungroomed snow (i.e. hardly ever). They still work, bindings are good, and I still like them. I'll replace them one of these days, bear with me, meanwhile those bulls still twinkle.
I'm keeping my 2011 BPs as rock skis. Even treated them with Phantom. They were great at Alta in April 2019 when temps were in the 40s or even higher. I stayed out far longer in the afternoon than most other people who needed to wax before heading out the next morning.

Have to say that I liked the 2018 version of the BP88 a lot at Taos when only groomers were open. I'd skied the 2011 version a few days the northeast, but definitely wasn't recommending them for someone who lived in that region. By 2018, the BP88 was getting pretty common in New England after the design changes.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
I have the 2018 BP 88s and I still absolutely love them. I save them for groomer days because I live in the west. They are great skis and that’s a good deal imo.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck!! I have the 2018-2020 BP88 as well. I find them fun and confidence inspiring. I'm 5'3 and 115lb and happily on the 159cm. I got them last year when I was sort of a beginner-intermediate, after demoing the in that length.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant have you written up any notes on this? I haven't been on the ski forums for a few months, maybe I'll come across them.

So, my reviews kind of got sidelined by new boots. I had a heck of a time assessing much of anything that I skied on because we tested on literally the first day in my new boots after the gas pedals had been installed. So, there were a few skis I definitely clicked with, but the BP88 and 98 were both a bit of a head scratcher for me. I hope to get out on them again, along with others.

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
And they’ve sold out - bummer. Oh well - back to square one! Any input on a similar ski would be appreciated! Thx

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And they’ve sold out - bummer. Oh well - back to square one! Any input on a similar ski would be appreciated! Thx
If you're truly on the beginner side of intermediate, and aren't exploring powder much yet, then I'd go even narrower with a Nordica Astral 84, Head Total Joy, Blizzard Black Pearl 82, Rossignol Experience 84W. Something along those lines that is a bit narrower but certainly a major step up from a rental ski that will give you confidence and handle some off-piste stuff, too. Most of those I mentioned above can be found fairly inexpensively. I know Ski Essentials had the Astra 84 for around $200, but I think they were sold out of most lengths.

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! Is this something that I’ll need to upgrade quickly as I progress?
Also - I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful any patient with my newbie questions!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! Is this something that I’ll need to upgrade quickly as I progress?
Also - I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful any patient with my newbie questions!
No, any of those skis will be suitable right through becoming an advanced skier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly