• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First Day Reports, 2020

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
First day at Stevens last Friday. Pretty good coverage and decent snow after a deluge of rain earlier in the week. Only skied a few hours due to some aggravating hamstring/bursitis issues grrrrr.

Was also a bit spooked by lift lines and crowding at base of lifts- felt like waaaaay too many people for me. Took way longer to load lifts than I’m used to. Whole mountain was not yet open, so that was def a factor, and I think Friday may be the new Saturday still. Will be trying Wednesdays instead as I’ve recently reduced my work schedule to try to avoid the crowds, but I also think the WFH group has increased the weekday crowds in a lot of outdoor activities in PNW.

Mask compliance was variable. Saw a few folks in base area with NOTHING. Lots of noses too. Jeez people. LOTS more employees than in past scanning and walking the lift lines; some engagement w/skiers and reminding about masks, but more just standing and watching.

Felt a bit like a princess whining about booting up and getting ready at the truck and appreciate all the tips in the thread devoted to that. Have been really spoiled with hubs’ office at the mountain to use as my own personal locker! Used to leave my skis, poles, boots, pants, helmet, etc and loads of extra gear there; now hubs cannot enter his own office unless he’s working and has to have someone from the shop bring all gear while he waits outside, so I’m schlepping everything except skis and poles.

Took our camp chairs and table for parking lot lunch. Was fine and weather (mostly) cooperated. Took a rumpl blanket too. Will def be different in inclement weather though. Will prob bring our hiking stove for something hot on occasion.

Was great to be on mountain again, but I’m def torn about how “essential” skiing is this year. If the crowds (and the stupid hamstrings/bursitis crap)continue, I just don’t know. Been skiing for 45yrs now and I know there will be many more years to come. It just feels a bit out of touch when somebody dies of covid in the US every 40 seconds right now. I also think working as RN makes me hyper-aware and debbie downer-like regarding all this so we’ll see. Skiing def brings joy but I’m weighing it all right now.

Jenny

Angel Diva
It just feels a bit out of touch when somebody dies of covid in the US every 40 seconds right now. I also think working as RN makes me hyper-aware and debbie downer-like regarding all this so we’ll see. Skiing def brings joy but I’m weighing it all right now.
Understandable, but you likely need a bigger break for rejuvenation than a lot of us do!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Only open-air trams I can remember out west were at Big Sky and Taos.

Taos is not running their parking lot shuttles at all for 2020-21. May well be a staffing issue more than anything else. At 25% or 50% capacity, not going to be that long a walk for the people who drive and those will mostly be locals.
I seem to remember that Snowbasin also has open-air trams in its parking lots.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I seem to remember that Snowbasin also has open-air trams in its parking lots.

Deer Valley has that. I felt like I was sitting in one of the open cars on a kiddie train! But it was a whole lot better than walking forever in ski boots! my friend who I visit in Utah always boots up in her car. But she knows how to get close enough to deal with it so that she’s not walking all over everywhere or at the likes of Deer Valley she knows how to get a ride.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Winter Park does too right?

I know I can’t answer this one! I have yet to ski Colorado. I was planning on it last season to go to Breckenridge. But one thing and another and I didn’t go. And then when I was about to head to Utah Covid happened. I have a hard time getting my mind to go to Colorado. I have to fly into Denver and then drive however long to get somewhere. I fly into Salt Lake City and I’m at 10,000 feet in an hour or so!

newboots

Angel Diva
First day report:
I went to Hunter today, and planning to ski powder (as well as I can) in the big storm tomorrow. Today was fine. My legs are tired, but ZERO pain in the hip and groin. I guess the adductors and abductors drown it out!
there’s very little intermediate terrain open, and I wasn’t ready to try any unfamiliar black trails. Maybe tomorrow, if I can learn to stay atop the snow!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day report:
I went to Hunter today, and planning to ski powder (as well as I can) in the big storm tomorrow. Today was fine. My legs are tired, but ZERO pain in the hip and groin. I guess the adductors and abductors drown it out!
there’s very little intermediate terrain open, and I wasn’t ready to try any unfamiliar black trails. Maybe tomorrow, if I can learn to stay atop the snow!

I’m glad you are in no pain! And live to fight another day!

MissySki

Angel Diva
First day report:

Yay for no hip pain!! Have fun and take pictures. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly