• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I gave up my ski pass for 20-21

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think I heard that Ikon is now allowing till March 2021. So as long as you don't use it by then, you can defer it.
The deadline for someone who doesn't use their Ikon pass is mid-April 2021 to defer to 2021-22. The date kept getting pushed later during the summer.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ling - The two big guys are allowing you to defer your pass till next year. You would have to check with your pass as to what date you have till. I think I heard that Ikon is now allowing till March 2021. So as long as you don't use it by then, you can defer it.
Don’t think that’s true of Epic.

Unlike IKON holders, Epic Pass holder can’t just defer if they feel like it. There’re a few specific conditions they have to meet. All of those are outside the control of the pass holders.

At least that’s what I understand. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgeable.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Don’t think that’s true of Epic.

Unlike IKON holders, Epic Pass holder can’t just defer if they feel like it. There’re a few specific conditions they have to meet. All of those are outside the control of the pass holders.

At least that’s what I understand. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgeable.

The way it's set up for the Epic Pass, if you haven't used your pass or selected seven Priority Reservation days by December 7, you can call in to request a refund.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The way it's set up for the Epic Pass, if you haven't used your pass or selected seven Priority Reservation days by December 7, you can call in to request a refund.
I maybe reading it wrong, but I thought it was only if I’m unable to select 7 Priority days of my choice that I qualify for a refund? Not just by choosing not booking the 7 Priority days?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I maybe reading it wrong, but I thought it was only if I’m unable to select 7 Priority days of my choice that I qualify for a refund? Not just by choosing not booking the 7 Priority days?

Right—so that's the advertised language. The actual policy enactment appears to give a bit more leeway. Here's the page in question:

https://www.epicpass.com/info/epic-coverage.aspx

Q: What if I cannot get the Priority Reservation Days I want by December 7?

A: Request refund by December 7 for a full refund. Note: you are not eligible for a refund on December 7 if you used your pass at any time or at any time selected your maximum amount of Priority Reservation Days.

That language suggests that in practice, they'll refund anyone who doesn't have their full allotment booked on December 7 and who hasn't ever had their full allotment booked. They have a lot of resorts and they could hypothetically ask "well, which days did you want that you couldn't get?", but it'd be just as straightforward for someone to reel off a list of dates at locations they had no intention of booking but which are currently full-up. It's easier to make it on-demand than to make everyone prove something.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As of last week, there were no Epic resorts for which a Priority Day reservation couldn't be made, including during holiday periods. The idea is that if someone wanted to take a ski vacation for a week or so but couldn't get their desired destination in Nov, then they could get a full refund no questions asked. Priority Days are not really meant for local usage, although can be used for Saturdays during the core season for someone who knows what they want to do in Jan-Mar before Dec. 8.

Normally Epic passes are only sold until early Dec. After that, all that's available to ski at VR resorts are pretty expensive day tickets. It's a business model that has served Vail Resorts pretty well since 2008. Requiring people to make a decision about keeping an Epic pass for 2020-21 before Dec. 8 seems like just a variation on requiring people to make a decision about buying an Epic pass before most resorts are open.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I seriously thought about deferring our Ikon pass after the recent stay-at-home order in CA means we can’t lodge at Mammoth, as we had been planning to next weekend. When we decided to go to Big Bear last minute instead (which currently only has a few runs open on manmade snow, but is a 2 hour drive from our house in LA and therefore doable as a day trip) I had to ask my husband if he would still want to use our pass if day trips were our only option, and we decided it would be worth our mental health either way. I also looked into getting a Mt. Baldy pass after they offered us a $200 season pass for skiing there in May, and while it was a ridiculously cheap offer, we don’t really have the luxury to be on two passes - we’re also not sure how much Baldy will be open this year as some years the snow coverage is not enough to justify even the one hour drive from our house.

All we can do at this point is hope that the stay at home order is effective enough that we can ski Mammoth once the case rate goes down, and that a vaccine will have some effect in the near future.

We don’t blame anyone who has decided that this is not the year to go skiing. It’s hard enough to coordinate an in-state weekend trip with all the changing restrictions, and we can’t even imagine going out of state to ski at the current virus levels.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also staying local: Mohawk Mt. in Cornwall, Connecticut. 1 hr from home.

newboots

Angel Diva
Now it's official. In addition to my Epic Northeast Midweek, which I'll be able to use at Hunter Mtn (1 hour away) and the Empire Card (discounts on Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface), I splurged and spent $300 on a pass to a small mountain, Thunder Ridge that's a half-hour away. I hope to be able to take my granddaughter up there so she can try out skiing at the ripe old age of 2 1/2. And it's a place I can easily go for a few hours of skiing without the longer drive, and surely a place I can practice some skills. I've never been there, but it looks like they have a few challenging trails, too.

This is four new mountains to try! I'm going to really miss Okemo (and @Abbi !) and to a lesser extent, Killington, which I never grew to love because of Mr. Blizzard taking me on terrifying trails early on. I always felt nervous at Killington, even later after I was more than capable on the blue trails. I'll miss the women's workshops and pretty woodsy trails at Suicide Six. But I think (fingers crossed) that there will be enough terrain to keep me on snow this winter, barring lockdowns or closures.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now it's official. In addition to my Epic Northeast Midweek, which I'll be able to use at Hunter Mtn (1 hour away) and the Empire Card (discounts on Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface), I splurged and spent $300 on a pass to a small mountain, Thunder Ridge that's a half-hour away. I hope to be able to take my granddaughter up there so she can try out skiing at the ripe old age of 2 1/2. And it's a place I can easily go for a few hours of skiing without the longer drive, and surely a place I can practice some skills. I've never been there, but it looks like they have a few challenging trails, too.

This is four new mountains to try! I'm going to really miss Okemo (and @Abbi !) and to a lesser extent, Killington, which I never grew to love because of Mr. Blizzard taking me on terrifying trails early on. I always felt nervous at Killington, even later after I was more than capable on the blue trails. I'll miss the women's workshops and pretty woodsy trails at Suicide Six. But I think (fingers crossed) that there will be enough terrain to keep me on snow this winter, barring lockdowns or closures.

I will miss skiing with you, too! When I get there that is! It sounds as though you have a good plan in place for you. And wonderful that you’re willing to introduce the urchin to skiing. :wink:

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

hi Newboots. I think Jack Frost will still be doing ladies clinics on Wednesdays. Id love to meet up with you at one of them if you wanted to! Not sure how far that is for you, but it is on the Northeast Epic :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
hi Newboots. I think Jack Frost will still be doing ladies clinics on Wednesdays. Id love to meet up with you at one of them if you wanted to! Not sure how far that is for you, but it is on the Northeast Epic :smile:

Hmm, 2 hours. That would make 5 new mountains! But we might be able to make it happen. I know @Olesya Chornoguz now has the Northeast Epic too; maybe she would want to come!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, 2 hours. That would make 5 new mountains! But we might be able to make it happen. I know @Olesya Chornoguz now has the Northeast Epic too; maybe she would want to come!
I actually have a 5-day Epic pass and I have 2 more days left on it that I was planning to use at Jack Frost. I am happy to ski JF with Divas, just let me know when, mid-week is hard because I am working full time, even though I am working from home I have to be online 9-5 and have to take time off to ski mid-week.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Olesya Chornoguz and @newboots I'll be making Lake Harmony my winter home most likely- I can ski mid week or weekend. I had plans to be a full time ski bum this winter. Covid has thrown a wrench in the plans, but I foresee MANY jf ski days. Olesya, do you even continue your JF day at BB or is one mountain enough for a day. They are pretty close to one another if you feel that you need a little more time after 4. BB has some nice runs, but they definitely serve a more snowboard/younger crowd. JF seems a little more of a family resort to me. Maybe its just me.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Olesya Chornoguz and @newboots I'll be making Lake Harmony my winter home most likely- I can ski mid week or weekend. I had plans to be a full time ski bum this winter. Covid has thrown a wrench in the plans, but I foresee MANY jf ski days. Olesya, do you even continue your JF day at BB or is one mountain enough for a day. They are pretty close to one another if you feel that you need a little more time after 4. BB has some nice runs, but they definitely serve a more snowboard/younger crowd. JF seems a little more of a family resort to me. Maybe its just me.
Hi there, I have skied JF many times since moving to PA 5 years, JF is fun, BB is very small. I only skied at BB a few times early season because BB wasn't open. There have been a couple of times BB opened around or before Thanksgiving and it was fun for an early season ski fix for a day. But yes otherwise BB is too small, not much vertical for skiing. Yes it caters to park skiers/snowboarders,

There are 2 other Divas @vanhoskier and @tinymoose that I asked at JF with in the past years, though this year they don't have Epic pass so I am not sure they will be skiing at JF at all.

Feel free to PM me and @newboots , maybe we can meet up and ski at JF sometime. They have some really fun terrain, they have very easy glades that they blow snow into and some fun bump runs, groomers are great too. I like JF a lot, JF and Montage are my favorite ski areas in PA.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious, which would you consider the easy glades there? off of Challenge? I have such a mental hurdle with trees! I think its because I ski fast, and In the trees requires more precise control and turns.. My kids all did the JF race team, so I used to ski there every Sat and Sun, but usually stick to the open groomed. This year, I want to change things up.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious, which would you consider the easy glades there? off of Challenge? I have such a mental hurdle with trees! I think its because I ski fast, and In the trees requires more precise control and turns.. My kids all did the JF race team, so I used to ski there every Sat and Sun, but usually stick to the open groomed. This year, I want to change things up.
Yes, those are the ones.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm less inclined to ski JF this year, only b/c between the weather and pandemic I'm not sure how long of a season we'll even get, I already paid for a Montage season pass, and I'm a full-time student currently so money is tight. But if you guys do end up going, let me know and I'll consider it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly