• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Sizing on powder (105 waist) skis?

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies, currently looking at some skis with waist around 105cm and wondering what should i do size wise?
usually the manufacturers recommend the same hight for same skis.
I went on Rossignol website and they recommend same size for Soul 7 hd as for some 75-90 waist skis.
i am 5’4” around 135ibs and all my skis so far were 162-163cm.
Should i jump the size and go for 172cm or stay within the same length? Will there be a big difference in the trees ?
It is about the same for other skis i am considering: line pandora 104, atris birdie 108

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
I ski in Colorado. So i am looking for something that would be powder ski/daily driver on the good snow days. If it hasn’t snowed for a while a would probably take my other skis out (victa 87, alluvit 88) but i am looking for something that will be fun in powder but also stable enough on groomers. I am scared that because of a rocker these skis would ski shorter but on the other side i can ski everything but i am the worst in trees and that is why i am scared of sizing up. For example sometimes i even do wish my victas were longer when i am on open groomers. Alluvits i almost don’t ski at all anymore because victas are a lot better on groomers.
Thank you.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Given that, and I'm sure other divas will chime in too, but I'd say go for the longer length. I'm pretty much your exact stats and also have all skis around the mid 160s, but I ski on the east coast with tighter trails and trees for the most part. When I go West and have more room to let my skis run on more ungroomed terrain, I definitely have felt that I could benefit from a little more length to add stability. I also know I could benefit from more length in general for float in powder, but I like trees a lot (and I'm not great at them) so I fear the extra length for that reason in the East.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you're in CO, I highly recommend checking in with the team at Powder 7; they'll be able to give you good pointers on length. Their website suggests 157-165 length for a powder ski for someone your height/weight. Maybe 168 max?

I also ski in Colorado and my daily is the K2 Mindbender 98 at 168 (I'm 5'10"). It has done great for me in everything but the biggest powder days and is very stable on our groomers (though I'd want something narrower for icy conditions). My powder skis (Sheeva 11, 112 underfoot) are 172, so only a 4cm length difference, but they're MUCH more work turning on groomers, which disqualifies them as my dailies.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Since you're in CO, I highly recommend checking in with the team at Powder 7; they'll be able to give you good pointers on length. Their website suggests 157-165 length for a powder ski for someone your height/weight. Maybe 168 max?

I also ski in Colorado and my daily is the K2 Mindbender 98 at 168 (I'm 5'10"). It has done great for me in everything but the biggest powder days and is very stable on our groomers (though I'd want something narrower for icy conditions). My powder skis (Sheeva 11, 112 underfoot) are 172, so only a 4cm length difference, but they're MUCH more work turning on groomers, which disqualifies them as my dailies.

I always personally think the charted lengths for women's skis skew short. Maybe a demo day would be a good idea if there is not a huge rush to buy.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always personally think the charted lengths for women's skis skew short. Maybe a demo day would be a good idea if there is not a huge rush to buy.

So many ways that the outdoor industry shorts women! I had a total forehead slap of a moment buying new ski boots last month when the fitter told me that the main difference between men and women's boots was the height of the cuff, "Because men tend to be taller." And I'm sitting there as a rather tall woman. Ended up in a men's boot.

It doesn't look like Powder 7 changes their length recommendation based on gender, at least in the "Ski finder" tool, so that's a good thing.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
So many ways that the outdoor industry shorts women! I had a total forehead slap of a moment buying new ski boots last month when the fitter told me that the main difference between men and women's boots was the height of the cuff, "Because men tend to be taller." And I'm sitting there as a rather tall woman. Ended up in a men's boot.

I ended up in a men's boot for similar reasons (5'11"). Nice to see another Amazon on here! I think there are a few of us around.

Unrelatedly, I'm kind of curious if anyone knows whether the boot companies do the same sorts of weird math with the flex index on womens' boots that shoe companies do for things like shoe width. "Standard" width for a woman's shoe is B, but for men it's D, even though those two standard widths are similar in proportion to foot length. In other words, is a women's 115-flex possibly the same construction as a men's 130?

elemmac

Angel Diva
I am scared that because of a rocker these skis would ski shorter but on the other side i can ski everything but i am the worst in trees and that is why i am scared of sizing up. For example sometimes i even do wish my victas were longer when i am on open groomers.

If you sometimes wish your Victas were longer, I would consider going up a size in the Soul 7's. The extra length may take some time to get used to, and if they're a bit too much in tight trees, you can always resort back to your Victa's when you are expecting to spend a lot of time in the trees. If you're using them mainly on good snow days, I think the extra length will help in both stability and float.

Well he's not completely wrong. Men's boots do tend to have a higher cuff. But I've always been told it's because women's calves tend to sit lower...not because "men tend to be taller" :rolleyes:. Women's boots often have a different (warmer) insulation.

In other words, is a women's 115-flex possibly the same construction as a men's 130?

Normally the women's 115 in a boot is the same (or very similar) to the men's 120. You can generally tell the "same construction" by comparing pricing.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
5'10" 175lb woman here. Moved to men's boot last year in a 27.5 after fitter looked at me and said "Nope, no women's boots for you. You'll crush them." I'm now in Lange RX 120lv boots and love them! I'm lucky to have found two women's skis in the 171-172 length but have pretty much had to go to men's skis for length. Very annoying. I did surprise myself two winters ago when I demoed that I can actually handle a longer length. After a few runs I didn't notice the extra length. I did notice the increase in stability. I was told your ski length and construction should be determined by your height and weight. It doesn't know whose driving them, only the weight and pressure applied.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5'10" 175lb woman here. Moved to men's boot last year in a 27.5 after fitter looked at me and said "Nope, no women's boots for you. You'll crush them." I'm now in Lange RX 120lv boots and love them! I'm lucky to have found two women's skis in the 171-172 length but have pretty much had to go to men's skis for length. Very annoying. I did surprise myself two winters ago when I demoed that I can actually handle a longer length. After a few runs I didn't notice the extra length. I did notice the increase in stability. I was told your ski length and construction should be determined by your height and weight. It doesn't know whose driving them, only the weight and pressure applied.

I think I need to try demoing more longer skis -- we're the same height and weight. I love my 168 length skis, and the one time I demoed a longer ski last season was on a really slushy day. I didn't feel like I could control them properly, but hard to say if that was the length or the conditions or the ski itself.

I'm excited to try my new boots (whenever things get rolling in Colorado, covid willing). I ended up in the men's Salomon S Pro 100, after Atomic Hawx 80. Pretty sure I should've been in a stiffer boot all along.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I think I need to try demoing more longer skis -- we're the same height and weight.
Had I not demoed I would not have thought I could handle a longer length. It instilled confidence to be able to ski lengths more appropriate to my height and weight. 168 now feels a little too short for me and unstable at faster speeds. I’m excited to try my new Liberty v82 in the 172 length. There’s considerable more effective edge so they will feel longer than my Kore 93s in 171. But I’ve skied up to a 174 ski and not had an issue.

Hope your boots work out! I couldn’t believe the increase in control I gained moving from my old women’s Salomon Xpro 80s to the much stiffer mens Lange RX120 in the low volume fit.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva

Thank you! I did send them a massage about Rossi Soul 7 and they said 164cm will probably ski shorter then i am used to but they wouldn’t go all the way up to 172. So now trying to find something similar 165-168 range but no luck so far.
How would you rate mindbender’s flex? Are they pretty stiff? I have allovei

thank you.
I did contact them asking for Rossi Soul 7 and they said 164cm will probably ski shorter then i am used to but it doesn’t justify jumping all the way to 172. Now i am trying to find something similar within 165-168 range but no luck so far.
What is your experience with mindbender’s flex? Are they pretty stiff? I never really looked more into them as i find alluvits and fulluvit to be too soft for me. Really unhappy with them in anything but soft snow. Sold the fullovits but kept alluvits as i like them in moguls.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
I sold my k2 fullovits so i really want to have something wider if it happens to snow in early season. My armada victas 87 are more groomer oriented. And also demo skis here are 50$ a day so trying 3-4 different skis ends up being 1/3 of your ski price. I wish there was a free demo day as i am in between sizes in most skis i looked at...

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! I did send them a massage about Rossi Soul 7 and they said 164cm will probably ski shorter then i am used to but they wouldn’t go all the way up to 172. So now trying to find something similar 165-168 range but no luck so far.

thank you.
I did contact them asking for Rossi Soul 7 and they said 164cm will probably ski shorter then i am used to but it doesn’t justify jumping all the way to 172. Now i am trying to find something similar within 165-168 range but no luck so far.
What is your experience with mindbender’s flex? Are they pretty stiff? I never really looked more into them as i find alluvits and fulluvit to be too soft for me. Really unhappy with them in anything but soft snow. Sold the fullovits but kept alluvits as i like them in moguls.

Sorry, I honestly don't have much of a frame of reference for how stiff my Mindbenders are. Moguls are my least favorite type of run, too, so unfortunately can't give you guidance for how they do there.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
I reviewed the 88 Mindbenders. They are a bit stiffer but I would not say overly. Just right.

thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly