• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Recommendations for lightweight skier

tinygirl

Diva in Training
Hi everyone! I've been skiing for about 10 years, usually just a week or two each season. I'd consider myself to be an advanced intermediate skier (and most of my friends would agree). Since I don't ski too much and don't have a lot of storage space in my apartment, I generally rent, but I'm beginning to realize that the beginner skis they usually give me are just not cutting it. On my most recent trip, however, I tried some upgraded skis and felt entirely overpowered.

I'll probably keep renting because of the above concerns, but I'm wondering what sort of skis I should look into on my next trip. I'm about 5' 3" (160cm) and 100lbs. All of the ski length calculators say I should look for skis in the 148-156cm range, which sounds about right. Based on some comments in another thread, someone mentioned there could be minimum weights for women's skis, so I'm wondering if juniors skis might work better.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, tinygirl! Welcome to the forum! I'll say it before anyone else here does: you gotta take care of your boots first, because really, they're even more important than your skis. Do you own a pair yet? If not, go to a good boot fitter and work with him to find a pair that's right for you.

As for skis, where do you generally ski? East? West? What's your skiing style? Are you aggressive? Tentative? Do you stick to groomers or do you go off piste? Tell us more.

tinygirl

Diva in Training
Thanks for the quick reply!

I unfortunately don't own my own boots, although I do plan on buying a pair hopefully this season! One of my concerns there is that I want to make sure I buy boots that will fit the kind of skis I end up renting going forward :smile:

I've mostly skied out west the past few years, but generally ski at least a few days on the east coast as well. I'm generally pretty aggressive when skiing and go just about anywhere on piste and in any condition (since I don't travel enough days to be picky about snow).

Jilly

Staff member
Boots....will fit just about any ski. If for some reason they put you in a junior boot, then that could be a problem if the boot doesn't marry up with a adult binding. But unless you're wearing kids shoes, you should be able to get a adult boot.

I know, skis are sooo pretty. But the boots are your connection to the ski. And most newer skiers are in boots at least 2 sizes too big. And rentals...FOR SURE! Imagine no pain, no slipping inside your boot, no broken parts (rentals) and boots that flex like their suppose to.

As for skis, some places will list the skis they have for rent at the high performance level. I was able to do this last year at Lake Louise. I was only going to be 2 days, so I wasn't lugging my skis out. Took my boots though! I was able to order ahead on line, which it looks like a lot of places are doing this year because of Covid. So the skis were waiting for me and my boots to adjust the bindings.

So before you go, take a look and see if your rental places has this option. Post what you think, or ask us for suggestions based on what's available. Because suggesting a ski and then finding out it's not something they rent, no point.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
But the boots are your connection to the ski. And most newer skiers are in boots at least 2 sizes too big. And rentals...FOR SURE! Imagine no pain, no slipping inside your boot, no broken parts (rentals) and boots that flex like their suppose to.
Totally agree with the above, and second the suggestion to find a good boot fitter (as opposed to a boot salesman. Then, once you have your own boots, you can rent demo skis wherever you ski, and get a chance to try out various skis before you decide to buy. I've found that by mid-Feb or so, a lot of places will actually sell you the skis you demo'd at a discount. I've bought a couple of my favorite skis this way.

Bonus: you don't have to deal with the lines at the rental area; usually you can get the demos the night before, and there are usually no lines at the demo ski shops.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Hey! I so second the boot thing!!! Don't worry at all about it fitting the ski... unless like before someone mentioned you have kids feet. I do have kids feet and have that problem, but they do sell junior race boots that are slightly smaller and fit an adult binding. But I'm gonna guess that your feet aren't as small as mine... since I've only come across 1 other adult in my life whose feet were the same size as mine.

In the meantime, like others said, find a good boot fitter. Best case, make an appointment or West to do so. I made the mistake of going to a salesman back in the day that I thought was a boot fitter... not so much... multiple sizes too big because he didn't have anything smaller... Midwest. If you're gonna do it not in the west, look for someone that fits the local ski race team. They'll know more. Otherwise, check out somewhere out west.

Also, after the boots, then come back to look at skis. Feel free to do the demos if you already rent. Better ski for the rental money. And when you're ready, try some women specific skis because they're usually lighter. But beware... the bindings usually make things way heavier lol. I always wanted a pair of the Blizzard pearl skis lol. But never got them. I've heard some people really like the head joy series of skis and they are pretty light. Lol for something around 82 underfoot if you're mostly on piste. Skis are pretty personal, but those might be a couple options to start the hunt with. There's so many good skis out there!!!!

Good luck!
Jenny

tinygirl

Diva in Training
Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone! I will definitely look to get some good boots first. My feet are pretty average, so I don't think I'll need juniors boots at least :-)

I also like the suggestion to pick a rental shop (or demo shop) first, so I'll come back once my ski trips are more firmed up!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone! I've been skiing for about 10 years, usually just a week or two each season. I'd consider myself to be an advanced intermediate skier (and most of my friends would agree). Since I don't ski too much and don't have a lot of storage space in my apartment, I generally rent, but I'm beginning to realize that the beginner skis they usually give me are just not cutting it. On my most recent trip, however, I tried some upgraded skis and felt entirely overpowered.

I'll probably keep renting because of the above concerns, but I'm wondering what sort of skis I should look into on my next trip. I'm about 5' 3" (160cm) and 100lbs. All of the ski length calculators say I should look for skis in the 148-156cm range, which sounds about right. Based on some comments in another thread, someone mentioned there could be minimum weights for women's skis, so I'm wondering if juniors skis might work better.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone! I will definitely look to get some good boots first. My feet are pretty average, so I don't think I'll need juniors boots at least :-)

I also like the suggestion to pick a rental shop (or demo shop) first, so I'll come back once my ski trips are more firmed up!
Welcome! When I started skiing more regularly, it was when I was skiing 10-15 days with my daughter as she learned ages 4-6. First purchase was a pair of recreational boots during an early season sale. They were "new old stock" from a previous season. I owned boots but they were about 10 years old by then and not a current design with current materials, so it was worth the upgrade.

Do you have a local ski shop? Some people do a season lease for the first year or two when not skiing that many days. Avoids the hassle of renting every time. Boots won't be great but at least you can take your time finding the best fit possible.

I'm petite, 5'0", 110 pounds. Have always used adult gear. My mother was happy when my feet grew into Size 7 so that finding adult shoes wasn't a big deal. Back in the 1970s, finding good looking women's shoes under size 6 was difficult.

Have you found the Gearipedia section?
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?forums/gearipedia.49/

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey! I so second the boot thing!!! Don't worry at all about it fitting the ski... unless like before someone mentioned you have kids feet. I do have kids feet and have that problem, but they do sell junior race boots that are slightly smaller and fit an adult binding. But I'm gonna guess that your feet aren't as small as mine... since I've only come across 1 other adult in my life whose feet were the same size as mine.

In the meantime, like others said, find a good boot fitter. Best case, make an appointment or West to do so. I made the mistake of going to a salesman back in the day that I thought was a boot fitter... not so much... multiple sizes too big because he didn't have anything smaller... Midwest. If you're gonna do it not in the west, look for someone that fits the local ski race team. They'll know more. Otherwise, check out somewhere out west.

Also, after the boots, then come back to look at skis. Feel free to do the demos if you already rent. Better ski for the rental money. And when you're ready, try some women specific skis because they're usually lighter. But beware... the bindings usually make things way heavier lol. I always wanted a pair of the Blizzard pearl skis lol. But never got them. I've heard some people really like the head joy series of skis and they are pretty light. Lol for something around 82 underfoot if you're mostly on piste. Skis are pretty personal, but those might be a couple options to start the hunt with. There's so many good skis out there!!!!

Good luck!
Jenny
Late joining this thread, but as a fellow tiny-footer I'm curious what boots you've liked for smaller feet. I'm going in to get fitted next week, but just doing some early shopping around. I wear a size 4.5 (US) in fitted shoes/close-toed pumps, and I can do 5-6 in running shoes or boots, but I also can wear a child's 2-4, depending on the shoe. My current boots (which are old, and were purchased from a rental shop) are Nordica 23.5. So I should be able to find something decent in adult boots, but know that my options will be a bit more limited due to needing the smaller size. And also curious about the quality of some of the JR racing boots as of course kids boots are cheaper...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Late joining this thread, but as a fellow tiny-footer I'm curious what boots you've liked for smaller feet. I'm going in to get fitted next week, but just doing some early shopping around. I wear a size 4.5 (US) in fitted shoes/close-toed pumps, and I can do 5-6 in running shoes or boots, but I also can wear a child's 2-4, depending on the shoe. My current boots (which are old, and were purchased from a rental shop) are Nordica 23.5. So I should be able to find something decent in adult boots, but know that my options will be a bit more limited due to needing the smaller size. And also curious about the quality of some of the JR racing boots as of course kids boots are cheaper...
I just go to my trusted bootfitter and talk to them about how I ski, what my price range is, and then let them give me boots to try on. I don't ask about the boots until I start finding ones that feel good. They haven't led me astray yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Since my feet are 7.5-8 and I'm in a 24.5, your Nordica's are TOO BIG. You might end up in junior race boots. Nothing wrong with them at all.

Agree with this!
I’m an 8-8.5 in regular shoes and my downhill boot is downsized to a 23.5 while my AT boot is a 24.5 to allow for a more relaxed fit for hiking.

23.5 sounds huge for you @SMichael08

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll echo the others that a 23.5 for your stated foot size is huge, and I'll add that I don't see you fitting into an adult boot but that's not the end of the world. I have small feet for my height, but even worse, extremely narrow feet and finally found a boot that fits (after YEARS of switching boots mid-season, trying to find the Holy Grail) and it's a "junior" race boot. (It's a 22.5 Rossi Hero.) I had to go with an aftermarket liner, since the race boots come with super thin liners that take up zero volume and are not comfortable. I think Rossi/Lange will probably be your best options to get into a boot small enough that still have an adult lug (sole) so that you don't have binding interface issues. My boot is stated as a 120 flex, but it sure doesn't feel like it. I've never been in anything stiffer than a 105 flex in the past, and these boots feel perfect, even at the stated 120 flex rating.

Anyway, don't be afraid to go into what is called a "race" boot. One of the benefits of race boots is they can be modified and softened a lot if necessary. I really can't see you fitting properly in any traditional adult boot, even in a 22.5.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva

Hi! So my boots are currently Tecnica Jr race boots from almost 10 years ago (266 sole length and Tecnica doesn't do Mondo... but they say it's a 2.5)... I'm procrastinating getting new boots cause it's so difficult!!!! I wear a size 2 in converse shoes, can't fit into anything size 6, and usually go with a size 3 shoe or boot (mostly kids stuff). I've been measured at a Mondo 19 (could have been 21, but I can't remember exactly) ... but then they get too narrow for me and too soft. My first boots i bought myself were a 23.5... duh... too big!!! I didn't know it at the time though... it was a small Midwest store that only had that and wanted a sale i guess. In any case, I got better and smarter and found a bootfitter that could help. Adult boots can go down to 21.5 or you can opt for Jr race boots. I plan on upgrading this season... been looking for several seasons... and I am planning on going to racers edge in Breckenridge this time around. We'll see what happens. My Minnesota boot fitter gave me some options to look at. He said there were more options now than back then lol... go figure:

Lange RS 90, Head RS 90, Tecnica Mach 1 85 W's, Rossignol All track Pro 100 woman's. These are some good ones.

So that's what I'll be asking about or seeing what the boot fitter says when I go. Also be aware of the flex. I think mine were 90 flex at the time. I'm fairly aggressive now, and I totally over flex in these older ones I have because one, they're old and two, I'm better now. So be aware of that. Oh... and you mentioned quality... race boots tend to be of better quality than other kid boots, and if they have a good flex, 4 buckles, and adult lug, then more than likely they're OK. Although i think some are going to 3 buckles in different locations... not super sure on that point though. I am working on my level 3 certification now and I wear them, so don't worry too much about quality. A boot fitter will help determine that a well.

Keep me posted on what they say for you when you go! Thanks!

Last edited:

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all! I was surprised too that mine were this big when I looked, though it didn't seem that crazy given that running stores have usually sized me up into 6s for running shoes. I just popped them on barefoot (still drinking my morning coffee) and there's a bit of room to move forward and back, but not much. My toes hit the front quite easily, so with a sock (which I do tend to wear somewhat thick) it really would have me right at the end. Although it's possible that's partly about the angles because when putting my toe right to the end barefoot, there is a bit of a room in the heel/ankle.

I wish I could remember what size I bought when I bought the skis - at some point I lost mine/had them jacked on a group ski trip and picked these up along the way. Anyway, I'll be really curious to see how the fitting goes. And it's good to hear that I don't need to be nervous about junior race boots!

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks all! I was surprised too that mine were this big when I looked, though it didn't seem that crazy given that running stores have usually sized me up into 6s for running shoes. I just popped them on barefoot (still drinking my morning coffee) and there's a bit of room to move forward and back, but not much. My toes hit the front quite easily, so with a sock (which I do tend to wear somewhat thick) it really would have me right at the end. Although it's possible that's partly about the angles because when putting my toe right to the end barefoot, there is a bit of a room in the heel/ankle.

I wish I could remember what size I bought when I bought the skis - at some point I lost mine/had them jacked on a group ski trip and picked these up along the way. Anyway, I'll be really curious to see how the fitting goes. And it's good to hear that I don't need to be nervous about junior race boots!

Yeah, so boots should fit like a glove or tighter. You shouldn't be able to move forward and back at all... keep that in mind cause if they tell you otherwise, I'd question their knowledge. Think about it this way... if you want your ski to tip or turn and your foot turns in your boot first, then you aren't getting your ski to react quickly, because your foot has to move first, then your boot with more effort on the part of your body and then finally your ski moves. It's not efficient, and it's more work on your part to ski.

I'm not a foot expert or expert fitter, but some basics to think about are when you put the boot on, you jam your heel all the way back first to get good and snug. Then when you stand with knees flexed, you should be able to wiggle toes without touching the front of boot (not move whole foot around), then when you stand upright, your foot will naturally extend forward slightly in the boot... very slight... and if you can barely feel the front of boot with your toes, that's about right. You don't want your toes bent or curled at front at all, otherwise it gets super uncomfortable, but if you stretch for that front and can barely reach it, I'd say it's about right. But the rest of your foot shouldn't go anywhere. Your heel needs to stay put.

I tend to have more room in the toe box because I have shorter feet, but if they can keep your heel in place, it's doable. I generally have a heel lift in mine... but the boot fitter should be able to take care of any problem areas. So be very honest and let them know where it hurts even just slightly. Or if you're moving at all. You should be in the boot in the store for i think at least a half hour to let your foot get accustomed to the boot so you can tell where it hurts, has space, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all! I'm really excited about new (not just new-to-me) boots. These really haven't been bad length-wise when socked up (no noticeable movement then), but they aren't good either. I still manage to get numb toes with them. And I probably erred on the side of comfort when I bought them because I'd never had a boot fitting before (thanks, dad) and my only experience of ski boots was of them being miserable to wear. So to have something that worked and didn't immediately suck felt like a revelation. Stoked to get something with better fit AND without pain!

Jilly

Staff member
Numb toes may not be because of the length or volume. It could be the width and/or shape of the toes. Also your body system. My feet sweat . So then my feet get cold...

two words....boot heaters.....

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
LOL...true...lots of reason for numb toes...mine is because I spend most of my time on my toes because I have a ginormous instep....or because putting any pressure on the top of my foot causes pain...but a heel lift helped for me so I'd have more even pressure across my foot. But a good bootfitter will hopefully know how to help those problems. :smile: And I vote for boot heaters too....although I've never owned them...I've always wanted to get some!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly