• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for getting ready in the car

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m just hoping they announce a release date soon for the 2021 Sienna. My minivan died over the summer and I decided on the new Sienna since it will be hybrid AWD. But the virus put the release on hold for a bit. I’m not looking forward to a ski season with a Civic as my lodge.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like we need to lobby for each resort to put a bench next to an exterior outlet and have a hair dryer to borrow at the end of day. Although then you would have the issue of walking back to your car without your boots on. Hmmm, maybe instead of a full bag check that would take a lot of space, just a shoe check tent or mini lockers outside that really only fit shoes and maybe a thermos.
This is a great idea. Outdoor benches, distanced, heaters if possible, out door mini lockers.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm generally booting up in the carpark so I always put my boots in the footwell of the car on the passenger side to warm them, a friend has made skinny wheat bags which she microwaves before shoving in the boots and another friend boils water and pours it into those little mini bar bottles and jams those into the boots, good luck gals x

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I’m grateful that I only drive 3 miles or less to get to the mountain. But I am still totally envious of all of you with modern cars with things like heated seats! My 2005 Honda CRV, even being an EX model, does not have heated seats.
You can get aftermarket heated seats installed for a couple hundred bucks. I have done this in my past two vehicles.

Jilly

Staff member
I had a seat cover that heated up using the accessories plug. But I do love my heated seats now!! Thinking those small heat packs with rice or oatmeal might be a plan.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a seat cover that heated up using the accessories plug. But I do love my heated seats now!! Thinking those small heat packs with rice or oatmeal might be a plan.

me too (I think I already said that), but, I'm thinking of getting another one for the passenger seat to heat up driving gloves or an extra pair of socks or even my regular walking boots.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
me too (I think I already said that), but, I'm thinking of getting another one for the passenger seat to heat up driving gloves or an extra pair of socks or even my regular walking boots.
I had one of those plug-in warmers but it only lasted a few weeks before it broke :noidea:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm thinking of filling a pair of long socks with rice and microwaving them before I leave in the morning. I'll snuggle those socks down into the boots for the ride in the car (1.5 hours), and block the top of the cuffs with my mittens so the heat won't escape that way. Then I'll set the boots down under the heat vent for the passenger seat. I may wrap the boots and in insulation - I have some that will work. I may also tuck a pair of hand warmers down in the toes first. That should adequately take care of having warm boots to put on in the parking lot.
Now that's a clever idea! Way to keep that carbon footprint down, too! :clap:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was my first day out and I learned that my boots are not made for walking. Whew, it was an awkward hike up to the lifts. I might use my AT boots at the resort this year just because they have a "walk" mode.

I learned that it's a good idea to have a little lanyard/carabiner set-up so that I can hang my mask up to air out when I'm on a break. Boy, it gets soggy.

I'm glad I brought my N95 for using the lodge restroom.

For booting up at the car, I had a towel to put down on the rear bumper of my hatchback (which is always filthy in the winter) to keep myself clean while I put my boots on.

I wish I'd brought some sort of mat to put my feet on while I changed.

I should have brought my camp chair to sit on during lunch; forgot it today.

I was glad I brought my external phone charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

newboots

Angel Diva
I carry spare masks or one, at least, because mine get soggy just walking around or hanging out. A carabiner is a good idea! If you ski fast down a couple of runs, they should dry quickly!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@SallyCat , I like the tip about putting a towel over the rear bumper. That's a great idea.

Tomorrow will be my first day booting up in the car. So far I've been lucky. My husband has driven me over to the mountain each day, so I've been able to boot up at home and just wear my boots over there. I'm planning to bring a step stool so I can sit on it when I boot up in the lot. I'm thinking that might be easier than wrestling with them from the back of the car, but we'll see.

@SallyCat , get yourself some Cat Tracks to put on the bottom of your boots when you walk from the parking lot. They'll protect the base of your boots and give you some better traction for the walk.

Last edited:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- Masks lose effectiveness once it gets wet so do not reuse them. You can layer a gauze or a tissue between your mouth and the mask to absorb moisture, then change out the gauze/tissue.
- Bring a folding chair or sturdy stool to use when booting up at car, I find it better than leaning on the bumper.
- I use a beach towel as a mat because it is easier to clean/wash.
- I also bring puppy pads (pee pads) to line my trunk/boot tray to catch melting snow/dirt on my way home. I buy from Costco - $16 for 100 pads)
- I keep my boots/helmet/goggles/gloves/etc. (and shoes) in a grocery freezer bag to keep them warm while the car gets cold from sitting in the parking lot.
- I attach my pass to an extendable cardkey/ID holder so I can pull my pass as far away from my body as possible for the staff to scan.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like this thread. As someone who is new to the whole use-your-car-as-your-base-lodge thing, I can use all the tips I can get. @SallyCat , I like the tip about putting a towel over the rear bumper. That's a great idea.

Tomorrow will be my first day booting up in the car. So far I've been lucky. My husband has driven me over to the mountain each day, so I've been able to boot up at home and just wear my boots over there. I'm planning to bring a step stool so I can sit on it when I boot up in the lot. I'm thinking that might be easier than wrestling with them from the back of the car, but we'll see.

@SallyCat , get yourself some Cat Tracks to put on the bottom of your boots when you walk from the parking lot. They'll protect the base of your boots and give you some better traction for the walk.

I brought some small collapsible step stools with us last time and they worked great!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
This summer we bought a used minivan to use as a camper (the back of those things fits a double bed!), and, I have to say, with the middle row seats in and all the way back it's very plush for booting up in the car. I can do everything comfortably with the doors closed. Having only the 3rd row seats in would be even better, but those are a pain to remove and we removed them for camper purposes so they're just staying out.

2020 has brought many strange things, and one of them is that we (a childless 40ish couple) have become huge minivan fans. They're the ultimate utility vehicle. If you're a skier and you own a minivan, winter 20-21 is its time to shine. :rotf:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This summer we bought a used minivan to use as a camper (the back of those things fits a double bed!), and, I have to say, with the middle row seats in and all the way back it's very plush for booting up in the car. I can do everything comfortably with the doors closed. Having only the 3rd row seats in would be even better, but those are a pain to remove and we removed them for camper purposes so they're just staying out.

2020 has brought many strange things, and one of them is that we (a childless 40ish couple) have become huge minivan fans. They're the ultimate utility vehicle. If you're a skier and you own a minivan, winter 20-21 is its time to shine. :rotf:
I converted a Ford E-350 into a camper van -- just finished working on it this yr -- and am looking forward to using it as my ski vehicle. @RachelV have you done any actual ski-camping in it, or just using it for day trips? Anyone else ski-van camping?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I converted a Ford E-350 into a camper van -- just finished working on it this yr -- and am looking forward to using it as my ski vehicle. @RachelV have you done any actual ski-camping in it, or just using it for day trips? Anyone else ski-van camping?

No ski camping. :smile: We're more fair weather campers than winter campers, plus the sleeping setup is now all disassembled to make room for the seats for booting up. I'll start a camper thread, though. Would love to hear / see more about your truck!

Edit: thread created! https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/show-off-your-camping-setup-camper-van.25256/

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2020 has brought many strange things, and one of them is that we (a childless 40ish couple) have become huge minivan fans. They're the ultimate utility vehicle. If you're a skier and you own a minivan, winter 20-21 is its time to shine.
Yep, we are now empty nesters and I just bought a new minivan. I am used to having the cargo space, and am not willing to give that up. My new one does have less cargo space since the 2nd row seats are not removable, but on the other hand they do slide back a full 2 feet. I had no problem booting up inside. Removing the boots at the end of the day was a little trickier, but I'm sure with a little trial and error I'll get it down.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BIG yes to cat tracks - but I found they did not work well for my boots at all - so got yak tracks (sp?) instead. Heard about cat tracks here (wish I knew before!) here so that was good to know about and the Yak version work like a breeze (not the Cats). I also add a way to go to bathroom in the car which helps my ski day (shorter than perhaps it would be as dont want to hang out) be much more comfortable. .....and of course doing what I can to not touch anything (ski pass in pocket) at the resort, including on ski safety bar, and bringing a bag or ski bag to leave water, maybe spare shoes in to return to car after. boots on in car aided this year by a boot thing that helps foot slide in.

Last edited:

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my 10 year old minivan and im in market for a new car. Hubby wants me to get something sporty and fun, but Im like, I think I am a minivan mom for life..my youngest is 6'2..hahaha. I think the van life is def the way to go this winter. also, this was the lodge at JF today . IMG_4431.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly