• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

Soujan

Angel Diva
I'm a first responder in New York City and my husband is a physical therapist. I have continued to go to work full time through it all. My husband, unlike most of his co-workers, decided to do his part and volunteered to join a proning team at the hospital. His co-workers got paid to stay home. Crazy enough, neither of us have contracted COVID. Both of us have been tested multiple times for anti-bodies with negative results. I went out to go shopping for food and supplies and never had food delivered. We wear our masks and carry hand sanitizer and wash our hands thoroughly. I still see women in the public restroom splash some water on their hands for a second and call it good. I had a good friend, a distant family member, and a former co-worker, all pass from COVID. As long as I take precautions to protect myself, that's all I can really do. I'm not overly scared of catching it. We also eat indoors to support the local restaurants.

We just came back from Bar Harbor, ME, which doesn't require a quarantine for NYers. We drove there and spent a week enjoying the outdoors. Most people were respectful and wore they're masks when others were close by or took a wide berth if not wearing masks. We ate indoors and outdoors without any issues.

It's not possible for use to do a 7 or 14 day quarantine, so it is unlikely we will be skiing this year since we mostly ski in VT and NH, where the cross state travel rules are strict.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm a first responder in New York City and my husband is a physical therapist. I have continued to go to work full time through it all. My husband, unlike most of his co-workers, decided to do his part and volunteered to join a proning team at the hospital. His co-workers got paid to stay home. Crazy enough, neither of us have contracted COVID. Both of us have been tested multiple times for anti-bodies with negative results. I went out to go shopping for food and supplies and never had food delivered. We wear our masks and carry hand sanitizer and wash our hands thoroughly. I still see women in the public restroom splash some water on their hands for a second and call it good. I had a good friend, a distant family member, and a former co-worker, all pass from COVID. As long as I take precautions to protect myself, that's all I can really do. I'm not overly scared of catching it. We also eat indoors to support the local restaurants.

We just came back from Bar Harbor, ME, which doesn't require a quarantine for NYers. We drove there and spent a week enjoying the outdoors. Most people were respectful and wore they're masks when others were close by or took a wide berth if not wearing masks. We ate indoors and outdoors without any issues.

It's not possible for use to do a 7 or 14 day quarantine, so it is unlikely we will be skiing this year since we mostly ski in VT and NH, where the cross state travel rules are strict.

Is NY not allowed in NH without quarantine??? I thought they didn't really have any rules on this (maybe it's different outside of New England states), and I'm shocked they'd be more stringent than ME with a particular state.. Especially considering MA has been allowed in NH all summer while ME only just lifted our quarantine restriction a week ago but has allowed NY in for awhile now. It's all so crazy to try and keep track of.

My town has been gray, the lowest color on the MA rating scale this whole time, and suddenly we have something like 9 active cases which has put us into the yellow category. I mean, how ridiculous.. I don't even know what the cases are, are they a cluster, was it a party, what?? Seems so odd to suddenly have that many when we have had almost none for awhile now. But does this really stick us in a yellow category second from the worst?? It's for every 14 days of data, so hopefully this is a weird blip that just plays out and we go back to normal, but yeah these maps sure are alarmist imo.. a little excessive to sound the alarm due to 9 people. Some towns have had this happen from outbreaks in nursing homes.. this is horrible, but does that really mean the community at large is in a large amount of new danger for spread?? I don't know.. In those cases it didn't and they are back to normal now.

Marty Walsh went off on Boston specifically yesterday though, yikes he was super pissed and told everyone they need to stop having parties and not wearing masks (including the college aged kids "who think the rules don't apply to them" etc.). So that was interesting.. Really hope people start buckling down more, but I fear the fatigue is not going to help us going into flu season. :(

Soujan

Angel Diva
The NH website is really vague but it seems like they don't want anyone from out of state. It pretty much says see you when this is over. ME took NY off the quarantine list back in July. NYC is having an uptick in cases due to large maskless gatherings.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The NH website is really vague but it seems like they don't want anyone from out of state. It pretty much says see you when this is over. ME took NY off the quarantine list back in July. NYC is having an uptick in cases due to large maskless gatherings.

NH is allowing anyone from New England to travel there without quarantine; anyone else can visit, but is supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks. Info here.

As far as mask-wearing and distancing, New Hampshire is a free-for-all. If I had to quarantine anyway, I'd choose Vermont just because mask compliance is higher.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

First of all, kudos to you as a first responder. I recently read an article that said that first responders/medical folks are basically no more likely to get and pass on COVID than anyone else, mainly because of the use of PPE.

Regarding where to ski, what about New York resorts? I've never been to them myself, but it seems like NYers have some nice terrain to play on--beats the pants off what we have in MA.

Soujan

Angel Diva
First of all, kudos to you as a first responder. I recently read an article that said that first responders/medical folks are basically no more likely to get and pass on COVID than anyone else, mainly because of the use of PPE.

Regarding where to ski, what about New York resorts? I've never been to them myself, but it seems like NYers have some nice terrain to play on--beats the pants off what we have in MA.

Thanks. The best option would be Whiteface but that is 5 and a half hours away for me. I have Ikon base again this year. With flu season coming, I don't see travel restrictions being eased. I'm definitely not using my pass just to go to Windham. The better option would be for me to get the Empire frequent skier pass

altagirl

Staff member
All I can say is that many of you are a lot braver than I am. I haven't been anywhere since March, and I'm terrified of air travel -- not just because of the planes, but because it'd mean going through airports. Yes, a lot of people follow the recommended precautions, but too many people don't, and I worry about that.
I'm with you. I have not even been to a grocery store since March. I can't really imagine traveling right now but I have a friend who drive to another state and they are extremely cautious and stayed in their second home only stopping for gas and not going inside. It sounded reasonable enough. But I see people here protesting masks and whatnot and it makes me think I wouldn't want to get on a plane or go inside any public space without lots of ventilation right now. I know I'm much more cautious than average but, that's my comfort level I guess.
FWIW, I'm still paying for my unlimited yoga membership win i won't be using for the foreseeable future. But i want to support them.

Last edited:

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Soujan, why not come back to Maine? Use that Ikon pass at Sugarloaf or Sunday River.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't understand VT's Travel restriction map.

They have my NY county in yellow- claiming we have 400-799/million active cases.
HELLO!!!! There are only 52,000 that live in my entire county!!

We've had 28 deaths all at our nursing home due to Our Governor's mandate to put sick covid positive back into nursing homes with zero quarantine space.

Seems more and more likely I'll be staying in NY all winter :-(
IF I leave I'd have to quarantine for 2wks when I come back or face hefty fines!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

They have my NY county in yellow- claiming we have 400-799/million active cases.

We've had 28 deaths all at our nursing home due to Our Governor's mandate to put sick covid positive back into nursing homes with zero quarantine space.

IF I leave I'd have to quarantine for 2wks when I come back or face hefty fines!

I don't understand it, either, but in case you're interested, it's based on some algorithm that's described here.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I believe it hurts smaller populations like this due to the extrapolation. :(

That being said, you could come to ME, NY is still welcome there without restrictions!! MA too, but it’s not worth your drive to Wachusett lol. Not sure what NH is doing.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vermont's COVID rate jumped by 50% this past week, and schools have been largely unimpacted. Leaf-peeper visitors, perhaps?
A continuation of the trend doesn't bode well for loosening restrictions.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Vermont's COVID rate jumped by 50% this past week, and schools have been largely unimpacted. Leaf-peeper visitors, perhaps?

I read a news article last week that stated that a large chunk (maybe 25 or so) of the new Covid-19 cases in Vermont were linked to migrant workers that were working at an apple orchard. I believe they were still in a 14-day quarantine when testing positive. Another chunk of new cases were linked to a golf tournament.

ETA: I don't think this was the article I initially read but here's more detail on this one...https://vtdigger.org/2020/10/07/after-outbreak-at-champlain-orchards-owners-hold-their-breath/

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read a news article last week that stated that a large chunk (maybe 25 or so) of the new Covid-19 cases in Vermont were linked to migrant workers that were working at an apple orchard. I believe they were still in a 14-day quarantine when testing positive. Another chunk of new cases were linked to a golf tournament.

ETA: I don't think this was the article I initially read but here's more detail on this one...https://vtdigger.org/2020/10/07/after-outbreak-at-champlain-orchards-owners-hold-their-breath/

Good points about those clusters. Some of the Bennington golf tourney positives were New Yorkers, though the data doesn't say from which counties. The orchard workers flew into Boston and took a bus to Addison county. Both cases seem to call for increased caution around interstate travel as well as gatherings.

elemmac

Angel Diva
The orchard workers flew into Boston and took a bus to Addison county. Both cases seem to call for increased caution around interstate travel as well as gatherings.

I think it was JFK that they flew into (not that it really matters)...but I feel like they did all the right things as far as quarantining goes. And they prevented the spread to the community by following Vermont’s 14-day quarantine policy...in my eyes this is a success story of the system working.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it was JFK that they flew into (not that it really matters)...but I feel like they did all the right things as far as quarantining goes. And they prevented the spread to the community by following Vermont’s 14-day quarantine policy...in my eyes this is a success story of the system working.

Exactly; so I wouldn't expect quarantine regulations to be loosened as they are demonstrably effective.

Chris W

Certified Ski Diva
Things are heading quickly in the wrong direction here in NJ and I anticipate trouble in trying to plan anything ahead this year, particularly in VT (our family's preferred east coast resorts). Going to need to wing it this year and hope for opportunities to arise.

Chris W

Certified Ski Diva
And as to a point above, I hadn't put it together but yes I'm sure that the orchard's outbreak is what is accounting for VT's local spike. It's a farm close to my parents' place that we've gone to for many years and they had been sending updates every few days about their outbreak, but I hadn't put together that that probably accounts for such a significant percentage of VT cases.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Things are heading quickly in the wrong direction here in NJ and I anticipate trouble in trying to plan anything ahead this year, particularly in VT (our family's preferred east coast resorts). Going to need to wing it this year and hope for opportunities to arise.

:( I feel your frustration on things going in the wrong direction.. that's definitely the trend in MA right now too. Our positive numbers are in the 800s per day now when they had held steady for so long in the 3-500 range. The worst part in a perfect storm ahead of ski season is that for some reason our tests per day number have dropped dramatically in recent days. I don't know if it has to do with the way schools were testing, people having to test ahead of trips to ME which seemed plentiful, etc. or what, but we were at 25k+ tests per day and now sometimes it's practically half that. Needless to say that drastically changes the positivity rate even with the number of positives not changing dramatically from day to day. I know that might mean that we actually have a higher positivity rate in general, but it could not be the case as well since so many people were asymptomatic and simply testing to be able to go or stay at school for in person classes and traveling etc. The numbers sure can be skewed for all these scenarios when you start testing people who aren't actually "sick" or exposed. I'm so worried that Maine is going to change us back to restricted.. I mean if that happens I'll just be mostly staying at my seasonal rental as far as ski season goes, but I just don't want to deal with additional stuff from locals just due to my license plate..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly