• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for getting ready in the car

Tvan

Angel Diva
Before we leave the house, I open my hand warmers and drop them in my boots. Then I put my boot bag on the heated back seats. My boots are plenty warm when we arrive.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m grateful that I only drive 3 miles or less to get to the mountain. But I am still totally envious of all of you with modern cars with things like heated seats! My 2005 Honda CRV, even being an EX model, does not have heated seats.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I ski this season (you can tell I'm filled with plans and thus hope) .....

I'm thinking of filling a pair of long socks with rice and microwaving them before I leave in the morning. I'll snuggle those socks down into the boots for the ride in the car (1.5 hours), and block the top of the cuffs with my mittens so the heat won't escape that way. Then I'll set the boots down under the heat vent for the passenger seat. I may wrap the boots and in insulation - I have some that will work. I may also tuck a pair of hand warmers down in the toes first. That should adequately take care of having warm boots to put on in the parking lot.

Getting the cold boots off at day's end is simply going to be a real problem. Maybe I'll sit in the passenger seat and plunk them under that same vent and wait for the car to warm up before trying to pry them off. I can't find any hair dryers that can be used effectively in a car to warm the flaps, as I always do in the lodge at day's end.

altagirl

Staff member
Before we leave the house, I open my hand warmers and drop them in my boots. Then I put my boot bag on the heated back seats. My boots are plenty warm when we arrive.
I do the same, but put my boots on the floor of the front passenger seats with the floor vents blowing heat.
And i can usually get my boots on in the car, whether i drive my little Subaru or am a passenger in my husband's truck (and I'm 5'9"). If they are warm it typically isn't a problem. I'd just get dressed and have an audio book or good music in the car for the wait. Hot tea or something in a thermos...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I put my boots on low before I leave my apartment. I was also told a few years ago to fill plastic water bottles with hot water and put those down inside the boot. That warms up the shells from the inside out. Probably wouldn’t be good for a multi hour drive but you’ll be in a heated car that long anyway.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I've had a reason to boot up in the car, I've done it in the back seat. Pretty straight forward when I was driving my own minivan. When in a rental SUV, still find it easier in the back seat than the front seat. But I'm petite so that helps too.

Good point, could certainly do the backseat with the front seat pushed forward as well! I think I've usually done the front because of heated seats and the regular heater vents are there. My passenger side is really roomy, so type of car would play a role on the better spot. Also whether you are alone or have others in the car needing to get ready too.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just curious, with all these tips to keep your boots warm in the car...how cold do you ladies keep your cars on your drive?!?! :brr:

As long as I don’t put my boots in the trunk/truck bed I’ve never had an issue with my boots being too cold from a drive to the mountain (even on 2+ hour day trips).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm thinking of filling a pair of long socks with rice and microwaving them before I leave in the morning. I'll snuggle those socks down into the boots

I actually have some sock like things that are cloth filled with rice made specifically to warm ski boots. Mine are probably 2"wide by 12"long that I purchased at a boot fitters shop in Tahoe. They absolutely work for the few boot up in cars that I do (only to go to Squaw or Mt Rose where I don't have lodging close by). So for 30 minutes or so boots are super toasty. I tried to google them and can't find as I don't know the name of the item!

altagirl

Staff member
Just curious, with all these tips to keep your boots warm in the car...how cold do you ladies keep your cars on your drive?!?! :brr:

As long as I don’t put my boots in the trunk/truck bed I’ve never had an issue with my boots being too cold from a drive to the mountain (even on 2+ hour day trips).

Depends! If I'm driving alone, it's warm. If my husband is driving he has his window open and I'm fully bundled up ...

Christy

Angel Diva

My boots aren't truly cold if I don't make it a point to station them under the heater, but they aren't warm, either. And warm boots are nice. :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
My boots aren't truly cold if I don't make it a point to station them under the heater, but they aren't warm, either. And warm boots are nice. :smile:
And my feet get cold, unless it's spring skiing weather. Might as well start as warm as possible! Though i guess if you have swearing issues that's the opposite...

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't want to warm up my boots in order to make my feet warm and comfy. I want to warm them up in order to get my feet into them.

My boots are stiff. When they are at a nice 70º room temperature they are still so stiff that I can't pry them open so my feet can be wedged into them. I soften the two flaps that overlap each other with a hair dryer directly pointed at those plastic flaps, on top of the tongue. I do this every day I ski. There is no way a hairdryer will work in a car. It needs a wall outlet to have enough power to generate that much heat.

Socks filled with warmed up rice probably won't do the same since the socks will be inside the liners. Oh well. I'll try anyway. Can't hurt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna