• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpack for out West

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone have any recommendations for a backpack to use out West? Not for backcountry or anything but I would like to have one with a water bladder and then be able to carry a couple snacks, and maybe a spare pair of gloves and a couple other things (layers!). I was looking at a camelback but the ones on the site for a typical male torso (17-21). I am only 5’3 so o have a feeling all those packs won’t work quite right for me. But I will go measure my torso once I get home.

also, since I have you here, anything else specific that I should buy/carry? This is my first time out West so I am sort of clueless!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have one of the Dakine women's packs that I adore. Heli Pro, I think it is called. Has compartment for water bladder, Goggle compartment, and ski carry loops. I'm 5'1" and it actually can accommodate my small torso.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have one of the Dakine women's packs that I adore. Heli Pro, I think it is called. Has compartment for water bladder, Goggle compartment, and ski carry loops. I'm 5'1" and it actually can accommodate my small torso.
That's the one I picked after some research a few years ago. I'm 5'0".

I also have the Kulkea Micro Pack for when I have no need for the ski carry function. Here's the TSD review:
https://www.theskidiva.com/gear-review-kulkea-micro-pack-a-multi-activity-daypack/

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got 2 Dakine backpacks - heli pro 12 and 20 (both are the women's version which is a bit slimmer around the shoulders). The 12's good for a resort day pack, and is slimmer than the 20L. The 20L's actually lighter than the 12, and fits avy gear plus everything for a day tour. The 12L is a better bet if you're just wanting to carry water, snacks, spare gloves and are staying in-bounds, as it has a slimmer profile and means you're less likely to carry more than you have to. Both are good as a way to carry skis if you want to hike at all.

In-resort I'd carry spare gloves, spare neck gaiter, have included an extra light-weight top recently as it's been very cold, extra pair of contact lenses, spare goggle lense depending on conditions, plus snacks/drink/money for emergencies. Sunscreen stick as well if it's bright.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Deuter Speed Lite 12. Basic and Easy. Use it year round. Like that its softer shoulder straps than some other packs and fits me 5'4". Don't need bulky pack if just carrying light items.

The other two ski specific packs Liftrider and Kulkea Micro Pack have a lot of cool options. Are you looking for ski carry as well?

Not sure about hydration freezing up, may want something with insulation depending on where you are going.

@Am716 What would be different for out west compared to where you ski now?

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
@MrsPlow good call on the extra pair of contacts! Definitly wouldn’t have thought if that!

@WaterGirl I ski a VERY TINY “hill” in Michigan. Love it because it’s close and you know everyone but anything out West is vastly different than what I am used to. The guys I am going with all use backpacks of some nature for snacks, hydration, and to be able to carry a couple things so just trying to figure out what is best!

Definitely will look into the Dakine (seems to be popular). But won’t like the liftrider looks pretty cool too!

Thank you so much!

marzNC

Angel Diva
anything out West is vastly different than what I am used to
My home hill in northern VA is even smaller than some midwest ski areas. :-)

Whether or not I bother with a small backpack at big mountains depends somewhat on the layout. If there are multiple bases or mid-mountain lodges, then I'm more likely to use a pack. If I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up at the base lodge where my boot bag is, then I just use jacket pockets. Note that my ski jacket has lot of pockets, including two inner mesh pockets that are large enough to fit a thin base layer if I decide to shed when temps warm up.

A water bladder is a good idea. Personally it didn't worth for me. Never could develop a habit of drinking often enough. Since I have to stop for a bathroom break fairly often the first few days at high altitude, it's easy to get water at the same time. There is always a water fountain or water and cups close enough to the restrooms.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually carry advil, and also nuun tablets to add to a bottle of water when we go out west. I get more dehydrated at higher altitudes. Ecuador was the worst, I lived off of gatorade (which I hated at the time).

Nuun tablets can get pricey, I only get them on sale. Target and even Walmart have electrolyte drink mix packets now. I take them backpacking, they work pretty well too.

I sometimes carry an empty gatorade bottle in my ski pack to fill up at the water fountain and mix up the drink. Works pretty well, and I don't care if it gets smashed up if I fall.

kiki

Angel Diva
I see that Vail is encouraging people to plan to bring water and snacks with them this season. I have never worn a backpack skiing though have this small one I got for hiking this summer that has one of those water bladders in It. Do you think it will work for skiing with??

https://www.dakine.com/collections/...products/syncline-16l-bike-hydration-backpack

Do you take it off before getting on chair lift? How do you deal with all the little straps flailing about? They don’t get caught on stuff? I only ski grroomed runs, no trees, but am wondering if it will be constraining, not sure of other options, my pockets are not big enough for water .
Recommendations appreciated.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually carry advil, and also nuun tablets to add to a bottle of water when we go out west. I get more dehydrated at higher altitudes. Ecuador was the worst, I lived off of gatorade (which I hated at the time).

Nuun tablets can get pricey, I only get them on sale. Target and even Walmart have electrolyte drink mix packets now. I take them backpacking, they work pretty well too.

I sometimes carry an empty gatorade bottle in my ski pack to fill up at the water fountain and mix up the drink. Works pretty well, and I don't care if it gets smashed up if I fall.

Have you tried Liquid IV? It's sold on their own site, Amazon, COSTCO and VitaCost. For the expense, I think it's better than Nuun and the packets are handy.

Jilly

Staff member
It was at that time. It's so comfortable. Because it's so narrow on the back, you shouldn't have to take it off for the lift. Plus it releases and will come off if needed. The pack came about because of that accident a few years ago at A-Basin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly