• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big SNOW in NJ 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that Big SNOW at American Dream Meadowlands has been open for a month, thought it would be good to have an ongoing thread for 2020. Since it's an indoor snow center that is open 365 days a year, figured going by calendar year makes some sense. Won't be any weather reports in this thread. :wink:

For earlier discussion about the history and opening days, here's the thread that started in May 2019. There are a few short videos starting at Post #33.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...slope-in-america-set-to-open-this-fall.23935/

Here's a trip report by a Diva who had a good time with her beginner daughter at Big SNOW recently.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/im-so-excited-and-proud-today.24425

marzNC

Angel Diva
With the holidays and first few weeks behind them, Big SNOW is starting the next phase for marketing. The email sent out today includes offers from a couple of the resort partners. Note that Snow Operating operates Big SNOW, and also owns and operates Mountain Creek in NJ. The founders of Snow Operating had leadership roles at Mountain Creek before leaving to found Snow Operating in 2012.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.01.11 AM.png

ski_vibes

Diva in Training
Went first thing in the morning today. Figured we’d try to skip the MLK weekend craziness on the mountains and check this place out. We were some of the few ones who brought our own gear, so the check-in process was surprisingly fast and seamless. They scan your QR code, and then they make you watch a short video before you enter the main rental area and lockers. We managed to get first chair and have the hill more or less to ourselves for a bit while everyone else was stuck in the rental process. Can’t speak to the rental process, but we were on the slopes for a while by the time the rest of the crowd caught up. Good thing is that your time limit (2 hrs) only starts when you scan into the slope, so you don’t have to worry about burning any time in the lockers.

It was bigger than I expected, and surprisingly fun despite being just a single run all the way down. I felt it was a great place to do some drills over and over and experiment. The snow was nice and neutral as well—not icy at all. I remember reading reviews that complained about the lift speed. I actually didn’t think it was too bad. Takes what felt like a minute to get back up the hill, and depending on how you treat your run, you could be back down in like 10-30 seconds.

After about an hour and a half that’s when it started to get real crowded, but we were almost at our 2 hour mark anyway so we took that as our cue to leave. It’s more than enough time since you pretty much stuck doing the same 1-2 trails over and over. I think it’s probably best to go on a weeknight if you want less crowds. As crowded as it was, still was nothing compared to the crowds you’d expect to find on a resort, and the lines move fast.

We browsed the retail shop after we were done, and apparently you get 10% off your purchase after your session (not sure if this is always the case though, or if it’s just a MLK deal). They had a decent variety of brands but everything was still pricey and I didn’t particularly need anything...so we left without buying.

Can’t wait to try it out during the summer! I live in NYC, and it was only a 30min drive away. Think it’s also accessible by public transportation too, which is great for those without a car.

Not a replacement for a mountain by any means, and I could see it being boring for some people after a while...but I like that it’s super accessible if I ever want to ski for a little bit but don’t have the time to trek out to resorts further out.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m super excited too! You can get a 6pack of 2 hour sessions online for $99... amazing deal to ski a bit during the summer

marzNC

Angel Diva
The pricing for Big SNOW is evolving. Now parents or other adults who just want to observe while standing on the snow without skiing/boarding themselves can pay $14.95 for an Observation ticket. That's similar to what Massanutten does at the indoor waterpark for parents who don't feel like getting wet but have kids too young to send into the waterpark on their own.

Big SNOW Snow Access, without rental clothes or gear - as of 27Jan2020
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.57.53 PM.png

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
They offered the "observation" option to my non-skiing dh last December, just didn't have it listed on the website.

I see they have also added that 6 and under free admission is slope access only (I've not been told that in person, but one employee did say good that daughter has her own equipment as they may not have small enough sizes - but I did see kids daughter's size in Big Snow rentals).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like the sizes for kids go down to Kids 8. That would've been too big for my daughter when she was 5 or 6. Smallest boot size is for children's street shoe Size 1.

Does look like they are set up for big folks: Adult XXL clothing and boots for shoe size 15.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 9.50.23 PM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone planning to go now that they've reopened this week?? I'm somewhat seriously contemplating going, in a couple of weeks.. I've been going back and forth because it's a lot of driving for a very small amount of skiing, BUT I've been cooped up in my own backyard all summer and I'm dying to take a drive elsewhere and ski so it might just be worth it!

Would be more motivated if perhaps any divas wanted to meet up and ski in a socially distanced fashion.. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would be more motivated if perhaps any divas wanted to meet up and ski in a socially distanced fashion.. :becky:
Not in September for sure. Plus NJ has to lift travel restrictions from states in the southeast. Perhaps later in the fall. I'd planned to figure out a way to stop in on my way to Lake Placid for my usual August trip, but of course that was cancelled.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not in September for sure. Plus NJ has to lift travel restrictions from states in the southeast. Perhaps later in the fall. I'd planned to figure out a way to stop in on my way to Lake Placid for my usual August trip, but of course that was cancelled.

I originally was thinking to wait until October and see how it goes for the first month, but I've skied in October a bunch of times so I want to check off skiing in September from my list since I've never done that yet :ski:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
This is very doable for me. I think we are still OK for travel to NJ from PA. I did get a Covid test in order to travel to restricted states and was able to do so while keeping social distance and taking all the precautions. Big Snow should be an easy place for a safe and FUN meetup!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is very doable for me. I think we are still OK for travel to NJ from PA. I did get a Covid test in order to travel to restricted states and was able to do so while keeping social distance and taking all the precautions. Big Snow should be an easy place for a safe and FUN meetup!

Looks like as of right now PA isn't on NJ's advisory list. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly