• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what's going to happen next season?

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is hope that the industry is busy trying to come up with viable solutions to all aspects involved with the ski resorts opening and operating in a way to save the season. Praying it doesn’t become to difficult to make happen. Here’s info https://crestedbuttenews.com/2020/08/public-transit-and-ski-season-dealing-with-a-pandemic/
regarding transportation and parking issues.
I saw recently that Colorado actually has one of the highest riderships for public buses in the country. The ski resorts that depend on bus systems have a lot of thinking to do.

Each ski area and ski resort has unique issues, as well as advantages. Other than the fact that capacity will be limited at all of them, the adjustments related to being open during a pandemic will vary quite a bit.

Refinnej

Diva in Training
I'm used to holding my breath throughout August waiting for the next inhale to burn with snowflakes but never like this. When the resorts closed here in March most allowed for uphill traffic so we were still able to ski every weekend but I worry deeply about all those who depend on the tourist skiers.

I am remaining hopeful the resorts will find a way to make it work without hemorrhaging so much money subsequent seasons are impacted further. I suppose all we can do is try to support the hell out of the ski dependent local business.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos Ski Valley sent out an email today. Bottom line is that they intend to be open for the winter season. It may take a few weeks or even a couple months before TSV can announce their plans.

Received via email on August 24, 2020

We Plan to Ski and Ride. An Update From Taos Ski Valley
"The days are still warm and the sun is shining here at Taos Ski Valley, but we’re already thinking about snow. We start going into overdrive this time of year, ramping-up planning and operations for the coming ski season, and right now, we’re doing just that.
We’re planning to ski and ride this winter, even though we still can’t predict the trajectory of the coronavirus pandemic and the governmental orders that come with it. We’re working hard to create a safe environment for our staff, our guests, and our community.
We’ve safely welcomed visitors to Taos Ski Valley this summer for hiking, biking, enjoying our new Via Ferrata, and outdoor adventures. Through this process we’ve learned important best practices about screening our staff, maintaining physical distancing in outdoor environments, managing the flow of people through the resort, and operating our lodging, dining, and retail outlets in this ‘new normal.’ Our staff, business partners, and summer visitors have embraced COVID-safe practices including mask-wearing and distancing, so we can maintain a safe environment and keep the summer fun going. All of this is helping us to plan for the winter.
. . ."

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Lots of great info and the resorts seem like they’re trying their best to formulate an opening strategy. Kudos to them!

I’m curious if anyone has their kids on team. We have three kids and I can’t figure how 500 team kids every weekend factor into the opening equation.

Also, my public PSA. Get your flu shot this season!

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Heard from one of our instructor friends from our Vail-owned resort:
- Limited day pass sales. No limits on selling season passes for now, sales have not met expectations?
- Daily lottery system.
- Gondolas/lifts in bubbles only. Singles/Staff ride solo. Two singles can ride on opposite ends of the 6-person chair.
- No indoor dining. Pick up and go food only.
- Restroom available only at certain lodges and village.
- No group lessons. Only private lessons. If kids are younger, then must have a guardian in the lesson. No lunches together. No touching or helping with gear or equipment.

But, everything is dynamic and can change at a moments notice!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
- Limited day pass sales. No limits on selling season passes for now, sales have not met expectations?
- Daily lottery system.
- Gondolas/lifts in bubbles only. Singles/Staff ride solo. Two singles can ride on opposite ends of the 6-person chair.
- No group lessons. Only private lessons. If kids are younger, then must have a guardian in the lesson. No lunches together. No touching or helping with gear or equipment.

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
- Daily lottery system.

Good information to have; thanks for sharing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The statement I've started seeing about people riding a lift together is that they should have "arrived together." Meaning that if two friends drove together to the resort, it's recognized that they should be able to ride a chairlift or gondola together. The idea behind a "merged bubble" is that the people from 2+ bubbles do not have to be related to each other.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The statement I've started seeing about people riding a lift together is that they should have "arrived together." Meaning that if two friends drove together to the resort, it's recognized that they should be able to ride a chairlift or gondola together. The idea behind a "merged bubble" is that the people from 2+ bubbles do not have to be related to each other.

I feel like I’m going to have some lonely chairlift rides this year :( Unless they allow singles to ride on the opposite ends of chairs or if any ski friends that are local want to buddy up.

kiki

Angel Diva
- Daily lottery system.

Thanks for sharing this.
Much as I’ve been expecting :-( as a person who skis alone or in group classes, and enjoys sitting down for a hot lunch, I’m thinking this might be a season off for me. have held off on purchasing my pass to see if we hear more on the group class options, otherwise just way too lonely up there. I’m afraid if I take a season off I’ll never be fit enough to return....sad prospects.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing this.
Much as I’ve been expecting :-( as a person who skis alone or in group classes, and enjoys sitting down for a hot lunch, I’m thinking this might be a season off for me. have held off on purchasing my pass to see if we hear more on the group class options, otherwise just way too lonely up there. I’m afraid if I take a season off I’ll never be fit enough to return....sad prospects.

If there are no group classes, perhaps some of those people might want to ski together even if you can’t ride the lift together? You can certainly stay distanced doing that, but still have someone to enjoy it with. I ski alone a ton, and I think it’s better than not skiing for sure, even though I also love skiing with others and being social as well! :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing this.
Keep in mind that the COVID-19 situation is not the same for all Vail Resorts locations. At Perisher in Australia, they did open up adult group lessons after there was enough snow cover to spread people out. The situation in Canada is different from Colorado, Utah, Tahoe, or New England.

Hot lunch is a different question.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loveland recently put out a very detailed update of how they expect to operate next season. It's nothing unexpected, but worth reading for the details.

Sad bits include that the Ridge Cat, which normally provides unlimited free cat skiing, won't run at all. The warming cabins will also be closed, the women's clinic won't be offered, and food will be "grab and go" only. I didn't see anything about managing total attendance.

Jilly

Staff member
Keep in mind that the COVID-19 situation is not the same for all Vail Resorts locations. At Perisher in Australia, they did open up adult group lessons after there was enough snow cover to spread people out. The situation in Canada is different from Colorado, Utah, Tahoe, or New England.

And we only have 1 Epic Resort - Whistler-Blackcomb. One of the ski instructors I know has decided not to return there this year. She doesn't think there will be enough business for all the instructors. I suspect that this may be the norm at a lot of the resorts.

I'm still waiting to here what Alterra has up it's sleeve for Tremblant and Blue. I haven't committed to my seasonal rental. But the latest Farmer Almanac news has me itching to go skiing. Snow and more snow....

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I already have my pass purchased so I'm committed... we'll have to see how the daily lotteries go. Work is somewhat flexible so I may just keep trying and go whenever I get in. I do hope that booking a lesson is a guaranteed admittance though...

kiki

Angel Diva
And we only have 1 Epic Resort - Whistler-Blackcomb. One of the ski instructors I know has decided not to return there this year. She doesn't think there will be enough business for all the instructors. I suspect that this may be the norm at a lot of the resorts.

I'm still waiting to here what Alterra has up it's sleeve for Tremblant and Blue. I haven't committed to my seasonal rental. But the latest Farmer Almanac news has me itching to go skiing. Snow and more snow....
I’ve been golfing a lot but my imagination has been drifting to the ski season. It sounds like a good snow season and you are right those farmer almanac predictions are egging us on lol!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm wondering about the daily lotteries as well. So if I decide to go for a week to Heavenly, am I to expect I may or may not get chosen in the lottery to ski ?
I haven't purchased my Epic Tahoe Local Pass yet but will before the deadline.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm wondering about the daily lotteries as well. So if I decide to go for a week to Heavenly, am I to expect I may or may not get chosen in the lottery to ski ?
The process for Perisher is that people could reserve 1-5 consecutive days in advance. After there was enough snow coverage and open lifts to spread out a crowd, more days and tickets were released. They are allowing people to call and cancel. Especially if the reason is related to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

VR may well want to implement some method to try to spread out reservations among as many different people as possible. I assume they were well aware of the mess for ABasin when some people got a ticket multiple times while others were shut out. For Perisher, there were too many people trying to get reservations/tickets the first few days back in late June. The wait was hours and hours using a queuing system normally used for concert tickets. That's because it was first in-first served. I think the first batch of days released covered about the first three weeks of the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly