• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mosquito beaters

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's the mosquito thingy I was talking about at happy hour Friday. Sorry about the size of pics two and three, I have no idea what happened!

36F92761-9F47-43D0-A815-7F1ABA4996A9.jpeg991393F2-2391-434F-BB68-99B5F77D01D4.jpeg
8668A53A-7B84-4B96-9FA0-59AC34A0B50F.jpeg

Jilly

Staff member
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I found them on line today and thought that this what you were talking about.....

Jenny

Angel Diva
@bsskier - Didn't remember that I took a picture of the back of the tube - it shows the ingredients.

As for my first foray out since hanging this thing - it went well. I was weeding under a bush in the shadiest corner of our yard and normally I'd be swatting and I wasn't bothered this time. I'm waiting to be sure it's really due to this thing, because we did have a few very cold nights just before we hung it, so I'm not sure we're really in full season yet to attribute all success to it. But I am quite hopeful at this point.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Jenny. I’ve placed my order the Spartan mosquito eradicates and look forward to testing them out over the summer.

Jenny

Angel Diva
All right, I’m ready to call this a success. We were at a neighbor's yesterday, having a small, socially distant evening visit and my legs are chewed! Have not had a problem with the little buggers in our yard, at all.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I purchased these and the original 2 are still hanging. I think they are cutting down on the number of I see, but there's no eradication, they're just supposed to fly to the (sugar) water instead of biting me.

On the same topic, but classified as just weird Jurassic-type goings on, the Florida Keys will release 750 million GMO mosquitoes into the universe in 2021-2022. The purpose is to cut down on city/county spraying insecticides (common in Florida) to control all sorts of nasty skeeters round these parts. Just another day in paradise.

Jenny

Angel Diva
More proof this is working - we hung out with the neighbors across the street last Wednesday for a driveway happy hour. They are out of range of our eradicator. I didn’t even think about mosquitos beforehand, and swatted a few while we were talking, but clearly missed a bunch, as this is now what my left leg looks like.

8F99255C-FAA8-49A0-849F-59A2179F01FE.jpeg
Had to go to the doc for oral steroids because the itching was so bad I couldn’t sleep. As a bonus got an antibiotic, too, since several were getting infected because I could NOT keep my hands off them. (The ankle isn’t as swollen as it looks in the pic, the angle is weird.)

The doctor actually counted them. I may have set a record! 40 spots on the left leg, only 15 on the right.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
More proof this is working - we hung out with the neighbors across the street last Wednesday for a driveway happy hour. They are out of range of our eradicator. I didn’t even think about mosquitos beforehand, and swatted a few while we were talking, but clearly missed a bunch, as this is now what my left leg looks like.

View attachment 13484
Had to go to the doc for oral steroids because the itching was so bad I couldn’t sleep. As a bonus got an antibiotic, too, since several were getting infected because I could NOT keep my hands off them. (The ankle isn’t as swollen as it looks in the pic, the angle is weird.)

The doctor actually counted them. I may have set a record! 40 spots on the left leg, only 15 on the right.

Whoa!!! Yikes!!! You must be really sweet, for the mosquitos to have bitten you so many times!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Whoa!!! Yikes!!! You must be really sweet, for the mosquitos to have bitten you so many times!
They've always loved me. One year at camp I had to get meds because my ankles were so swollen from them and I was starting to get red streaks like blood poisoning emanating from the worst of them.

There is no good reason for a mosquito. Bats and purple martins can just learn to eat something else.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have bad reactions to bug bites too. My go-to is Sea Breeze ... the astringent, not the cocktail, though some of each might be a better approach.

I saturate cotton with Sea Breeze and rub it on the bites for probably a minute. Lots of bites, i just pour it in my hand and rub it in. Sometimes I've taken a hot bath first to open the pores some, then apply Sea Breeze. The itching usually dissipates within a very few minutes. Sometimes it takes only one application, other times I have to apply it once or twice a day for 2 or 3 days.

A woman I worked with about 30 years ago told me about Sea Breeze. It has been in my cabinet ever since.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'd forgotten about Sea-Breeze! Prior to the doctor visit I had used a 1% OTC hydrocortisone cream, a prescription steroid cream, calamine lotion with a anesthetic additive, baking soda paste, and a hot spoon pressed up against them (which was supposed to break up the protein that causes the reaction - can you tell I consulted the internet?). Warm just made everything itch more, the cold packs worked the best.

Everything is a lot less red and swollen today, thankfully.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is no good reason for a mosquito. Bats and purple martins can just learn to eat something else.
Even bats don't have such a good name this year. They really need to up their consumption of mosquitos if they want to get back in favor.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am allergic to the bites of many bugs (severe swelling and occaisional nausea, but no anaphylaxis). Benadryl is what I use when bitten by a known allergenic insect but it also works when I've just had multiple irritating bites. One dose usually solves the itching problem.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. Just. Wow.

View attachment 13484

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly