• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Peloton or Echelon?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the additional information about the different groups! I probably wouldn't have noticed the (slightly but crucially) different sets of rules at a glance.

Agreed I had only joined the main group and the Peloton Women’s page to see how they worked. At least everything has been pretty up eat and positive so far, but I’ve only scratched the surface I’m sure.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
@gingerjess have you come to any decisions, or still pondering like me?? :smile:

Still considering, but I think I might order a Schwinn IC4.

I don't think I want to spend what would be needed for the "full Peloton experience"—I really love my in-person spin classes and fully expect to go back to them once things reopen. I think I'd feel a little foolish for spending $2500 on a bike if I only end up using it for (hypothetically) the next six months to a year.

The Echelon looks really nice but because it's designed for one specific app, I worry about what happens if they go under. I work in software and don't like the idea of something so expensive being "bricked" (this applies to the Peloton bike too, of course).

The Schwinn is a perfectly nice bike on its own without any app, and does sync with a number of other apps, including Peloton. Also, it looks like a digital Peloton subscription is quite a bit cheaper than either a Peloton subscription that's attached to one of their bikes or the Echelon subscription. There is a six week wait right now ordering from Schwinn but that's life.

Now I just need to place an order! I'm feeling very hesitant about pulling the trigger, mostly because of all the expenses associated with moving that have already come this month, plus a few more on their way.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Still considering, but I think I might order a Schwinn IC4.

I don't think I want to spend what would be needed for the "full Peloton experience"—I really love my in-person spin classes and fully expect to go back to them once things reopen. I think I'd feel a little foolish for spending $2500 on a bike if I only end up using it for (hypothetically) the next six months to a year.

The Echelon looks really nice but because it's designed for one specific app, I worry about what happens if they go under. I work in software and don't like the idea of something so expensive being "bricked" (this applies to the Peloton bike too, of course).

The Schwinn is a perfectly nice bike on its own without any app, and does sync with a number of other apps, including Peloton. Also, it looks like a digital Peloton subscription is quite a bit cheaper than either a Peloton subscription that's attached to one of their bikes or the Echelon subscription. There is a six week wait right now ordering from Schwinn but that's life.

Now I just need to place an order! I'm feeling very hesitant about pulling the trigger, mostly because of all the expenses associated with moving that have already come this month, plus a few more on their way.

Oh no, I haven’t even looked at Schwinn, should I add another contender?? Lol I do agree on being worried about bikes that are pretty much useless if their respective companies flounder.. I thought I read something about Peloton trying to sue Echelon for some of their features being a copy of theirs, but not sure how much water that holds or if it’s current. A friend of mine looooooves SoulCycle and just bought their new bike, but I’m super wary of such a new model for them outside of the studio and what if it doesn’t work out? The concept of SoulCycle does sound really fun to me though.. I guess I feel like Peloton is the least risky in this way because they have such a crazy following that is only growing now. Of course they need to get their pedal issues under control and get the service back up. Lots of unhappy customers unable to get things fixed right now due to Covid.

What will happen when people can go back to a gym remains to be seen as you also mentioned. I would actually be fine never going to an actual gym, I love the convenience of having equipment at home. There are some predictions I was reading yesterday that gyms are going to have a hard time getting people back in person with so many investing in home equipment now.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Lol I do agree on being worried about bikes that are pretty much useless if their respective companies flounder.. I thought I read something about Peloton trying to sue Echelon for some of their features being a copy of theirs, but not sure how much water that holds or if it’s current.

Maybe you were thinking of Flywheel? I think they actually shut down their service as a result, although Peloton set up a deal where Flywheel members could trade in their bikes for Pelotons.

The concept of SoulCycle does sound really fun to me though..

It really is! The local studio I was going to does something very similar with "rhythm rides" where the instructor builds a playlist and the whole hour is choreographed to the beat of the music. I love it. It sounds like there are at least a few Peloton instructors who do something similar.

I love the convenience of having equipment at home.

Haha, I guess I'm spoiled by living in the city—the studio is just a 10 minute walk from the new apartment (and my partner is not a morning person, so it's not a big deal for me to steal away for an hour in the morning a few days a week).

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe you were thinking of Flywheel? I think they actually shut down their service as a result, although Peloton set up a deal where Flywheel members could trade in their bikes for Pelotons.

It really is! The local studio I was going to does something very similar with "rhythm rides" where the instructor builds a playlist and the whole hour is choreographed to the beat of the music. I love it. It sounds like there are at least a few Peloton instructors who do something similar.

Haha, I guess I'm spoiled by living in the city—the studio is just a 10 minute walk from the new apartment (and my partner is not a morning person, so it's not a big deal for me to steal away for an hour in the morning a few days a week).

No it sounds like Peloton and Echelon are currently locked in some type of legal battle.. Echelon seems like pretty big competition with their price differential.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...faces-new-threats-to-its-patents-from-echelon

Haha yeah that would be easier, I have to drive to any gym and that is ample opportunity to come up with excuses not to go.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@Robyn how tall are you? Do you have any issues with the handlebars not adjusting fore/aft? That is something you can get on the Echelon Ex5. I was reading some ladies complaining about reaching the handlebars if you’re under 5’5” on the Peloton. I’m 5’4” but have pretty long legs and arms with a short torso. So unsure if that would be problematic to fit well or not. I might also go to a local store and see if they can fit me so I can get on one and see how it feels, assuming they are doing it right now with Covid. Just curious how jt feels for you if you are on the shorter side as well.. Some people complained about back pain because of this and that was more what caught my attention. I tweaked my back last year and skied that way most of the season which was less than ideal some days to say the least. Obviously not this exact issue (I don’t even know what caused it), but I definitely don’t want to cause any back unhappiness either now that I’ve gone through it! @ski diva do you have any issues with this on the Ex3?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm 5'6" and I don't have issues. There is a Peloton Shortie Tribe (don't get me started on the word tribe) that you might join to ask those questions.

I actually saw that group and tried to join today, but if they are true to what the page says they won’t let you in without at least a delivery date for your bike and a screen name from the leaderboard.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually saw that group and tried to join today, but if they are true to what the page says they won’t let you in without at least a delivery date for your bike and a screen name from the leaderboard.

Oy. On another note, a woman posted today that they orgasm on longer rides. There's over 900 comments in less than an hour. :rotf:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oy. On another note, a woman posted today that they orgasm on longer rides. There's over 900 comments in less than an hour. :rotf:

She must be riding her bike differently than I am. :rolleyes:

Echelon has a Facebook group, too, though I think you need to have either ordered your bike or received one to participate. People seem pretty good on it -- enthusiastic and not crazy.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I saw this and I was dying at the comments!!! Hilarious! I was actually going to mention it here, but you beat me to it because I was stuck in a Zoom meeting until now lol.

I really like the women's group, I've been reading a bunch as things come up in my feed and the community is very entertaining, helpful, and supportive. There are sooooooo many offshoots of groups based on different interests and such too, I also joined one that emphasizes yoga with riding to see what that entailed because that's definitely me. Curious if there are enough skier ladies to form a group if I end up going the Peloton route. There are a bunch of mom groups for example, which I can't relate to, but would love if there were people to do group rides with who were ski fanatics and cross training like me. There is a general New England group, but doesn't seem as active as others.

I did join a Echelon group as well, but I haven't been able to find offshoots as easily, if they exist, to be able to see if there is a women's only group for example.

Reactions: RJ*

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I did join a Echelon group as well, but I haven't been able to find offshoots as easily, if they exist, to be able to see if there is a women's only group for example.

I don't know of any. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly