• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I want new skis! Advice please...

MoreSkiing

Certified Ski Diva
I grew up skiing in the Northeast. At 57 Now I live down south and ski out west, and hope to ski more these upcoming seasons even a month or so, pending Covid of course. Renting I think would be to cost prohibitive. I’m thinking this time of year, in the middle of a pandemic I might be able to get a really good deal. I ski aggressive, I could ski diamonds, double diamonds, I love steps, will do some Moguls and like trees, however skiing with women in ski clubs from the south most of them are blue scare so I have a hard time finding people to ski with. So I have backed off a little bit. Wondering what skis I should buy I’ve heard a lot about B black pearls? I skied with V Kenza last year. I think I ski more old-school I can do tight turns plus the long wide ones as well. Then bindings????? I haven’t owned my own skis in decades

marzNC

Angel Diva
I grew up skiing in the Northeast. At 57 Now I live down south and ski out west, and hope to ski more these upcoming seasons even a month or so,
Hello there! Welcome! Where in the south. I'm a transplanted New Yorker who has been in North Carolina since the 1970s. Started skiing a lot more in the last decade after my daughter became an intermediate skier after learning at Massanutten. Alta is my favorite out west. I've made friends with several Divas with similar interests for trips out west in recent years. I became a solid advanced skier after age 55.

Helps a lot to know your stats. I'm petite so if you aren't then my experience is less likely to be useful.

What do you know about demo days?

MoreSkiing

Certified Ski Diva
Hello there! Welcome! Where in the south. I'm a transplanted New Yorker who has been in North Carolina since the 1970s. Started skiing a lot more in the last decade after my daughter became an intermediate skier after learning at Massanutten. Alta is my favorite out west. I've made friends with several Divas with similar interests for trips out west in recent years. I became a solid advanced skier after age 55.

Helps a lot to know your stats. I'm petite so if you aren't then my experience is less likely to be useful.

What do you know about demo days?
Thank you so much for your response! I am almost 57 years old. Lived Connecticut, skied all over Vermont, Massachusetts, CT etc. I now live near Charleston SC. I visited Masanutten last Christmas time...I especially enjoyed your response about the part about a group of divas with similar interests getting together for trips out west. You are so fortunate. I would love that!!! It’s been awhile since I’ve done that—- usually ski club trips. I’ve done some research about Kenza’s, black pearls, Santa Anna. Not sure what skis bindings to get or where. Hopefully will have time to research that soon. I’m 5’9. And honestly menopause, 3 months post eye surgery sluggishness last January, and covid-19 xtra weight has made me nearly 10 lbs more than 5 years ago —-142. !! Lol....
I’m thinking rather than demo days perhaps take advantage of August and covid oerhsps good pricing.
Tricia More

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ve done some research about Kenza’s, black pearls, Santa Anna. Not sure what skis bindings to get or where. Hopefully will have time to research that soon. I’m 5’9.
So 5'9" and around 140 lbs. Are you mainly planning to use the skis out west? What skis and lengths have you used in the past 4-5 years?

Then there is the question of boots. Have you read the Gearipedia thread about boot fitting?

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

Fair to say that for someone who plans to fly to ski more often than not, owning well fitted boots is far more important than skis. In fact, there are some advantages to planning on renting demo skis and not having to deal with a ski bag/box when traveling. It's pretty much always a compromise when depending on one pair of skis. Skis good for deep powder aren't as much fun when it hasn't snowed for a couple weeks, even out west on soft snow. Conversely, mid-fat skis that are good for soft bumps and trees take a bit more work when the snow is up to your knees.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I now live near Charleston SC. I visited Masanutten last Christmas time
Pretty soon you should see the Getting To Know You section. If you start a self-introduction thread with "SC" in the title, it will be easier for other Divas in the southeast to notice. There are a few of us who live in NC or SC, often with connections to NY or New England.

Did you ski at Massanutten? I have assorted reasons that I've been driving past Wintergreen from Raleigh for about 15 years to stay at Mnut for "local" ski trips.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@MoreSkiing - I would get something that's labeled as an all-mountain ski, something that will do everything pretty well, but may not "wow" in any specific arena. Look for something in the 85-95 width, maybe up to 100 if you feel like you seek out powder and spend a good amount of time in soft snow. Pretty much every brand is going to have 1 or 2 skis that fit this description. Smaller brands will have one ski that covers this "type", and larger brands may have two...one slightly geared towards skiing groomers, and the other slightly more soft-snow oriented.

You mentioned the Black Pearl which definitely fits this category. Other skis that may suit your needs are the Blizzard Sheeva 9, Nordica Santa Ana (93 or 88), Volkl Kenja, Volkl Secret, Head Kore (93 or 99), Stockli Stormrider 88, etc, etc.

I would suggest reading as many reviews as you can and start to narrow down skis that catch your attention. When reading reviews always keep in mind who the reviewer is...are they paid to write the review? Are they of similar weight/height as you are? What size are they reviewing? Are they a similar skier to you (aggressive and wants to ski bumps, trees, etc)? All of these things will help you weigh the review as helpful or not....e.g. if you are reading a review from a 200 lb, 6'5" male racer...you probably shouldn't hold his opinion too high.

MoreSkiing

Certified Ski Diva
So 5'9" and around 140 lbs. Are you mainly planning to use the skis out west? What skis and lengths have you used in the past 4-5 years?

Then there is the question of boots. Have you read the Gearipedia thread about boot fitting?

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

Fair to say that for someone who plans to fly to ski more often than not, owning well fitted boots is far more important than skis. In fact, there are some advantages to planning on renting demo skis and not having to deal with a ski bag/box when traveling. It's pretty much always a compromise when depending on one pair of skis. Skis good for deep powder aren't as much fun when it hasn't snowed for a couple weeks, even out west on soft snow. Conversely, mid-fat skis that are good for soft bumps and trees take a bit more work when the snow is up to your knees.
@MoreSkiing - I would get something that's labeled as an all-mountain ski, something that will do everything pretty well, but may not "wow" in any specific arena. Look for something in the 85-95 width, maybe up to 100 if you feel like you seek out powder and spend a good amount of time in soft snow. Pretty much every brand is going to have 1 or 2 skis that fit this description. Smaller brands will have one ski that covers this "type", and larger brands may have two...one slightly geared towards skiing groomers, and the other slightly more soft-snow oriented.

You mentioned the Black Pearl which definitely fits this category. Other skis that may suit your needs are the Blizzard Sheeva 9, Nordica Santa Ana (93 or 88), Volkl Kenja, Volkl Secret, Head Kore (93 or 99), Stockli Stormrider 88, etc, etc.

I would suggest reading as many reviews as you can and start to narrow down skis that catch your attention. When reading reviews always keep in mind who the reviewer is...are they paid to write the review? Are they of similar weight/height as you are? What size are they reviewing? Are they a similar skier to you (aggressive and wants to ski bumps, trees, etc)? All of these things will help you weigh the review as helpful or not....e.g. if you are reading a review from a 200 lb, 6'5" male racer...you probably shouldn't hold his opinion too high.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been reading up on those skis and more. I demo’d boots last year at winter park and they were the best boots ever worn in my life so last summer bought them. I skied Kenja and really liked them. I realize different skis for different conditions and never thought I’d own skis, rather rent the latest greatest however my wish is to go for a few weeks at least, And so my thought renting for that long would be cost prohibitive.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been reading up on those skis and more. I demo’d boots last year at winter park and they were the best boots ever worn in my life so last summer bought them. I skied Kenja and really liked them. I realize different skis for different conditions and never thought I’d own skis, rather rent the latest greatest however my wish is to go for a few weeks at least, And so my thought renting for that long would be cost prohibitive.

Hi, since you liked Kenja' I'd suggest stay with them or another Volkl. Usually if you like 1 company ski you'll enjoy the rest. the 2020 Kenja is 88 under foot- that will work in all conditions :-)

Check around ski shops some do seasonal rentals price isn't too horrible and you can swap out skis and usually they'll deduct the price of the rental from the purchase price if you buy.
Hope you can to come to a diva event- lots of fun and life long friends to ski with

marzNC

Angel Diva
I realize different skis for different conditions and never thought I’d own skis, rather rent the latest greatest however my wish is to go for a few weeks at least, And so my thought renting for that long would be cost prohibitive.
Agree that for 2-3 weeks, might as well buy a pair of all-mountain skis for general use. I did that after the first trip out west when I demo'd candidates. Then I bought a top contender during the summer for a great price.

@nopoleskier is well worth listening to in terms of suggestions of what model to jump on. She's one of the Divas who has joined me for trips out west in recent years.

While a season rental makes sense for someone who lives in ski country, that's not really worthwhile in the southeast. Good for kids who are still growing though. I didn't buy skis for my daughter until she was a solid intermediate. But we took the effort to drive up to the mid-Atlantic to visit with friends and get gear from a ski swap in the fall.

MoreSkiing

Certified Ski Diva
So I bought new skis!!! I'm hopeful and faith that the ski season will happen with snow! I decided on 2021 Blizzard Black Pearls 88 with Marker Griffon 13 ID bindings and got Scott Team Ski Poles. Now onto a hard case with wheels, maybe a slightly used good deal out there for the case :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly