• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what's going to happen next season?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No restrooms = No skiing

Booting up in the parking lot
Putting on and removing ski pants in the parking lot
Removing boots in the parking lot and putting on ice cold shoes

I'm not sure how much of ^^^ I'm willing to do.

MissySki

Angel Diva
No restrooms = No skiing

Not sure what kind of car you have, but I’ve had luck even in my Sonata with using the passenger side seat to get ready, boots and all. Get out and put on pants, get back in (have heated seats turned up) get boots on (push the seat as far back as it goes, or turn and do up your boots with your legs sticking outside if you need to, butt’s still warm on hot seats!), finish getting ready and walk in. On the cold shoes, I honestly always feel like anything besides my ski boots feel “warm” and comfortable when changing, even at my car.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If anyone is like me, once I get to the "village" area or ride one chair/gondola, I need to stop and use the bathroom. ALWAYS. Ask any divas who have skied with me.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could deal with having to boot up at the car, though it is not my preferred method and I've never actually done it, but I could not see not having access to a bathroom all day. Even if I were to only ski in state at Wachusett that is still a 90 minute drive (it could be shorter but I refuse to drive on 128 to access route 2 during morning rush hour--so I go a different way), so at some point during the day I'd need the restroom. Of course with so many people still likely to be working from home, "rush hour" on 128 may not be so bad.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No restrooms = No skiing

Unless it's absolutely frigid, I'll bet you can get used to booting up in the car. I have a heated boot bag, a hatchback station wagon, and I get fully dressed for skiing before I leave the house. When I don't feel like going through the whole lodge routine or I'm tailgating with friends, I put half of an old yoga mat down to keep my feet off the snow while I don/doff my boots, and I sometimes have some hot chocolate in a thermos just because it's nice. It's also a good idea to think about organizing your stuff before you leave the house; fiddling with pockets on your jacket to stow things in the cold is a bummer. But if you do a little organizing beforehand and the weather isn't too hideous, it's totally doable. At the end of the day, I usually change into warm socks and a pair of Crocs; no frozen shoes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I could deal with having to boot up at the car, though it is not my preferred method and I've never actually done it, but I could not see not having access to a bathroom all day. Even if I were to only ski in state at Wachusett that is still a 90 minute drive (it could be shorter but I refuse to drive on 128 to access route 2 during morning rush hour--so I go a different way), so at some point during the day I'd need the restroom. Of course with so many people still likely to be working from home, "rush hour" on 128 may not be so bad.

I really don't think there wouldn't be bathrooms at any ski resort. If they didn't want people inside for that I assume they'd do porta potties or something. While I can usually got he whole ski day without a bathroom break, it would freak me out if there were none available just in case..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmm I wonder why.. maybe the combination of cold and exercise.
Yes definitely the cold. Plus, I've always been like that so normal for me. Usually three potty stops while skiing for the day. If not, I'm not drinking enough water so prone to bladder infections. This is not a menopause thing (for me).... nothing new....... but could be rather inconvenient if no bathrooms available...

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really don't think there wouldn't be bathrooms at any ski resort. If they didn't want people inside for that I assume they'd do porta potties or something. While I can usually got he whole ski day without a bathroom break, it would freak me out if there were none available just in case..
Using the indoor restrooms with good ventilation seems a lot better to me than a porta-potty.

Haven't seen anything for destination resorts that are currently open for summer activities about closing off access to restrooms.

Supermarkets haven't closed off their restrooms.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Using the indoor restrooms with good ventilation seems a lot better to me than a porta-potty.

Haven't seen anything for destination resorts that are currently open for summer activities about closing off access to restrooms.

Supermarkets haven't closed off their restrooms.

I was just imagining if it became an issue for say people trying to congregate inside to get out of the cold etc. Ot if they had to supplement the inside restrooms due to capacity limits inside etc.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't imagine them not having restrooms either. And if things are so bad that they can't provide a reasonably safe way to use a restroom, I should just stay home.

I have a Subaru Crosstrek. I don't know if I could get my boots on while seated in a car. I usually have to be "over" the boot. But I could never get them off in a car unless I crawl in the back, contort myself and risk busting out a window!

And I can't drive in ski pants. I have to wear a hard ACL brace and cannot drive with it on, so I always have to dress on-site.

Other than restrooms, it's all small stuff. But my bigger picture is ... if I'm skiing, I'm taking lessons. If I'm taking lessons, I have to practice. So I have to be out there 2 or 3 days a week. Too many small things and it can add up to a whole lot of BS to go through every other day. The commute-to-ski got old last season. I wasn't planning to live that way this season. Of course, this stay-at-home and safer-at-home has given a whole new meaning to something getting "old"!

Christy

Angel Diva
Booting up in the car is the norm here. I didn't know everyone didn't do this until I went to Diva West Tahoe. The only time I boot up in the lodge is at Sun Valley and it feels like such a luxury. I do see the challenge if you wear a brace out or you live in a very cold climate. Otherwise there's not much to it.

Public restrooms don't scare me much anymore. It's true the risk isn't clear, but when we think about the risks we know--sustained talking indoors with others, for example--zipping in and out of a restroom with a thorough hand washing doesn't seem too bad.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Booting up in the car is the norm here.
You must be talking about Stevens. Nobody boots up in their car at Crystal. They pull out carpet and folding chairs and create make-shift dressing rooms right in the parking lot! It was the first time I had seen that. I was so amused that I took a picture of it.

I think booting-up is just what you get used to. At Copper, it felt as if everybody boots up in the parking lot -- maybe because you hop on a shuttle and people don't want to haul a bag on the shuttle. At Loveland, where you walk up, it's a mix. For this season -- and probably every one hereafter -- I do have to figure out something more efficient for me. Hauling a bag that's big enough for boots, pants, helmet, and brace is also a pain. Maybe I need a new bag.

I'm not expecting operations to be all that different mid-week at Loveland this season. At Copper, well, using the shuttles might not be the best idea. I may have to go early and pay for parking so I can walk up instead. The total cost of parking for a few visits will be way less than the cost of developing Covid.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get some rubber cat tracks, they make walking in ski boots more comfortable/easier on weird surfaces.

it’s actually more my banged up and damaged feet. I can’t wear the boots for too long before my left foot goes numb from a Morton’s neuroma. But if necessary the cat tracks are a good idea. Thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
it’s actually more my banged up and damaged feet. I can’t wear the boots for too long before my left foot goes numb from a Morton’s neuroma. But if necessary the cat tracks are a good idea. Thanks!

Ahh gotcha, that’s more of a problem! Is it better if they aren’t buckled tight? When I had painful boots I would walk from the car with pretty much just my strap fastened and everything else completely loose. Then buckle up at a seat outside somewhere closer to the lift if possible.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh gotcha, that’s more of a problem! Is it better if they aren’t buckled tight? When I had painful boots I would walk from the car with pretty much just my strap fastened and everything else completely loose. Then buckle up at a seat outside somewhere closer to the lift if possible.

It’s unforgiving pressure from each side of the boat compressing the foot inward. I have the boots adjusted at least once and usually more a season. My foot doctor said he sees the issue most in ski boots because they are cold unyielding plastic and on road bikers because they are clipped in to the pedal and the side pressure does not give, either. It’s just my world. Usually I would loosen the boot when I was inside or take it off when I went in late morning for a bathroom break. Who knows for this year. Who knows anything about this year!

Christy

Angel Diva
You must be talking about Stevens. Nobody boots up in their car at Crystal. They pull out carpet and folding chairs and create make-shift dressing rooms right in the parking lot! It was the first time I had seen that. I was so amused that I took a picture of it.

I think booting-up is just what you get used to. At Copper, it felt as if everybody boots up in the parking lot -- maybe because you hop on a shuttle and people don't want to haul a bag on the shuttle. At Loveland, where you walk up, it's a mix. For this season -- and probably every one hereafter -- I do have to figure out something more efficient for me. Hauling a bag that's big enough for boots, pants, helmet, and brace is also a pain. Maybe I need a new bag.

I'm not expecting operations to be all that different mid-week at Loveland this season. At Copper, well, using the shuttles might not be the best idea. I may have to go early and pay for parking so I can walk up instead. The total cost of parking for a few visits will be way less than the cost of developing Covid.

Lol I don't think I've ever seen that. Or maybe I've seen little carpets? Mostly it's just people trying not to bang their doors into the car next to them as everyone crams into their gear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly