• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
It's my favorite color, but I particularly love the rudbeckia that I'd never heard of before EEK!\

My thrill of the day was picking my first standard size tomato of the year for a tomato sandwich. The grapes tomatoes were great, but this is even better! :dance:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Oh my, I am in awe of all the beautiful gardens that Divas grow! I have some talents, I believe, but I've come to accept that gardening is NOT one of them! Luckily the main garden section to the front of my house (that passers-by can actually see) is adequate, and so far my hostas have been safe from the deer. But my big plans for a butterfly garden near my shed (the sunniest spot) is a big flop. Everything I planted has been eaten by the groundhog. And I mean everything. They even ate the milkweed, which I had thought was poisonous to all except Monarch caterpillars. Sob.

Fortunately my friend has a wonderful garden, full of milkweed and other stuff, so I'm hopeful we'll have Monarch sightings again this year. Last year we were able to watch the caterpillars (Monarch caterpillars are the most beautiful) and even watched the transformation of one into a butterfly.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh my, I am in awe of all the beautiful gardens that Divas grow! I have some talents, I believe, but I've come to accept that gardening is NOT one of them! Luckily the main garden section to the front of my house (that passers-by can actually see) is adequate, and so far my hostas have been safe from the deer. But my big plans for a butterfly garden near my shed (the sunniest spot) is a big flop. Everything I planted has been eaten by the groundhog. And I mean everything. They even ate the milkweed, which I had thought was poisonous to all except Monarch caterpillars. Sob.

Fortunately my friend has a wonderful garden, full of milkweed and other stuff, so I'm hopeful we'll have Monarch sightings again this year. Last year we were able to watch the caterpillars (Monarch caterpillars are the most beautiful) and even watched the transformation of one into a butterfly.
Bummer! Our groundhog hasn’t come back, I don’t think, so the dried fox urine I’m spending my hard-earned money on must be working, right?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Aha, is that the secret! Maybe next year... On the plus side re gardening, though I can take no credit for this at all, I have a bumper crop of wild strawberries right in front of my house. They're a pain to pick but oh so good!

Christy

Angel Diva
That's a 5 or 6 inch strip of dirt between my back fence and the alley pavement that used to collect weeds. I made it a bit of a project. I didn't want to spend any money on it in case an errant garbage truck wheel ran over it but I've been transplanting some of the more vigorous plants in my yard there, to see what would survive with no care from me. The answer is, Shasta daisies and mint, though there's a couple other individual flowers like calendula and a California poppy or two that hang on. There's a rental next to me and behind me and I've started putting extra plants into their alley spaces as well.

rsz_20200630_190139-01.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
Aha, is that the secret! Maybe next year... On the plus side re gardening, though I can take no credit for this at all, I have a bumper crop of wild strawberries right in front of my house. They're a pain to pick but oh so good!
Guess not. Husband texted today to say that it's back.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I am in love with everyones garden here <3 I grew cherry tomatoes last summer and I'm looking forward to doing it again. For me it's currently winter so not much to show. I did germinate a batch of cacti from seed at the end of my summer though - but they haven't grown a whole lot, I'm just hoping they don't die over winter!!

20200512_090259.jpg
20200602_180931.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ordered some sonic spikes as step two in Groundhog Day. We'll see. Supposed to drive them away by making vibrations every 5 seconds or so. DH's mom says she’s used them and they worked, but this kind of thing always makes me feel like I’m falling for the snake oil man's smooth pitch.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Ordered some sonic spikes as step two in Groundhog Day. We'll see. Supposed to drive them away by making vibrations every 5 seconds or so. DH's mom says she’s used them and they worked, but this kind of thing always makes me feel like I’m falling for the snake oil man's smooth pitch.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested in how this works.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Will do. Package says it can take a couple of weeks, so we’ll see. In the meantime, I added a couple more plants to the mix.

This one's in an area that I plan to fill with blue and yellow flowering plants. First occupant is a dwarf hummingbird mint that I just found yesterday. One of the spikes is to the right of it.
B5B482EA-1596-4C64-A139-0619C0FD3E8D.jpeg

I also picked up another of the new rudbeckia I already planted, as well as a couple of a shorter Shasta daisy than I already had, too. Inspired by @Christy's alley planting, decided not to wait. I think this will look nice when everything's had a couple of years to settle in and get bigger It was all empty at the beginning of this season.
D218F489-1F9E-4EA9-B824-E0B4BDD8BC0A.jpeg

I still have a large new area on the other end of this bed to fill. Getting some baptisia from a friend today, as well as some more of a different agastache than the yellow one. Will probably raid her garden for other things, too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, one week in and have seen no more groundhog activity, and DH says the moles have moved out of the garden and out into the lawn, lol. The spikes supposedly have a 45' radius, so maybe they're fleeing the area.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think I ever posted my garden pictures when the orange daylilies were in bloom. I just looked back a bunch of pages and they weren't there. So here they are.
Well. All the files are too large. I guess that's why I didn't post them. It takes time to reduce them. Maybe later.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, I am in love with everyones garden here <3 I grew cherry tomatoes last summer and I'm looking forward to doing it again. For me it's currently winter so not much to show. I did germinate a batch of cacti from seed at the end of my summer though - but they haven't grown a whole lot, I'm just hoping they don't die over winter!!

View attachment 13129
View attachment 13130

Those baby cacti are the most adorable things ever!

newboots

Angel Diva
A couple of photos. Hope they are right side up!

It appears they will not be right side up. :doh:
First: Pulmonaria, with the pink flowers that turn blue!

Second: a riot of lupines.

Third: vegetable garden and chickens

Attachments

• 2E9AFF49-A0F1-4908-886C-23B0A4D55044.jpeg
    2E9AFF49-A0F1-4908-886C-23B0A4D55044.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CDB6C5B9-5BD9-434C-8E8E-07EC14F170F0.jpeg
    CDB6C5B9-5BD9-434C-8E8E-07EC14F170F0.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 79E56435-97F4-4E29-B5B5-7986BE6A1A52.jpeg
    79E56435-97F4-4E29-B5B5-7986BE6A1A52.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5

Christy

Angel Diva
Well darn. I put more time and effort into my garden this year than any other and have more tomato plants than ever. But most now most have powdery mildew, one has some nasty kind of wilt, and the last has something that is making the plant, branch by branch, turn brown and die. Baking soda and water seems to have temporarily made the mildew disappear but it's coming back. Boo. I think all of this means I have to get rid of the soil they are planted in, too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
A couple of photos. Hope they are right side up!

It appears they will not be right side up. :doh:
First: Pulmonaria, with the pink flowers that turn blue!

Second: a riot of lupines.

Third: vegetable garden and chickens
Oh, I wish I could grow lupines! I keep trying, and all they do is die.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly