• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

newboots

Angel Diva
It's not time for much here, yet. Although I can report that my mystery bulbs turn out to be globe allium, many more than last year! In wildflower news, we have trout lily, pulmonaria, and rue anemone blooming, all delightful.

My perennials are coming up, a healthy showing of lupines, liatris peeking up, centaurea montana, and phlox among them. None are close to blooming.

Getting ready to plant in the garden, but our last frost date is Memorial Day. It was so warm this weekend that the greenhouse, which opened with a limit of 5 people inside at a time, was swamped. It was so great to walk around a greenhouse and buy herbs and vegetable starts!4EE1CD51-63D3-4356-87A1-2E8E961595ED.jpeg
Anemones in the pasture.
And I forgot the daffodils! And violets all over the lawn, purple and white.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The late season azaleas are blooming in my front yard this week. They are called Conversation Piece. Can get different color flowers on the same bush. The flowers are big, almost four inches!
Those look like hibiscus.

newboots

Angel Diva
Those look like hibiscus.

I'm unaware of any hibiscus that look like this! Tell me more!

These are tiny, spring, ephemeral, I think, with unusual leaves that wrap around the emerging plant and then open into a really pretty sort of heart shape. I identified them on a wildflower site. They disappear later in the spring.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that I'm obsessed, but I do love watching the cycle of life provided by my butterfly plants.
I have never been this close to seeing the butterfly metamorphosis - I was checking about every hour as the Chrysalis had turned "black" ....

So interesting to originally see the "caterpillar" legs hanging at the top of the chrysalis - something I've never seen - must have been there just after making the Chrysalis.

Nonetheless, days later a very dainty butterfly later emerged and gracefully flew away :smile:

legs.jpgrefined.jpg

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
This is certainly true in my garden. We have terrible clay soil where I haven't amended it, and it's a struggle to get anything to grow...
except the weeds!

FB_IMG_1588820493754.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Tomatoes are snug as bugs. For others who grow tomatoes in northerly latitudes – – what do you do to help your tomatoes out? Any favorite varieties?

20200513_121649.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
@Christy -- why do you cover the tomato plants, and how long do you keep them covered?

Warmth, so they aren't too unhappy on our cooler spring days. It's essentially a mini greenhouse. You put it on when you plant starts, around Mother's Day, and take it off the first or second week in June.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The daffodils are done, but the Celandine poppies are out now.

So pretty! The flower reminds me of hypericum (St. John's wort).

It's essentially a mini greenhouse.

That's what I thought. In Portland, the one time I grew tomatoes, I started late in the season with a large plant so I didn't have to worry about the cooler temps.

I'm thinking about planting a couple this year. I want a variety that has a short time to maturity, so I'll probably go with something that produces smaller fruit.

@Kimmyt, do you have any recommendations for tomatoes to grow in Denver? I may need to grow them in pots. I'm having some work done on my sprinkler system and may need to keep it out of harm's way for the next month.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Kimmyt, do you have any recommendations for tomatoes to grow in Denver? I may need to grow them in pots. I'm having some work done on my sprinkler system and may need to keep it out of harm's way for the next month.

I have had good results with Cherokee Purple for slicers, Sungold and Juliet for cherry, and Amish Paste for sauce tomatos. Of those varieties, Cherokee Purple and Juliet are probably the more compact of the bunch and might do well in a container (I would guess, I haven't grown tomatos in containers since I've been out here though maybe @Robyn has some input here). The paste tomatos and the sungold are super high producers and become quite viny so probably would be best in ground, although if the pot is big enough and you have a big cage it might work in a container.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Living on the edge - planted annuals today and it's before Memorial Day. Only supposed to be a low of 48 in the next 10 days though, so it felt safe.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Living on the edge - planted annuals today and it's before Memorial Day. Only supposed to be a low of 48 in the next 10 days though, so it felt safe.
I put most of mine out too. Just needed a little more time and I would have finished.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I need to find a spot for the leftovers. We expanded some areas this year (and last) so I actually need to rearrange some things and then determine where the empty spots are.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just put in my tomatos and peppers and hot weather veg in today. Early on during this pandemic I had ordered some grow bags with the intention of planting potatos, but all the potatos got backordered and so now I have three big grow bags and nothing to put in them so I'm thinking I might get some more veggies, maybe some that I haven't grown before just to see what happens. Anyone suggest anything fun? I have a bunch of stuff right now, 6 tomatos, 3 peppers, cantelopes, zuchini, squash, butternut, cucumbers, peas and all the assortment of cool weather stuff (beets, radish, lettuce, chard, kale, cabbage, broccoli, mustard greens, fennel etc,).

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Tomatoes are snug as bugs. For others who grow tomatoes in northerly latitudes – – what do you do to help your tomatoes out? Any favorite varieties?

View attachment 12937
This made me smile . We put up great big shady sheets to stop ours getting too hot a couple of weeks ago . We will leave it there all season and see how it goes ( it lets a lot of light through but stops the brutal sun , we hope ) . Out local tomatoes ( Marmande) are massive beefsteak types but we like all different kinds which don’t necessarily tolerate the strong sun . We are even growing wild Peruvian toms with the intention of giving them to friends in Andorra to grow ....they don’t put tomatoes out until July !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly