• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski essentials is selling off their demo fleet

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The sleeper in that group that I would grab in a heartbeat are the Kastle FX96 women's.

But lately, with not much great fresh snow, I am loving more and more skis that are 80mm and under, so I've got my eye on a few of those :becky:
Have you been on the Elan Ripstick 88? Plus I don't like demo bindings and know nothing about attack 2 11 w GW. No new snow in Tahoe in almost a month so pushing back my timeshare week until march 14....

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies!

I am not exactly sure what happened. I had an intense week of lessons but nothing over the top that I couldn’t handle. It’s normal for me to get knee pain and swelling after skiing but this time it didn’t go away. My lessons ended last Friday, I skied with Jenny and Jim, then skied Saturday fine. Then suddenly I couldn’t put weight on my right leg and couldn’t straighten it. Xray shows no fractures. Still waiting to get an MRI. Initial diagnosis is injury/tearing of the sartorius attachment at the knee from overuse and treatment is to rest 6-8 weeks....I have no problem ending my ski season now but not being able to start golfing is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you been on the Elan Ripstick 88? Plus I don't like demo bindings and know nothing about attack 2 11 w GW. No new snow in Tahoe in almost a month so pushing back my timeshare week until march 14....
Yes. I was not a fan of it, but part of that I think is the bindings are mounted very far forward on those skis, and I don't care for skis that are center mounted like that. The Aattack 11 GW is a fine binding, don't let that dissuade you at all.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes. I was not a fan of it, but part of that I think is the bindings are mounted very far forward on those skis, and I don't care for skis that are center mounted like that. The Aattack 11 GW is a fine binding, don't let that dissuade you at all.
Yeah we may like different skis so was wondering how they compare to SA 93 or sheeva 9 ( the two recent skis I demoed). Also k2 Mindbenders ( too much ski for me in the bumps of Taos). Thx for info on bindings

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One of the great benefits of demo bindings is the ability to switch skis with friends! It is so much fun to take a few runs on a different ski and check it out.
As long as your not hiking with the demo skis!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah we may like different skis so was wondering how they compare to SA 93 or sheeva 9 ( the two recent skis I demoed). Also k2 Mindbenders ( too much ski for me in the bumps of Taos). Thx for info on bindings
To me, they are nothing like either of those skis. Maybe due to the mount point, but I felt like they just wanted to pivot, pivot, pivot, which would make them a good choice in moguls I suppose. They also didn't have the stability of either of those two skis. Again, could be the mount point, which I couldn't move back because my BSL is 263, so as short as a demo binding can go.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I will never hike! I initially took up skiing because they drag you up the hill!
Careful what you say! I said that too, and then I did the hike to Hunziker Bowl. Twice. Admittedly, many people wouldn't call it a hike, but I wasn't being delivered there in a chair, so it was a hike!

Since I said I wouldn't do bumps, trees, or hike, and now I've voluntarily done all three (heck, and PAID for the experience), I'm being VERY careful to not say I won't hurl myself off a cornice!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
To me, they are nothing like either of those skis. Maybe due to the mount point, but I felt like they just wanted to pivot, pivot, pivot, which would make them a good choice in moguls I suppose. They also didn't have the stability of either of those two skis. Again, could be the mount point, which I couldn't move back because my BSL is 263, so as short as a demo binding can go.
Ok thanks. Sounds like the SA 93 or Sheeva 9 is a perfect choice for me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hiking to Kachina mattered!
Just to be clear, we didn't hike to Kachina peak in early Feb. We did the short hike up to the Highline and went on skis along the ridge towards Kachina. Getting to the top of Kachina peak would've taken at least another hour of hiking for our group!

I agree with you that demo bindings are too heavy for skis that I decide to buy. I paid a little extra to change out the demo bindings for Look bindings when I bought the Stormrider 85 skis from Le Ski Mastery a few years ago.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC I didn't know what it was called that we hiked to !
But we did take a chair to Kachina Peak on the Sunday, right?

I was the SLOWEST in the group for sure ! But the oldest !!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC I didn't know what it was called that we hiked to !
But we did take a chair to Kachina Peak on the Sunday, right?

I was the SLOWEST in the group for sure ! But the oldest !!!!
I don't know that we skied a chute, did we @marzNC ?
Yep, we skied the easiest route down Kachina peak after riding the Kachina chair on Sunday afternoon. We took the advice of the instructor to do it while it was open, in case the chair didn't run again once the snowstorm came later in the week.

As for skiing a chute, we didn't ski one with our Ski Week instructor. Where we went after the hike was an open area between trees. I think of a chute as narrower and often has rocks on both sides, like Upper Stauffenberg or the chutes to the right when riding up Lift 8 at Taos.

Taos is one of the places where I've used my Stormrider 85s in relatively deep powder in recent years, meaning over 8 inches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly