• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Chairlift Etiquette

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loving this thread! I'll add that only one person at a time from the "single" line should board a chair, and only when the liftie signals it's their turn.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Loving this thread! I'll add that only one person at a time from the "single" line should board a chair, and only when the liftie signals it's their turn.

At my mountain it’s up to you to self regulate in the singles line for the most part. The lifties are focused on getting the others rows into order and then the singles place themselves into the queue whenever there is space available to venture in.

kiki

Angel Diva
At my mountain it’s up to you to self regulate in the singles line for the most part. The lifties are focused on getting the others rows into order and then the singles place themselves into the queue whenever there is space available to venture in.
At my mountain some of the lines have two singles lines, one on left and one on right. If there are multiple empty spots we do try to fill them all from the singles line.

MissySki

Angel Diva
At my mountain some of the lines have two singles lines, one on left and one on right. If there are multiple empty spots we do try to fill them all from the singles line.

Same! Usually quite well tracked by the skiers in each singles line as far as which side’s turn it is if there is only room for 1 etc.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
Smoking. Drinking. Pot. Throwing beer cans from the gondola.

Swearing in front of kids.

All of these. I can be a bit of a potty mouth, but certainly not in front of kids.

The littering I really don't get. Part of the reason I took up skiing is that I love nature and the outdoors, so it was something to do in the winter. Why would anyone despoil that by throwing cans around like an idiot?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Use of fragrance when you're planning on riding a gondola. Even with the windows open one is basically forced to inhale the fragrance. Fragrance is an irritant to many with lung diseases such as asthma. For some even a few minutes of exposure could be life threatening.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smoking, definitely.
Fortunately for those of us who ski in Summit County, Colorado smoking, cigarette or pot, is banned on chairlifts. If caught there is a fine, used to be $70.
Because our ski areas are on National Forest land smoking pot is illegal. During the week it's rare to smell any of these things on lifts. Don't know about weekends though.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate it when people pull down the bar and don't space themselves out correctly on chairs that have separators on the bar, so one side gets squashed (always my side) because some dude (it's always a dude) has put the separator between his legs, rather than between him and the person next to him.

mustski

Angel Diva
Don’t run over my skis with your skis or snowboard in the lift line. Also don’t be weird about sharing a chair with people you don’t know. Fill the chairs!

I had 2 people INTENTIONALLY walk on my skis last week. One guy was pointing out that it's no big deal and the second fellow dropped his pole and was impatient. Even though I was picking it up for him, I was not quick enough, and he started to walk across my skis! I told him to get off!

Fortunately for those of us who ski in Summit County, Colorado smoking, cigarette or pot, is banned on chairlifts. If caught there is a fine, used to be $70.
Because our ski areas are on National Forest land smoking pot is illegal. During the week it's rare to smell any of these things on lifts. Don't know about weekends though.

Same deal in SoCal which is why @Littlesonique discovered it at the tree line. They don't smoke it on the lifts, they slide into the trees - but barely because we don't have much snow there right now.

I would institute a safety patrol whose SOLE responsibility would be to pull passes from A$$hats who think they can ski as quickly as they want, wherever they want, regardless of skill level.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having business calls on the cell phone!

And ditto on riding with the bar up. One person airlifted off this year is one too many IMHO and we are at or beyond that.

awww I always sell a house on the lift when on Diva trips... I do try to NOT do business when skiing and have ridden alone in the gondola to do phone work and am very apologetic if I have to call when on the lift.

newboots

Angel Diva
Why would anyone despoil that by throwing cans around like an idiot?

IdIiocy? Obnoxious Personality Disorder? Narcissism? Budding criminal?

Last edited by a moderator:

newboots

Angel Diva

I have family members and their accompanying pals who smoke pot and drink beer, on the lift or gondola. They are very good skiers, but I can't help but think that that incident of running off the trail into the trees, or the twisted knee, might be due to skiing under the influence. At the speed we are traveling without a surrounding 2,000 vehicle, this makes no sense to me. Extended adolescence?

newboots

Angel Diva
awww I always sell a house on the lift when on Diva trips... I do try to NOT do business when skiing and have ridden alone in the gondola to do phone work and am very apologetic if I have to call when on the lift.

Are Diva trips your good luck charm? :thumbsup:

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Planting poles right in between my skis as we are getting off the chairlift. No joke, that happened. This person planted his pole right in between my skis, I tripped over it, fell, and hit my head on the chair seat. That's why we wear helmets, right?

newboots

Angel Diva
Planting poles right in between my skis as we are getting off the chairlift. No joke, that happened. This person planted his pole right in between my skis, I tripped over it, fell, and hit my head on the chair seat. That's why we wear helmets, right?

OMG

How awful! Did he stop? Help? Apologize? Or just ski away like a &$!’*^%£+# ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna