• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tree wells are scary!

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ve posted this before, but it made a believer out of me.

A training exercise that turned into a real tree well rescue.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow!!! That was a small tree around the base too, not one I would’ve been as suspicious of! This is why it’s so important to have a buddy in trees, and to actually keep each other in sight. I always bring a whistle to ski with in the west too and clip it to my jacket close to my mouth, though with how tightly he was wedged in there, I wonder if he would’ve been able to get to it. That’s your best bet to attract attention in this situation though as you could hear how muffled his screams were.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
That is absolutely terrifying. I fell in one once but not upside down, only sideways. My friend was just ahead of me (in close earshot though not in sight) and with much patience and effort, I got myself upright and out. It was pretty stressful, I must say, but I was not in danger of suffocating.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have yet to use it, but the idea of the person behind making a constant sound, like singing, makes a lot of sense. 90% of the time when I teach, my students loose track of their buddy that is behind them. I was that buddy one time, not in a lesson, and had a very close call. Super unpleasant memory.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have yet to use it, but the idea of the person behind making a constant sound, like singing, makes a lot of sense. 90% of the time when I teach, my students loose track of their buddy that is behind them. I was that buddy one time, not in a lesson, and had a very close call. Super unpleasant memory.

What is the best way to keep track of the person behind you, anything besides sound? I always try to stop often when I’m in front and look back, but I can see how that might now always catch the emergency situation we are trying to avoid. When I’m in back it’s easier to keep an eye on the front person, and try to stick close in general. It’s definitely a different challenge for the front buddy to stay as engaged in an effective way.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki I think the idea of the one behind making a constant sound is a good, if mildly annoying, one. If the sound ends, then the one in front knows to look up immediately. An avalanche transceiver would not be a bad idea on both, but uphill hiking is always a challenge and time is of the essence.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I think the idea of the one behind making a constant sound is a good, if mildly annoying, one. If the sound ends, then the one in front knows to look up immediately. An avalanche transceiver would not be a bad idea on both, but uphill hiking is always a challenge and time is of the essence.

I wore my avalanche beacon for the first time inbounds at diva west. I was then the, likely annoying, person advocating for others to start thinking about doing the same. It would be great know that we could potentially help each other within the group skiing together if needed versus waiting for patrol in these situations since time is of the essence!

I will definitely be thinking about sounds and such that could be used as you suggested as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Okay, I thought this was essentially an issue for out west. But then I was looking at something else and happened on this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NortheastSkiology/permalink/493537677976317/

Yikes! I guess I'll put off my thoughts of backcountry.

Though it’s more rare in the east given the trees we have and less snowfall, it absolutely does happen here still. I’ve heard a number of stories about this over the years, especially in northern Vermont areas both in and out of bounds.

newboots

Angel Diva
I snowshoe in the woods. Might be wise to keep this up and keep learning to ski on groomed trails!

There is something particularly terrifying about being buried alive, isn't there?

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Though it’s more rare in the east given the trees we have and less snowfall, it absolutely does happen here still. I’ve heard a number of stories about this over the years, especially in northern Vermont areas both in and out of bounds.

I've been caught in tree wells a couple of times skiing BC in the east--one time I got snow in my throat., which was scary. So it can be an issue here. That said, I never felt like I was in serious danger, but it was a big pain and took a lot of energy to free myself; something you don't want to waist in the BC.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been caught in tree wells a couple of times skiing BC in the east--one time I got snow in my throat., which was scary. So it can be an issue here. That said, I never felt like I was in serious danger, but it was a big pain and took a lot of energy to free myself; something you don't want to waist in the BC.

Snow in the throat does sound scary! I’ve read that this is how many people end up suffocating in avalanches etc., the snow turns to a block of ice if you don’t get it cleared out. Did you go in head first?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly