• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

It's a 6-Tummy Day!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is all about the neck gaiter layers. Single digits warrant 2, below zero (have taught all day in 25 below zero) I wear 3. Only worn my super puffy mountaineering pants under my teaching uniform once. Looked ridiculous....everyone in the locker room took photos. I usually wear double puffy jackets. Under my shell all of December and January. I hate overheating more than being cold though....

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is all about the neck gaiter layers. Single digits warrant 2, below zero (have taught all day in 25 below zero) I wear 3. Only worn my super puffy mountaineering pants under my teaching uniform once. Looked ridiculous....everyone in the locker room took photos. I usually wear double puffy jackets. Under my shell all of December and January. I hate overheating more than being cold though....
Me too. I don't like being cold. I wear three neck gaiters plus a head band that goes over my ears when it's below zero F. My helmet gets pretty tight. One of those neck gaiters is a balaclava with a thick fleece neck gaiter. The only skin exposed is my nose. One instructor in our ski school uses KT kinesiology tape over his nose to cut down the wind chill on that skin. I've thought of adding that too so no skin is exposed at all.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki how are those Astis mitts on the cold days? I’ve been debating these.

I used them last season and they were warm! This year I haven’t worn them yet. Have skied a lot of warmish days, and I also just got a pair of Hestra extreme mitts that I tested out this weekend in negative temperatures. I can say that those are fantastic!!! I didn’t wear hand warmers all weekend, which is something that never happens, and I was comfortable. It also showed me how utterly worn out my old Mercury Mitts are because they weren’t keeping me warm at all without hand warmers and liners (they lost all of their loft).

I plan to get my Astis back out after diva west. They are so pretty, I think I’ve been protecting them a bit too much and need to actually use them more . :crazy: I rode the chairlift with someone who had a pair on Sunday, she said she’s worn them every ski day for the past 6 years. They still look fabulous! I’ll update when I start wearing them more!

elemmac

Angel Diva
@MissySki how are those Astis mitts on the cold days? I’ve been debating these.
I find them super warm. I normally have to wear a thin liner with them because my hand end up sweating, then they get cold. With the liner it keeps my hands dryer by wicking the sweat away.

I didn’t wear hand warmers all weekend, which is something that never happens, and I was comfortable.
:eek:

MissySki

Angel Diva

Crazy right?!? And it was below 0 to start Saturday. I also found out Sunday that a mitten can actually be too warm and I had to take them off in between runs on Lost Princess. In hindsight it was definitely too warm for them that day, but usually I don’t have that issue EVER outside of rare spring days! Lol They are packed for diva west, but I’m bringing a lighter backup as well!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Crazy right?!? And it was below 0 to start Saturday. I also found out Sunday that a mitten can actually be too warm and I had to take them off in between runs on Lost Princess. In hindsight it was definitely too warm for them that day, but usually I don’t have that issue EVER outside of rare spring days! Lol They are packed for diva west, but I’m bringing a lighter backup as well!
That was impressive!! I was finally comfy that day skiing beautiful powder and Lost Princess with you.

Today was -3 when I got up, between 0 and -2 on the way to the mountain, teens to low 20s for a high. No wind which is key.

Bottom: Odlo Blackcomb 3/4 base pants, Marmot Variant Hybrid Capri, insulated Patagonia Powder Bowl pants
Top: Uniqlo heat tech tank bra top, 200 weight Smartwool long sleeve, Smartwool vest, Patagonia Nano 1/4 zip, The North Face Point it Down jacket
Feet: Smartwool ultralight socks, boot heaters
Hands: Black Diamond Mercury Mitts, hand warmers, thumbs pulled in on lift rides
Face/neck - Facesaver, Skida Tour
Head - Skida Nordic hat, helmet with vents shut, hood up on TNF down jacket.

I was surprisingly comfortable! Cannot wait for my Chaval mitt exchange to arrive - so hopeful.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That was impressive!! I was finally comfy that day skiing beautiful powder and Lost Princess with you.

Today was -3 when I got up, between 0 and -2 on the way to the mountain, teens to low 20s for a high. No wind which is key.

Bottom: Odlo Blackcomb 3/4 base pants, Marmot Variant Hybrid Capri, insulated Patagonia Powder Bowl pants
Top: Uniqlo heat tech tank bra top, 200 weight Smartwool long sleeve, Smartwool vest, Patagonia Nano 1/4 zip, The North Face Point it Down jacket
Feet: Smartwool ultralight socks, boot heaters
Hands: Black Diamond Mercury Mitts, hand warmers, thumbs pulled in on lift rides
Face/neck - Facesaver, Skida Tour
Head - Skida Nordic hat, helmet with vents shut, hood up on TNF down jacket.

I was surprisingly comfortable! Cannot wait for my Chaval mitt exchange to arrive - so hopeful.

We have been lucky with the lack of wind, will be a big mitten test when it’s cold and super windy!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm down to zero layers because I can hardly zip my ski pants!

I am familiar with this sentiment! Working on losing some of the excess after the holidays, which (after Thanksgiving) start on December 9 with Mr. Blizzard’s birthday and don’t end until all the extra cookies are thrown away in January.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
I have never skied colder than -20c /-4F (Lillehammer, Norway - 1994) and then I had base layer, sweatshirt, fleece jacket and a snowsuit. I also had a down vest to use on top of the snow suit, but that wasn't needed. And after a few hours of skiing, the sweatshirt went as well.

As I remember it, my head and nose felt the most cold (it was before helmets and I only wore a knitted head band).

Funny enough - now when it's around 40F here, I'm sooooooo cold all the time due to the humidity.
As soon as it drops below freezing point, I can walk my my jacket open and no mittens without being cold. As long as there is no wind.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
I am familiar with this sentiment! Working on losing some of the excess after the holidays, which (after Thanksgiving) start on December 9 with Mr. Blizzard’s birthday and don’t end until all the extra cookies are thrown away in January.

That was me last year......... my ski pants had snap closure, and every time i bent down they would snap open. After a short time, I didn't bother with the snaps but just relied on the zipper and suspenders........

This year I have lost about 35 lbs and was looking forward to fitting in my pants (who was I kidding). Luckily I decided to try them on........ OMG - I could almost fit in just one of the legs and I actually looked like one of those clown costumes with a hoola hoop in the waist when I got the suspenders up :rotf:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly