• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

It's a 6-Tummy Day!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Today was in the single digits with a wind chill well below zero. So I wore 3 base layers on the top + 3 base layers on the bottom = 6 base layers around the middle. I call that a 6-Tummy Day!

82338041_10157965103827920_335228167457341440_n.jpg

That's my maximum.

Then there's my fleece and insulated jacket on top, and insulated pants on the bottom.

What's your max for base layers?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today was in the single digits with a wind chill well below zero. So I wore 3 base layers on the top + 3 base layers on the bottom = 6 base layers around the middle. I call that a 6-Tummy Day!

View attachment 11871

That's my maximum.

Then there's my fleece and insulated jacket on top, and insulated pants on the bottom.

What's your max for base layers?

Wait, so there is another layer on top before your jacket?? Isn’t that really 7 layers then?? I count mid layers in the mix! Lol

My max is usually 3 on top (including a wool sweater or down sweater mid layer) under an insulated jacket, and 2 on the bottom (cw-x compression capri and then a wool or thick fleece mid layer) under insulated pants. So 5 total under my outermost layer has been my max ever so far.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, so there is another layer on top before your jacket?? Isn’t that really 7 layers then?? I count mid layers in the mix! Lol

My max is usually 3 on top (including a wool sweater or down sweater mid layer) under an insulated jacket, and 2 on the bottom (cw-x compression capri and then a wool or thick fleece mid layer) under insulated pants. So 5 total under my outermost layer has been my max ever so far.

Yes, this is just a base layer count. So after that, on top there's a fleece and then my insulated jacket, and on the bottom, my insulated pants. The base layer count is important, because it dictates the pants I can wear. I have to choose ones I can close over all those layers! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's the most I've ever worn. It was -14.8F in Banff back in 2017. Looks like it was 3 waistbands and 5/6 tops, counting the outermost layer of coat.

Feet - normal smart wool lightweight socks, with toe warmers.
Legs - lightweight Hot Chilly's leggings/tights, polar fleece leggings over that, then my insulated ski pants.
Body - under armor compression top, polar fleece top, North Face Apex/bionic jacket, lightweight down coat, insulated ski coat (lightly, but not just a shell). After lunch I managed to cram in an extremely lightweight down vest, too. And a stick on body warmer - heavenly.
Neck - windproof gaiter, and my stagecoach robber face mask.
Head - lightweight helmet liner type hat and helmet.
Hands - liner mittens with hand warmers in the pocket and outer Swany Toaster mittens. After lunch I added a fleece mitten in between them.

mustski

Angel Diva
Hmm. I am not as brave as you ladies because I would not even consider skiing in below 0 weather. I draw the line at single digits in the positive range. My usual for cold weather - wool base layer, wool blend midlayert, nano puff sweater, lightly insulated jacket. My legs don't get as cold so usually a fleece lined legging and insulated pants work for me. Hand and feet are a whole other problem that I have yet to solve. As for head and face - balaclava and buff or turtle fur neck warmer.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Today at Mount Snow I wore hottronics, boot gloves, hand warmers, glove liners, and Hestra Mittens, wool base layer shirt, Monkey Woman Polartec Fleece Top, down vest, and my insulated ski jacket. On the bottom I wore thick polartec leggings under my insulated ski pants. I had a fleece balaclava, helmet, and jacket hood on. I still heated my boots and mittens up under the hand dryers several times. I had so many layers on I could hardly zip my coat! It was COLD!!!

Jilly

Staff member
I just realized I didn't have my electric mitts on...wow..might not have been -20C..

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It will be below zero when I get to the mountain this morning. Forecast indicates it should rise to the lower teens by 3:00. I skipped yesterday as it was colder and I wasn't on the schedule. Today I have to show up because I'm working, but I don't like this cold and wish I didn't have to go. I've already got lots of layers on as I sit here inside doing my morning reading.

I like the 6-tummy term. It will be a 6-tummy day for me today.

kiki

Angel Diva
Yes, this is just a base layer count. So after that, on top there's a fleece and then my insulated jacket, and on the bottom, my insulated pants. The base layer count is important, because it dictates the pants I can wear. I have to choose ones I can close over all those layers! :rolleyes:
This is the layers i wear when it is a really cold day—3 underlayer too and bottom, lined ski pants, a wool sweater or vest and then ski coat

Sometimes it’s a bit limiting to movement lol!

Jilly

Staff member
Not cheap for sure, but here in the east....worth their weight in gold. Mark's have them on sale, but they only come in Men's sizes. The Medium was too large for my hands....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Not cheap for sure, but here in the east....worth their weight in gold. Mark's have them on sale, but they only come in Men's sizes. The Medium was too large for my hands....
What do they cost at Mark's? We're going to Searchmont in a couple of weeks - maybe I should stop in at the one I. The Sault on my way by (assuming it's still there, of course).

newboots

Angel Diva
There are a number of brands. If you buy Seirus, make sure they are this season. Last season’s got returned by the dozens. I have hand-me-down Hestras that fit wonderfully. Mr. Blizzard just got some Seirus mittens for the coldest days. (Any discretionary income goes to ski equipment. If he weren’t working in the industry, we would be strictly on rice and beans.). The Seirus mittens have a thin glove lining where the heating wires run through.

And Chaval, which have been discussed. There’s an online store called (I think) The Warming Store that carries a wide variety, with ratings and reviews.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore my regular mittens today and started out with three hand warmers in each. One in the thumb pocket, wrapped around my thumb, and the other two loose and sitting directly on top of my fingers. No batteries to mess with, no cords, and the mittens did not cost an arm and a leg. I bought the hand warmers for very little at Costco. My hands stayed very warm, and I even gave away two of those hand warmers to a child in one of my lessons whose hands got cold. So two hand warmers per mitten and my hands never got even a tiny bit cold. The morning temps were below zero. It got up to maybe 12 by 1:00, then started getting colder as the clouds rolled in.

newboots

Angel Diva
Before I got my hand-me-down heated gloves, I wore OR mittens with down gloves for liners. Used hand warmers in them. They were usually enough, but on occasion I used 2 hand warmers and still wasn’t warm enough.

Sigh. It’s a cold weather sport. The heated gloves work well, but it’s an uphill climb when the wind chill is trying to set records atop a big mountain.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wore my regular mittens today and started out with three hand warmers in each. One in the thumb pocket, wrapped around my thumb, and the other two loose and sitting directly on top of my fingers. No batteries to mess with, no cords, and the mittens did not cost an arm and a leg. I bought the hand warmers for very little at Costco. My hands stayed very warm, and I even gave away two of those hand warmers to a child in one of my lessons whose hands got cold. So two hand warmers per mitten and my hands never got even a tiny bit cold. The morning temps were below zero. It got up to maybe 12 by 1:00, then started getting colder as the clouds rolled in.
I’ve never managed to get one jammed into the thumb pocket, but I have definitely added an extra when one wasn’t warm enough.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore my regular mittens today and started out with three hand warmers in each. .

I guess I don't have the coldest hands ever! I use hand warmers religiously, but I've never thought to use two/per mitten. I'll keep that in mind for the next cold snap. I always put the warmers between a liner and the shell. I use different gloves for different temperatures - Black Diamond mitts for the coldest, Hestra gloves for mid, and Burton gloves for warmer. I always use liner gloves too, thin wool for cold, silk for warmer temps, as I don't want bare skin exposed if I have to fix or adjust something. I also always stick toe warmers on my feet (except when it's 40 out.) For legs under ski pants, I have a range of leggings for various temperatures, from lightweight silk, to Lands End Thermaskin, to Kari Traa wool, to LLBean heavy fleece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly