• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Newly resurrected skier looking for guidance

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't equate speed with skiing well. You've got to drop that narrative now and slow down and FEEL things happening beneath your feet. Also, I wouldn't go to a heel lift as that can create even more of a backseat stance. Get a lesson first for sure before you tweak your boots. :tongue: Welcome back to sliding on snow!

newboots

Angel Diva
Maybe the shop where you bought your boots can help you with the tweaks? Often, if you bought the boots there, they will help you tweak it without charge.

When I went to the Suicide Six WOW (Women Only Workshop) (there's one this coming weekend), we had a great instructor who used 5 or 6 different exercises to help us get the feeling of being forward. One, holding (or pretending to hold) a beach ball out in front of us, skiing with no poles. Another, standing on a rise facing uphill, so we needed to lean forward to keep from going backwards. Another, keeping both hands in sight.

All of these were practiced on pretty shallow hills - not steep. The purpose was to help us get the feeling of being forward on the skis (not in the back seat) without getting scared. Our brains (without any help from our intentions) are programmed to be scared when hurtling down a steep hill! Only after we get accustomed to the feeling can we comfortably stay forward on the skis. The magic of it is, we have control when staying forward, but can easily have our skis pulled out from under us if we are in the back seat - no pressure on the steering mechanism!

And we would love to have you join us at Belleayre!

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome back to skiing and welcome to this amazing forum!
I have made a return after 2 decades as well, and have embraced the sport fully. My ability and skills are nowhere near what they used to be. On my second day back, I got caught in a white out and outright froze in the middle of an icy blue trail. As soon as I was able to reach the bottom, I signed up for a lesson. That 2 hour lesson helped me immensely! I will be joining a couple of women's workshops on my next vacation.
I highly recommend a book written by a woman skier, Mermer Blakeslee, "A Conversation with Fear"...
Happy Trails!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't equate speed with skiing well. You've got to drop that narrative now and slow down and FEEL things happening beneath your feet. Also, I wouldn't go to a heel lift as that can create even more of a backseat stance. Get a lesson first for sure before you tweak your boots. :tongue: Welcome back to sliding on snow!
Such amazing advice. I needed to read this tonight. Thank you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up some hideous habits from chasing faster skiers around the mountain, and have spent 5 years trying to ditch those habits. Some of my favorite skiers ski quite slowly, rhythmically, and beautifully :smile: I wish someone had told me from the get go to stop trying to ski so fast. I'm glad it resonated with you.

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
I have made a return after 2 decades as well, and have embraced the sport fully. My ability and skills are nowhere near what they used to be. On my second day back, I got caught in a white out and outright froze in the middle of an icy blue trail. As soon as I was able to reach the bottom, I signed up for a lesson. That 2 hour lesson helped me immensely! I will be joining a couple of women's workshops on my next vacation.
I highly recommend a book written by a woman skier, Mermer Blakeslee, "A Conversation with Fear"...
Happy Trails!
Thanks for the warm welcome! You are not the first to recommend that book- I will have to look into it! I can feel you pain about freezing on a trail- that happened to me a few weeks back on a (very challenging) blue- it was sheer ice that day and super crowded. I became petrified and took forever to get down it. My family was waiting for me at the bottom staring at me like I was nuts haha.
That is brilliant advice, but I do find it hard to ignore that everyone else seems to be whizzing by me. I get so frustrated and can’t understand why I’m having such a hard time. But all of that IS the reason why in need to drop that mantra in my head!!

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the warm welcome! You are not the first to recommend that book- I will have to look into it! I can feel you pain about freezing on a trail- that happened to me a few weeks back on a (very challenging) blue- it was sheer ice that day and super crowded. I became petrified and took forever to get down it. My family was waiting for me at the bottom staring at me like I was nuts haha.

That is brilliant advice, but I do find it hard to ignore that everyone else seems to be whizzing by me. I get so frustrated and can’t understand why I’m having such a hard time. But all of that IS the reason why in need to drop that mantra in my head!!
I just started reading the book “Inner Skiing”which is very relevant to feeling the need to keep up. The voice of our ego keeps us from being present in our own own true selves and keeps us focused on how we should be performing and how we look to others. Very fascinating read so far.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! I don’t think I can make it to Okemo during the weekdays, but I am hoping to make it up to Okemo MLK day weekend- I will read your blog tonight!
Hi! Speaking of Okemo, as an instructor there...Keep in mind that MLK weekend is VERY busy. If you’re planning to do a lesson, reserve it NOW! If you’re going to just ski, I recommend getting there for first chair at 8, and taking a break around 10:30 when the lines get long. Also, I like starting from Jackson Gore instead of the main Clock Tower base. Less hectic!

newboots

Angel Diva
@VTsnowflower - You're giving away all our secrets!

Seriously, skiing at 8 am is the loveliest time to ski. If you can drag the kids out of bed and get there by 7:30, you'll have an hour or two of uncrowded trails and little or no lift lines.

There's a shuttle from the parking lot up to the base lodge at Jackson Gore (and at the main Clock Tower base). Once you're at the entrance, the walking is easy. You can also drop off the equipment and drive back down to the lot, but the shuttle makes the process pretty easy.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Great advice all around. One question - how stiff are your boots? There is often a connection between boots/boot fit and the problem of having trouble getting out of the backseat. If you cannot flex your boot (i.e. drive your knee forward by flexing your ankle), you will keep hitting a wall (the cuff of the boot) which makes your knees bend too much, putting you instantly in the back seat.

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! Speaking of Okemo, as an instructor there...Keep in mind that MLK weekend is VERY busy. If you’re planning to do a lesson, reserve it NOW! If you’re going to just ski, I recommend getting there for first chair at 8, and taking a break around 10:30 when the lines get long. Also, I like starting from Jackson Gore instead of the main Clock Tower base. Less hectic!
Gteatcad
Great advice all around. One question - how stiff are your boots? There is often a connection between boots/boot fit and the problem of having trouble getting out of the backseat. If you cannot flex your boot (i.e. drive your knee forward by flexing your ankle), you will keep hitting a wall (the cuff of the boot) which makes your knees bend too much, putting you instantly in the back seat.
I feel like I can flex my boot? Could it be there may be too much? I am planning on taking them to my fitter this week before taking off this weekend to get their take again.

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Happy Trails!
I had to tell you that I just started this book. Boy, it’s brilliant! I can relate to so many of those reactions! Thank so much for that recommendation! This was the perfect pairing to ‘Inner Skiing’.

saranneblue

Certified Ski Diva
Great Advice! We will be heading up there during school vacation week in Feb, so will keep these tips in mind. I found a great place a mere 5 min away from the mountain. So we can make sure to get there bright and early.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Gteatcad

I feel like I can flex my boot? Could it be there may be too much? I am planning on taking them to my fitter this week before taking off this weekend to get their take again.

Too much flex?? That seems unlikely as a source of backseat skiing but it’s possible. As long as you are standing on your feet (not constantly leaning against the boot cuff) but can flex your ankles when you want to, that sounds good.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had some improvement to heal lift with a pad under the tongue. Have also C shims around the ankles to snuggle things up. "Always" pad rolled me off the chair...

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
I had to tell you that I just started this book. Boy, it’s brilliant! I can relate to so many of those reactions! Thank so much for that recommendation! This was the perfect pairing to ‘Inner Skiing’.
I’m so glad you found the book helpful!!
That book helped me face and deal with other fears I had been harboring, as well.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had similar issues as you with ankle lift and a very good boot fitter put in the C shins on the outside of my liner near the ankle bones, and a Masterfit Eliminator which helps with both the ankle lift as well as keeps my shins connected to the front of my boots. So much more control it’s mind blowing

Christy

Angel Diva
I taken lesson every year near the beginning of the season. I get very rusty in the off-season. Doing drills and getting reminded of certain things sets me on track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly