• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holiday Snobbery!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another stuffing snob here, and in fact my whole family are complete food snobs. It’s great but it turns into a ridiculous amount of work. This year my mom says everyone is to bring a dish. She’s right. We all try to help every year but we end up getting in eachother’s way and my mom does the bulk of it. If I don’t like it I’ll cook my own turkey for New Year! Now I just need to make sure she gives me my orders on time. I’ll do whatever is needed but I’m also going to be really busy at work right up until Christmas. I have this fear that she’ll call me with instructions on 23 December when I’m frantically trying to get the last things sorted out for my kids.

I love Christmas with my family but one year Mr DeeSki and I went to Hawaii and ended up eating spaghetti with tomato sauce for Christmas dinner. It was fantastic. We’d never get away with being that low key with the kids, so may as well embrace the whole extended family chaos.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at a friends house one Thanksgiving. He and his sister were arguing over whode, seemed wonderful to me, piecrust was worst that day! That kind of crazy is way beyond me!

NYC2VT

Certified Ski Diva
we have Thanksgiving at my brother's. they've got 3 kids, my brother is in the fire dept and could be working at some point over every holiday, and my SIL is not a big cook. they've usually done the Whole Foods heat & serve dinner, which was perfectly serviceable, but this year my brother cooked everything himself- including 3 boxes of Stove Top. i was quietly horrified to see the boxes on the counter that morning. my mom brought mashed potatoes and a sweet potato casserole she always makes, and there were lots of good veggies as sides, but even the mashed potatoes didn't taste so great this year. it was quite a disappointing meal overall.

i made a vow to bring a really good stuffing next year, along with my usual dessert or two (full disclosure- i totally overworked my pate brisee this year and so my pumpkin pie was truly good only for the filling)

KBee

Angel Diva
I have to have both the canned cylinder cranberry jelly, PLUS the snob in me has to have the fancy homemade sauce with like, 15 hand squeezed oranges in it. (Thank you to my little sister for the good sauce.) Also, no green bean casserole is allowed in my house.

newboots

Angel Diva
I won't make a casserole with canned soup in it for Thanksgiving. But for Mr. Blizzard, Thanksgiving isn't complete without it!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another stuffing snob here, and in fact my whole family are complete food snobs. It’s great but it turns into a ridiculous amount of work. This year my mom says everyone is to bring a dish. She’s right. We all try to help every year but we end up getting in eachother’s way and my mom does the bulk of it. If I don’t like it I’ll cook my own turkey for New Year! Now I just need to make sure she gives me my orders on time. I’ll do whatever is needed but I’m also going to be really busy at work right up until Christmas. I have this fear that she’ll call me with instructions on 23 December when I’m frantically trying to get the last things sorted out for my kids.

So we all brought a dish. On Saturday morning (21 December) I called my Mom because she hadn’t replied to my email offer to cook various dishes. I was asked to make something from scratch that we always happily eat from a jar. And by happily, I mean even the food snobs. Anyway I bit my tongue and made it. My Mom said it was delicious. My husband said it tasted exactly the same as from a jar. I thought it was fine, except for the slight taint of resentment.

Next year will be different .....:wink::rotf:

MissySki

Angel Diva
So we all brought a dish. On Saturday morning (21 December) I called my Mom because she hadn’t replied to my email offer to cook various dishes. I was asked to make something from scratch that we always happily eat from a jar. And by happily, I mean even the food snobs. Anyway I bit my tongue and made it. My Mom said it was delicious. My husband said it tasted exactly the same as from a jar. I thought it was fine, except for the slight taint of resentment.

Next year will be different .....:wink::rotf:

Sounds like next year you just use the jar and bring it in another container? :rotf::beer:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think both @MissySki and @newboots are right. Next year I’ll say everyone liked what I made this year, but no more than they like the jar, so I’ll bring a jar and make something else. I don’t mind cooking at all. I was just frustrated because the whole point was to take some of the stress off my Mom, who instead of relaxing used the time to do things like make cranberry sauce from scratch - we have never had this before, ever - and was just as stressed as ever on Christmas Day. However, it all melted away when all the grandchildren, like something out of a movie, spontaneously sang Christmas carols after dinner!

NYC2VT

Certified Ski Diva
I have to have both the canned cylinder cranberry jelly, PLUS the snob in me has to have the fancy homemade sauce with like, 15 hand squeezed oranges in it. (Thank you to my little sister for the good sauce.) Also, no green bean casserole is allowed in my house.

I've never had green bean casserole. For Christmas Eve, I made braised short ribs with crispy onions on top, and obviously was just wanting to use the French's crispy onions, but didn't know where to find them in the store. I wandered around until I found them on my own because I refused to ask for help and risk someone thinking I was making green bean casserole :wink:

Soujan

Angel Diva
This year I hosted both Thanksgiving and Christmas at my house. Thanksgiving I had 14 people at my house and on Christmas it was 17 people. I do all of the cooking myself and honestly I prefer it that way. When other people in my family offer to make a dish or make dessert, it's usually not up to my standards and I get really annoyed. Plus I'm stuck with even more leftovers of food I didn't want in the first place. Most people think feeding 17 people is a lot but over the years I've learned how to time my cooking and will based what I make on oven and stovetop time required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly