• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Petite skier looking for help with new skis?

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
Hi! I would love some advice! I've been skiing on volkl attiva lunas 149s since 2009 and am looking for new skis. Checked with several sites and no one recommends the same and its hard to demo where I live so I'm a bit confused. I ski out west & mid-atlantic with a mix of ice hard pack to powder and crud! The lunas chatter at high speed and I also feel like they don't turn quick enough for me or sort of drag..idk I'm wondering if they are. ..maybe a bit too long when going around moguls and ice or maybe it's just the ski or the skier? I'm looking at going shorter and would like to hear some thoughts on that? Head super joy 143, elan delight 146 or bp 88 145? Any advice or other recommendation that I'm missing? (I'm 4'10 100 lbs and ski blues/blacks and like to make short quick turns, not a cruiser)
Thanks so much!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm about your size - maybe a tad heavier. (Advanced skier) Have Super Joys in 143 but actually prefer my Volkl Yumis (147). They don't chatter at speed, seem to handle varied conditions very well, turn easily, carve well, hold an edge well - and are, generally, just great. Have to say, I LOVE them. And I know I'm not the only small Diva who's very happy with her Yumis. Might be worth a try. Make sure to try 2018 model or later as they have metal added which earlier models didn't.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Checked with several sites and no one recommends the same and its hard to demo where I live so I'm a bit confused. I ski out west & mid-atlantic with a mix of ice hard pack to powder and crud!
Welcome! Where in the mid-Atlantic? There are demo days in PA and northern VA coming up in January. My home mountain is Massanutten and the Demo Weekend is Jan. 4-5.

Do you really want skis for both MidA and skiing out west? When I started skiing more regularly so the it was worth investing in good gear, I got relatively narrow all-mountain skis that were 75 underfoot but had a wide tip with rocker. That was about 10 years ago when I was an adventurous intermediate. After working for a few years to become an advanced skier I found it made more sense to have two pairs of skis. I own narrow skis for MidA and northeast skiing and a pair of mid-80s all-mountain skis for trips out west.

I'm 5'0, 111 lbs, advanced but not agressive. What I had for the east is the Head Absolut Joy, 78 underfoot, 148cm. I've used the BP88 @145 out west for a couple days and liked them a lot. However, my current all-mountain skis that I used out west are 159cm, as were my old 2011 Black Pearls. In general I like Blizzard, Head, Nordica, and K2. For me Volkl is too much work although the Yumi is an exception. Note that what works for me may or may not work for you. It's just more info as you make a decision. I'm able to demo and that makes it much easier to make a purchase.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm petite and recommend this ski https://outdoordivas.com/snow/skis/captis-birdie-2019/
I demoed it last year at Loveland and thought is was a great ski on groomers, some powder, bumps and crud. I would have bought it except I already have an narrow waist-ed ski for groomer days.
I don't share the love for the BP's or Volkl skis. My shop recommended the Volkl Secret mainly because it seemed to fit a variety of skiers. It didn't impress me but you might like it since you ski Volkl skis. I demoed it in a 149. I felt like it was skiing me rather than me skiing it.
I'm wondering that since your skis are 10 years old you've out grown them but don't necessarily need to go shorter. BTW, I'm 5'1", 100 lbs and my ski lengths are in the 153-156 range.
I also recommend demoing. Don't demo rental skis though. The options can be limited. Most full service ski shops around here (Colorado) have a good variety of women's skis available for demo.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! I would love some advice! I've been skiing on volkl attiva lunas 149s since 2009 and am looking for new skis. Checked with several sites and no one recommends the same and its hard to demo where I live so I'm a bit confused. I ski out west & mid-atlantic with a mix of ice hard pack to powder and crud! The lunas chatter at high speed and I also feel like they don't turn quick enough for me or sort of drag..idk I'm wondering if they are. ..maybe a bit too long when going around moguls and ice or maybe it's just the ski or the skier? I'm looking at going shorter and would like to hear some thoughts on that? Head super joy 143, elan delight 146 or bp 88 145? Any advice or other recommendation that I'm missing? (I'm 4'10 100 lbs and ski blues/blacks and like to make short quick turns, not a cruiser)
Thanks so much!

Did you like your Lunas overall? I had Lunas so long ago... 142 cm in length, similar era to yours, but much shorter. I was an intermediate skier at the time I had them. I'm 5'1" and 100 lb. Low-advanced skier currently. I love the feel of Volkl skis, so if you felt the same way then def check out the Yumis. I currently have a pair of Yumis (my fatties) and a pair of junior SL skis (Head currently, but I've also had Fischer). The Yumis would be stiffer and damper than your current Lunas for sure.. less carving oriented. I ski in the mid-atlantic also (Poconos... home mountain is Montage).

I think you could get away with those shorter lengths you mentioned, but I also don't think they'd do anything substantial for you. I'm 3 in. taller than you and am about the same weight and I'm just as comfortable on my 147 Yumis as I am my 150 race skis. I think I could pass with a mid 140s ski, but I also think at least at my current level it'd be pushing the bottom spectrum of length. You might be able to get away with a bit less b/c you're shorter but I'd be a wary of low 140 skis.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a heavy weight skier, 5 4",158 lbs, and ski the 161s. I love my Yumis for all the reasons listed above. If you are looking to stay on hard pack, consider something narrower, but if you are looking to venture into some varied snow, they are certainly worth a look.

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
Did you like your Lunas overall? I had Lunas so long ago... 142 cm in length, similar era to yours, but much shorter. I was an intermediate skier at the time I had them. I'm 5'1" and 100 lb. Low-advanced skier currently. I love the feel of Volkl skis, so if you felt the same way then def check out the Yumis. I currently have a pair of Yumis (my fatties) and a pair of junior SL skis (Head currently, but I've also had Fischer). The Yumis would be stiffer and damper than your current Lunas for sure.. less carving oriented. I ski in the mid-atlantic also (Poconos... home mountain is Montage).

I think you could get away with those shorter lengths you mentioned, but I also don't think they'd do anything substantial for you. I'm 3 in. taller than you and am about the same weight and I'm just as comfortable on my 147 Yumis as I am my 150 race skis. I think I could pass with a mid 140s ski, but I also think at least at my current level it'd be pushing the bottom spectrum of length. You might be able to get away with a bit less b/c you're shorter but I'd be a wary of low 140 skis.
Thank you--this is helpful! I liked the lunas except for when trying to maneuver between moguls where I found it hard to get them to turn quick enough and skiing faster ....getting chatter on hard packed ....so maybe the yumis would be great. Btw, I learned to ski at Seven Springs! Do you think the Yumis turn shorter and are they lighter? Thanks so much!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you--this is helpful! I liked the lunas except for when trying to maneuver between moguls where I found it hard to get them to turn quick enough and skiing faster ....getting chatter on hard packed ....so maybe the yumis would be great. Btw, I learned to ski at Seven Springs! Do you think the Yumis turn shorter and are they lighter? Thanks so much!
I learned to ski at Seven Springs too. That year was one of the few times Seven Springs was open at Thanksgiving. I skied Seven Springs a lot in those early years.

BTW, you're going to find a lot of changes in ski technology from 10 years ago.

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
I'm petite and recommend this ski https://outdoordivas.com/snow/skis/captis-birdie-2019/
I demoed it last year at Loveland and thought is was a great ski on groomers, some powder, bumps and crud. I would have bought it except I already have an narrow waist-ed ski for groomer days.
I don't share the love for the BP's or Volkl skis. My shop recommended the Volkl Secret mainly because it seemed to fit a variety of skiers. It didn't impress me but you might like it since you ski Volkl skis. I demoed it in a 149. I felt like it was skiing me rather than me skiing it.
I'm wondering that since your skis are 10 years old you've out grown them but don't necessarily need to go shorter. BTW, I'm 5'1", 100 lbs and my ski lengths are in the 153-156 range.
I also recommend demoing. Don't demo rental skis though. The options can be limited. Most full service ski shops around here (Colorado) have a good variety of women's skis available for demo.
Thanks so much!

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
I'm a heavy weight skier, 5 4",158 lbs, and ski the 161s. I love my Yumis for all the reasons listed above. If you are looking to stay on hard pack, consider something narrower, but if you are looking to venture into some varied snow, they are certainly worth a look.
Thank you!

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
Thanks! I'm definitely checking them out!

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
Thanks! I'm not familiar with these so will take a look. I appreciate your letting me know your range since you close to my height.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I'm about your size - maybe a tad heavier. (Advanced skier) Have Super Joys in 143 but actually prefer my Volkl Yumis (147). They don't chatter at speed, seem to handle varied conditions very well, turn easily, carve well, hold an edge well - and are, generally, just great. Have to say, I LOVE them. And I know I'm not the only small Diva who's very happy with her Yumis. Might be worth a try. Make sure to try 2018 model or later as they have metal added which earlier models didn't.
I agree with SkiBam! I am a petite (5’2”) intermediate skier and I bought the 147cm Völkl Yumi after demoing them last spring. They were so much fun! I liked how quick and responsive the turns were. I also did not experience any chatter like I did with my season rentals.

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
I agree with SkiBam! I am a petite (5’2”) intermediate skier and I bought the 147cm Völkl Yumi after demoing them last spring. They were so much fun! I liked how quick and responsive the turns were. I also did not experience any chatter like I did with my season rentals.
Thank you! This is helpful! Are they easy to maneuver around moguls? That was my other issue with my lunas..I sometimes felt like they weren't quick enough to turn around moguls on steeps. Thanks!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I am getting bindings mounted on my new Birdies Tuesday and will ski in all the fresh snow Arizona is getting!! Looking forward to trying these skis. I purchased the 149 length. Maneuverability in a 90- waist ski was why I went especially short.
@candysuecooper , I am also a smaller woman. 5'2 @95#. I ski mostly skis between 149-157.

candysuecooper

Diva in Training
I am getting bindings mounted on my new Birdies Tuesday and will ski in all the fresh snow Arizona is getting!! Looking forward to trying these skis. I purchased the 149 length. Maneuverability in a 90- waist ski was why I went especially short.
@candysuecooper , I am also a smaller woman. 5'2 @95#. I ski mostly skis between 149-157.
That's exciting! Please let us know what you think! They look awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly