• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Accommodations for Alta

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone,
I will be skiing Deer Valley this season but thinking of going to Alta in February and could use some recommendations for places to stay. I don’t want to rent a car. Is Park City too far?
Thank you,
Jackie

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone,
I will be skiing Deer Valley this season but thinking of going to Alta in February and could use some recommendations for places to stay. I don’t want to rent a car. Is Park City too far?
Thank you,
Jackie
Fair to say I'm completely biased . . . I stay at Alta Lodge. Have been there for a week or more during late season annually for the last 10 years. Have also stayed mid-season a few times. Once at short notice when my ski buddy and I were powder chasing a bit and I ended up changing my flight to catch a powder storm. I like the food, ambiance, and indoor hot pools with a view of High Rustler. For me, not having a TV in the room is a plus. Alta Lodge is modeled on European ski chalets.

Several Divas prefer Goldminer's Daughter including @nopoleskier . The newly rebuilt Snowpine and the Rustler are the most expensive and luxurious. The Peruvian is the farthest from a lift, so either have to walk across the Wildcat parking lot or wait for the Peruvian van.

Pretty sure there is a day bus from Park City for day trips to Alta. It's about an hour drive, assuming the road up to LCC isn't snowy.

I suggest you take a look at the websites for the lodges at Alta. Each has a different vibe. Alta Lodge, GMD, Rustler include breakfast and dinner. The Peruvian includes three meals, but have to return for lunch in the dining room. Meals are optional at the Snowpine. Can have dinner in the Snowpine dining room a la carte or get a free ride to GMD, Alta Lodge (if a seat available), or Snowbird (several resort restaurants).

Although you can book a room online, it can be better to make a phone call to discuss options. Note that there probably aren't many rooms left in February. For Alta Lodge, many regulars book their week for the next season when they check out.

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
When will you be there? I’m looking at the week of February 3. Thank you for the great information!

marzNC

Angel Diva
When will you be there? I’m looking at the week of February 3. Thank you for the great information!
I went ahead and started the MOTH thread for my stay in SLC. It comes in the middle of a trip that starts at Taos and finishes in Steamboat.

Have you heard about "common tables" at the lodges around Alta? That's what makes them good places to stay with traveling solo. Bill and I usually sit at a common table because it's fun to meet new folks. Fair to say that people who stay at a lodge in Alta are all ski nuts at some level. But the conversation is usually not just about skiing.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm one of the people who stay at the Goldminer's Daughter. I've toured around the other lodges at Alta but haven't stayed at any others. Echo what marzNC says that all the lodges have different personalities so it helps to check out each website or tripadvisor reviews to get a sense of what each looks like etc.

GMD is more modestly priced than some but has a great location right at the base of the Collins and Wildcat lifts. It has lovely views from the dining room.
I'd venture to say that all the lodges at Alta are pretty conveniently located, though the Peruvian, as mentioned above, requires a walk or shuttle across the parking lot.
So where you pick comes down to price point and other conveniences/amenities you may like (having television in the room is important to me as I use it to fall asleep!) I don't think you can really go too far wrong though.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi everyone,
Thank you,
Jackie

yes, Park City is too far. And without a car would be hopeless. Best for Little Cottonwood Canyon is to stay in Little Cottonwood Canyon. That way you are there ready to go if the canyon road closes for weather or the traffic is too awful.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If this is a budget trip check out Mid Vale, Sandy, Cotton Wood Heights near the bus lines. Google UTA (Utah Transit Authority) for exact locations of bus stops. BTW, the bus is free if you have an Ikon Pass.

marzNC

Angel Diva
yes, Park City is too far. And without a car would be hopeless. Best for Little Cottonwood Canyon is to stay in Little Cottonwood Canyon. That way you are there ready to go if the canyon road closes for weather or the traffic is too awful.
While I agree that staying in Alta is the most relaxing way to enjoying skiing at Alta, the LCC road isn't closed or clogged with powder hounds that often. The OP usually stays at Deer Valley. I think she'd enjoy any one of the lodges at Alta. What DV and Alta have in common is that they are both for skiers only. But in terms of terrain and vibe, they are quite different even when sticking to the groomers.

The key point is that the OP doesn't want to rent a car. People who live in Park City drive over to ski Alta during late season pretty often if it's been warm or Park City and DV have already closed for the season. It's easy to get timeshare units during late season in Park City so that's one reason people end up staying there. I showed a couple where to go off the Supreme lift one time in April. They were expert skiers who had retired to Park City. They didn't know Alta at all so were a bit nervous to head out a gate. That day, there was plenty of powder off-piste if you knew where to go.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Goldminer's Daughter (GMD) too, it is a bit more modestly priced as compared to other lodges at Alta, it has elevators and also there TVs in rooms, as mentioned above. I stayed in Alta Lodge too, it does have great ambiance, great food, just a touch more upscale in terms of food everything else as compared to GMD. I decided I preferred the lower price point of GMD and I like the elevators, stairs at high altitude are a bit tough, at least first few days. I have stayed at GMD multiple times over the past few years. I will say that if I were going to Alta solo I would most likely stay at Alta Lodge and try to meet people to ski with at joiner's dinner table.

I have toured Rustler and Snowpine. I have to say that Snowpine is really nice after the renovation, great big lockers, very nice common spaces, the rooms are lovely too - I asked to see a room when DH and I were at Snowpine for lunch this Thanksgiving weekend. I am a bit tempted to stay at Snowpine in the future and get a package that does not include food. The Snowpine rate package that includes food is really pricey. The restaurant Snowpine is really good, at least the lunch food was good, but it is not worth the extra $200+/night for room rate IMHO.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I stayed at Alta Lodge solo and really liked it. It has a very mellow, friendly, old world vibe. I booked a bed in the dorm because I was doing a trip on the cheap, but they put me in a solo room because no one else was in the dorm and it would be silly for me to be down there alone. That was nice. The room shared a bathroom with the room next door, but no one was in it so I had it to myself. I ate at the group table and met @marzNC and her friends. I didn’t see the insides of the other places, but they are all right on the hill except one. I was very glad to stay there since it was nice to be able to easily go in for a wardrobe change. I’ll be at DV this weekend. I was going to get a car and stay in SLC and ski LCC and BCC, but I’m now spending the whole time in PC so I don’t have to drive. I like the convenience of being close. You’ll love Alta. It’s so beautiful and the skiing and the vibe is great.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another alta-holic here. I've stayed Alta Lodge still always stop in for lunch even if not staying there. Excellent food/ambiance and cheaper than on mountain. I started staying at GMD when Alta Lodge wouldn't let us stay 2nts- had to stay 3. GMD was happy to have us. Alta Lodge I was on the top floor and 5 flights up and down to the Hot tub, 4 to breakfast, lunch and dinner in ski boots got the best of me. I agree with @Olesya Chornoguz the elevators at GMD won me over too. GMD includes breakfast and Dinner and a huge spread in the afternoon of meats, cheeses, apres ski goodies. The Vibe is similar and GMD does have a "joiners' table too if you ask. Walking out to the Collins lift can't be beat.

No car needed up at Alta and if you have IKON pass (or not) you can ski Snowbird right next door via skiing off the back side thru Mineral bowl or lodges have shuttles that will take you w/a phone call.

We use the alta shuttle right from the Airport, coming and going is about 80$ round trip- can't beat it.
I love Alta because of the lack of people- no snowboards and since most families have a kid on a board and can't go to Alta w/ a board so there are less families/people on the Mt. (at least when I've been there)

Years ago I did stay at a hotel at the bottom of LCC w/ @mustski and GardenMary. I believe there was a bus stop out front. But buses can be crowded and then you are at the mercy of a bus schedule.

I highly recommend ALTA and GMD or Alta Lodge or Rustler/Snowpine. Location Can't be beat!
No car needed! - I hope you love Alta and have a great trip and become an Alta-holic too!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend of mine who worked at GMD opened Snowpine and showed us around. It is absolutely gorgeous with beautiful amenities. Despite all of this, we won’t move from GMD. It’s location, the staff, and returning guests we’ve come to know as friends makes GMD a special place for us. Our annual trip to GMD is one of the highlights of my ski season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly