• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah 2019-20: travel planning, deals, snow conditions

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Is it worth adding the Ikon pass to my life to take advantage of early skiing at Brighton? Currently staring out my (new, Park City life) window and at my skis and just plain giddy....makes the MESS of the cross country move totally worthwhile.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is it worth adding the Ikon pass to my life to take advantage of early skiing at Brighton? Currently staring out my (new, Park City life) window and at my skis and just plain giddy....makes the MESS of the cross country move totally worthwhile.....
Only if you also want to get in a few days at Deer Valley and the other SLC Ikon resorts this season. For a day or two at Brighton before PC opens, can look for discounted day tickets online or at local ski shops, or even Smith's supermarket.

Although with Park City opening soon, I'd say save your money and time for spring skiing in LCC/BCC when there will be 100% open terrain well into late April. Park City usually closes the first weekend of April. Still has snow, but the lower elevation for the base and the decreasing number of travelers means the business decision is to shut down. I've met Park City residents who are expert skiers who made the drive to Alta in April because the conditions were so much better.

marzNC

Angel Diva
SkiUtah has come up with a standard layout for resorts to plug in the basic snow report, trail map, stats, pricing, opening and closing dates, and a marketing description for travelers. All include a link for Dynamic Pricing that goes to a resort's internal website for buying tickets online.

What's interesting is that DV and PC don't give any Walk Up Pricing, but only say Variable. Looking at a few weekend days (12/7, 1/5, 2/15) the range for listed prices for PC is $166-189 that are currently $148 or $172. For DV, it's $159 for 12/7 or 1/5, and $209 for 2/15 (Sat of Pres. Day weekend).

Here are the window prices listed for the SLC ski resorts for 2019-20. Note that DV and PowMow limit the number of day tickets sold, including for Ikon holders. For DV, mainly impacts holiday periods. For PowMow, they can sell out on deep powder days.

Alta $110 - Ikon/MCP
Snowbird $125 - Ikon/MCP
Brighton $85 - Ikon, Boyne Gold, owned by Boyne Resorts
Solitude $125 - Ikon, owned by Alterra
Park City - Epic, owned by Vail Resorts
Deer Valley - Ikon, owned by Alterra
Snowbasin $109 - Epic partner
PowMow $95

Alta info on SkiUtah
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 10.55.11 AM.png

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd say only if you can ski midweek.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The list of multi-day ski camps on the Alta website has expanded. The Alf Engen Ski School has partnered with Alta Lodge for years for all-inclusive 3-5 day camps. Now there are also partnerships with Snowpine and the Alta Peruvian. Check the Alta website or the individual lodge website. I haven't done a camp but have seen camp groups at Alta Lodge since they sit together for breakfast and dinners. There are quite a few students who do the advanced/expert camp annually.

There is also a weekend early season clinic Dec. 14-15 for $500 for which there isn't a lodging package so could stay in the city. Given the quality of the Alta instructors $250 for a full day is not a bad deal.

The Alta webpages for camps is a little confusing since aren't really arranged by ability level. There is a webpage for Adults that are co-ed camps, and a separate webpage for Women's camps. The women's camps are all hosted by Alta Lodge, including the new Women's Skills camp Dec. 12-16. If I didn't have a kid coming home from college that week, I'd consider the Skills camp as a solo traveler.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are the dates for the various ski camps at Alta for 2019-20. The first two seem to be more general, covering both technique and tactics. Partnering with Snowpine and Peruvian is new this season. The descriptions online cover the expected skill level and interest, as well as details for daily schedules. These are all full-day camps with lesson skiing from 9:15am thru about 3:30pm, and sometimes there are evening programs too.

Alta Performance Camp - advanced to expert, co-ed
Alta Lodge: Dec. 4-8, Dec. 8-12, Feb. 9-13, Apr. 3-7
Snowpine: Feb. 23-27

Ski Aces Ski Camp - advanced intermediate thru expert, co-ed
Alta Peruvian: Jan. 26-30, Feb. 9-13

Women’s Skills Camp - intermediate to advanced
Alta Lodge: Dec 12-16

Alta Lodge Powder Tracks - intermediate ready for more ungroomed, co-ed
Alta Lodge: Jan. 5-10

Alta Lodge Womens’ Intermediate Camp - intermediate to advanced
Alta Lodge: Jan. 23-27, March 1-5

Alta Lodge Womens’ Advanced Camp - advanced to expert
Alta Lodge: Jan. 11-15

Alta Breakthrough Camp - intermediate and beyond, co-ed
Alta Lodge: March 8-12

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a new lodging option for Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain that comes with an unusual evening activity. The Compass Rose Lodge in Huntsville has an Observatory. Don't have to be a guest to enjoy the observatory.

https://www.compassroselodge.com/observatory

For a hands-on experience, we host our nightly star tours with telescopes including an 8-inch Meade LX200, generously donated by Dr. John Sohl, professor of Physics and Astronomy at Weber State University. This telescope served for years as one of the University's observatory telescopes and was once used by the Late Dr. Stephen Hawking during a visit to Weber State University.

The Observatory's 16-inch aperture Ritchey-Chretien style telescope is designed with hyperbolic shaped mirrors like the Hubble Space Telescope, which offer an exceptionally flat view of objects avoiding image distortions introduced by many other amateur telescopes. The telescope is perched on a precision-built Paramount mount which provides a great degree of accuracy while tracking celestial objects. With imaging equipment the observatory will excel at capturing colorful images of elusive deep sky objects including nebulae and distant galaxies.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There is a new lodging option for Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain that comes with an unusual evening activity. The Compass Rose Lodge in Huntsville has an Observatory. Don't have to be a guest to enjoy the observatory.

https://www.compassroselodge.com/observatory

For a hands-on experience, we host our nightly star tours with telescopes including an 8-inch Meade LX200, generously donated by Dr. John Sohl, professor of Physics and Astronomy at Weber State University. This telescope served for years as one of the University's observatory telescopes and was once used by the Late Dr. Stephen Hawking during a visit to Weber State University.

The Observatory's 16-inch aperture Ritchey-Chretien style telescope is designed with hyperbolic shaped mirrors like the Hubble Space Telescope, which offer an exceptionally flat view of objects avoiding image distortions introduced by many other amateur telescopes. The telescope is perched on a precision-built Paramount mount which provides a great degree of accuracy while tracking celestial objects. With imaging equipment the observatory will excel at capturing colorful images of elusive deep sky objects including nebulae and distant galaxies.

How cool!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Probably makes no difference to guests this season but Brian Head is being acquired by Mountain Capital Partners aka the Power Pass company led by James Coleman. Mountain Capital is best known for Purgatory and AZ Snowbowl. Power Pass holders get access to Brian Head for 2019-20.

https://www.brianhead.com/mcp/

Mountain Capital Partners to Acquire Brian Head Resort
Utah-based resort joins the largest ski and outdoor collective in the Southwest

" Durango, Colo. – James Coleman, managing partner of Mountain Capital Partners, today announced an acquisition agreement to manage and operate Brian Head Resort in Southern Utah. Mountain Capital Partners currently owns and operates seven ski and bike resorts throughout the Southwest, including Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Brian Head is the second Utah-based ski resort to join the MCP collective, alongside Nordic Valley Ski Resort in Northern Utah.

. . .

MCP announced that Power Pass holders, the flagship product of its season pass family, will enjoy unlimited access to Brian Head for the 2019-2020 winter season. Brian Head guests with a 2019-2020 Unlimited pass will automatically receive unrestricted access to Nordic Valley Ski Resort, Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort and Pajarito Mountain in New Mexico, Hesperus Ski Area (Colorado) and Spider Mountain Bike Park (Texas) and three bonus days (no blackouts) at Purgatory Resort (Colorado) and Arizona Snowbowl. For a limited time, Unlimited pass holders can upgrade to a Power Pass and get unlimited access to all ski areas and Spider Mountain Bike Park for just $150."

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. I knew I'd regret NOT buying the Power Pass this year! First time in several that I have opted out of the Power Pass at Snowbowl. And I have a trip to Brian Head this March booked. I love to take my granddaughter ( 10) up there for a few days. We love being together and sharing slope time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There will be more UTA Ski Bus service for LCC/BCC for the 2019-20 season. One big change is that the lot at the base of LCC will no longer be a bus stop. The supposed "ski racks" have been removed so there is a bit more space for people to stand. I thought those racks on the inside were pretty impractical so that's not much of a loss.

Note that Solitude is charging for parking.

SkiUtah has details about how to ride the UTA Ski Bus. Full service for LCC/BCC begins on Dec. 1, 2019. There is also info about bus service for the other SLC/Ogden ski resorts.

https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/lexi/how-to-ride-the-uta-ski-bus-a

https://cwc.utah.gov/skibus/
"Working together with member jurisdictions, ski resorts, Save Our Canyons, and Wasatch Backcountry Alliance, the Central Wasatch Commission and the Utah Transit Authority are increasing ski bus service for the 2019/2020 ski season to more efficiently serve Utahns and visitors as they travel to recreate at Brighton Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, or Snowbird.

UTA’s Cottonwood Canyon ski bus will be speeding up service and adding more trips to Snowbird, Alta Ski Area, Solitude Mountain Resort, and Brighton Resort. The public can anticipate the following improvements:
  • A 26 percent increase in trips on Route 953 (to Snowbird and Alta Ski Area) thanks to funding provided by the Central Wasatch Commission.
  • A 28 percent increase in trips on Route 972 (to Solitude Mountain Resort and Brighton Resort) to 79 trips per day, up from between 61 and 65 on various days now.
  • Route 972 (to Solitude Mountain Resort and Brighton Resort) will no longer serve the Bingham Junction Station on the TRAX Red Line, due to high traffic congestion which causes delays for ski bus riders. Riders are encouraged to use the Midvale Fort Union Station on the TRAX Blue Line.
  • Route 953 and Route 994 (to Snowbird and Alta Ski Area) will no longer serve the park and ride lot at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon, due to traffic congestion which causes significant delays. Bus riders are encouraged to use the park and ride lot located at 9400 South 2000 East. The Little Cottonwood Canyon Park & Ride lot will now be reserved for people carpooling.
  • To increase efficiency and capacity for more riders, the ski racks will be removed on Routes 953, 972 & 994. Riders are advised to hold their ski gear while riding the bus.
. . ."

Soujan

Angel Diva
Headed to SLC for the first time ever this season. I'll flying there March 21 and staying in Park City. We have the Ikon pass this year. We'll be there for the whole week. Hope to visit Solitude, Brighton and DV. Hoping there will still be lots of snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Headed to SLC for the first time ever this season. I'll flying there March 21 and staying in Park City. We have the Ikon pass this year. We'll be there for the whole week. Hope to visit Solitude, Brighton and DV. Hoping there will still be lots of snow.
Any particular reason Snowbird isn't on your list? There will be plenty of snow left in LCC/BCC for sure in late March. Should be enough at DV too, but if there is a warm spell may only be worth a day to check it out for fun.

We had a good time during a first look at DV last April. Planning to go back during my Feb trip to SLC this season. One of the reasons to change add Ikon last season even though I already had the MCP was to have a chance to ski at DV.

A few trip report posts and pics from April 4, 2019 (Posts 27-30):
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...deer-valley-solitude.23880/page-2#post-388948

Soujan

Angel Diva
Any particular reason Snowbird isn't on your list? There will be plenty of snow left in LCC/BCC for sure in late March. Should be enough at DV too, but if there is a warm spell may only be worth a day to check it out for fun.

We had a good time during a first look at DV last April. Planning to go back during my Feb trip to SLC this season. One of the reasons to change add Ikon last season even though I already had the MCP was to have a chance to ski at DV.

A few trip report posts and pics from April 4, 2019 (Posts 27-30):
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...deer-valley-solitude.23880/page-2#post-388948

We'll be staying at a timeshare in Park City so it really has to do with proximity. When the time comes I guess it will also comb E down to conditions.

Chris W

Certified Ski Diva
Hoping to get back to BCC this year after sporadically visiting once or twice in the past 15 years since having kids. I can't get over the lift ticket increases !

marzNC

Angel Diva
We'll be staying at a timeshare in Park City so it really has to do with proximity. When the time comes I guess it will also comb E down to conditions.
Understand that driving from Park City to LCC/BCC means a day trip. I asked because you mentioned Solitude and Brighton. The drive from PC to Snowbird is actually a few minutes shorter than going to Brighton. I like Brighton, but it's a relatively small mountain that caters mostly to locals. Snowbird has 2500 acres, while Brighton has 1000 acres. Snowbird is a destination resort in every sense. The tram is iconic. There are multiple high-speed lifts. On a day when Mineral Basin is open, well worth going over Brighton or Solitude.

I happen to like Alta better than Snowbird, but that only works if everyone in a group is a skier. The Ikon pass works as a combo Alta/Snowbird pass so possible for a skier to get a tasted of both resorts on the same day when the MB/Sugarloaf gate is open.

In any case, you'll have a good time!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC 1000 acres is gigantic compared to where I usually ski!
:smile:

Both Brighton and Deer Valley have free mountain host tours. I highly recommend doing them. Can always bail after an hour if it doesn't seem worthwhile.

I'm doing a mid-season trip to SLC for the first time since 2015. My friends and I are staying in a little house in SLC for maximum flexibility of where to ski that week. It's been a while since I've skied Utah during mid-season. Looking forward to it. SLC is a great destination for someone with Ikon or MCP.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's a deal that's more for locals than travelers. If a never-ever over age 4 wants to learn to ski or snowboard, Snowbasin is offering a Learn & Earn package that includes three 5-hour lessons, with lift ticket and rental gear, for $899. The kicker is that after the lessons are completed, the new skier/rider gets a season pass. Even has follow up offers for the next two seasons.

Snowbasin has worked with SnowOperating for a while. Hard to know who came up with the idea but I've seen variations at small mountains in the east. But never at a mountain of the caliber of Snowbasin.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.17.38 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna