• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Boots

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really don't wear anything special. Either my knockoff Costco Uggs, which are now a mess b/c of snow/water or running shoes.
I use the same: Costco Ugg knock offs or old running shoes/trail runners. I did pick up a pair of short Khombu's (at Costco) last winter since the 'Costco Uggs' are looking beat up.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had Khombu's for a long time, they were great. These days I wear shearling Merrell Mocs, or hiking boots, or just sneakers. I have Ugg-type boots but rarely wear them.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I don’t wear much beside Keen any more. My toes are so happy because they aren’t being squeezed into tight shoes or boots.

After retirement, it is possible to forget how to dress to be a professional! Sadly, Keens were out of the question (I went to a reception for mental health professionals interested in working in the prison system; I might pick up a bit of per diem work). Then I panicked, afraid I wouldn’t have any knee-high stockings to wear! (I can’t go barefoot inside dress shoes either, poor old feet.). Then standing for two hours in my most comfortable dress shoes - ouch!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I mostly wear a pair of Salomon goretex hiking shoes (probably similar to what Jilly mentioned), or a pair of these North Face Ballard Boots. But mine are brown with green trim.

I’ve been looking for a pair of taller boots that I can wear casually or in deeper snow, but haven’t been sold on anything yet (though the LLBean Duck Boot has been a contender for awhile).

When at the ski condo, I have a pair of furry lined crocs that get a lot of use...to/from ski locker and to/from the pool building.

I’ve considered a pair of those a few times now, but always end up thinking they’ll be too hot if I need to spend anytime indoors with them (i.e. apres ski drinks or food). Do you find they’re too hot ever? Or pretty comfortable?

I don’t wear much beside Keen any more. My toes are so happy because they aren’t being squeezed into tight shoes or boots.

I loooooove Keen for this reason, they’re the only work boots I wear now when I’m on construction sites (part of my day job).

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every time I've been to the snow this winter I've worn a pair of leather vivobareboot boots i have (gobi hi 2.0). They seem to keep the snow out, i have an extremely waterproof pair of sorel boots which are warmer but honestly i don't need anything that warm most of the time :smile:

I don’t wear much beside Keen any more. My toes are so happy because they aren’t being squeezed into tight shoes or boots./QUOTE]

I don't own any footwear by keen but this is the same season I've spent all winter in these vivobareboot boots - many of them have a wider toebox and my toes are SO much happier not being squeezed into tight shoes! I've had way less bunion pain :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’ve considered a pair of those a few times now, but always end up thinking they’ll be too hot if I need to spend anytime indoors with them (i.e. apres ski drinks or food). Do you find they’re too hot ever? Or pretty comfortable?
Yes I have spent both indoors and outdoors in them. They are not too hot (like Uggs are super hot indoors for apres etc) and are very comfortable. You don't feel like you are wearing shoes they are that light. Seriously super light weight so great for traveling where baggage weight is an issue.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would never have picked these out of a lineup, but after a long discussion with the sales guy at the Bean store in Burlington, I tried these on in black:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121...neakers-mid-lace-up&bc=474&feat=474-GN0&csp=f

They are super comfy, water proof, and perfectly warm and cozy. They didn't look like much on the shelf, but I have been so happy with them. I always hated the floppy feeling I got from snow boots, it never felt like they fit well or gave any degree of support. These are a different story, they really fit and feel like a pair of sneakers.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think you'll be fine with whatever you pick. I've had a few different kinds over the years, and they all worked just fine. When I needed new ones I just bought what is on sale at REI. I will say I'm surprised to hear that people like lower profile styles. Don't they get snow in them? I wouldn't consider getting anything that wasn't ankle height. My ski pants cover the tops of my boots and so I don't get snow in them between the car and the slope.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think you'll be fine with whatever you pick. I've had a few different kinds over the years, and they all worked just fine. When I needed new ones I just bought what is on sale at REI. I will say I'm surprised to hear that people like lower profile styles. Don't they get snow in them? I wouldn't consider getting anything that wasn't ankle height. My ski pants cover the tops of my boots and so I don't get snow in them between the car and the slope.

I agree on wanting a taller option as well. Last thing I want is snow in my shoes if I’m hauling stuff to the lodge in a storm. Or after skiing.. last year after a great snow storm I had to shovel a ton of snow around my car after they plowed the lot while we were skiing and I couldn’t get out.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw the cutest pair of winter boots today, Rieker brand (they used to make ski boots), totally unsuited by my area. Sigh.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Yes! I have two pair of LLBean winter boots and I really like them. They are super warm and have great treads. I have the Storm Chaser ankle boots with the side zip, and I just replaced my ancient threadbare Merrell Mocs with the LLBeam Storm Chaser slip-ons. I recommend the Storm Chaser line - high quality, warm, good treads and reasonably priced.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you wear to/from the mountain on your feet?....

My requirements for a winter boot for getting to and from the mountain:

--it must be a pull-on or zip on; I don't have the time nor the patience to mess with laces
--it must fit snug enough for my heel not to lift as I walk; a good snug fit is hard to find in pull-on boots
--it must have good traction, meaning deep tread soles, so it grips securely on ice and snow
--it must be water-proof
--it must be mid-calf, tall enough to not let snow in & short enough to fit easily under my ski pants
--it must have good arch support to help me avoid the return of plantar fasciitis
--it must be affordable

I've found one boot and only one that fits all these requirements. It's a Lands End suede pull-on boot. I look often on eBay for this boot and for others that might fit my needs. I find pairs there frequently, used and in very good condition, for a reasonable price. Land's End for some reason is cheaper than Sorel and Merrell, which come close to making the type of boot I like. I look frequently on eBay, and buy the Land's End boot when a color I like in my size turns up. I have six pair. I worry that one day they will disappear since I think Land's End no longer makes them. I wear these boots year-round for all occasions.

This is not a hiking boot, so if I were going on a long trek outdoors in the snow I wouldn't wear it. A sturdy hiking boot with laces and full leather is better for taking a hike in snowshoes.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Every time I've been to the snow this winter I've worn a pair of leather vivobareboot boots i have (gobi hi 2.0). They seem to keep the snow out, i have an extremely waterproof pair of sorel boots which are warmer but honestly i don't need anything that warm most of the time :smile:

wow! I just went to look at vivobarefoot and they sure do look like an alternative to my beloved Keens! Thanks!

newboots

Angel Diva
I would never have picked these out of a lineup, but after a long discussion with the sales guy at the Bean store in Burlington, I tried these on in black:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121...neakers-mid-lace-up&bc=474&feat=474-GN0&csp=f

They are super comfy, water proof, and perfectly warm and cozy. They didn't look like much on the shelf, but I have been so happy with them. I always hated the floppy feeling I got from snow boots, it never felt like they fit well or gave any degree of support. These are a different story, they really fit and feel like a pair of sneakers.

I think those look terrific!

I saw the cutest pair of winter boots today, Rieker brand (they used to make ski boots), totally unsuited by my area. Sigh.
Reiker makes gorgeous shoes and boots. Leather you could sleep on. Or make baby clothes with. Soft and lovely. I have one pair, which always get compliments.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes! I have two pair of LLBean winter boots and I really like them. They are super warm and have great treads. I have the Storm Chaser ankle boots with the side zip, and I just replaced my ancient threadbare Merrell Mocs with the LLBeam Storm Chaser slip-ons. I recommend the Storm Chaser line - high quality, warm, good treads and reasonably priced.

The zip up storm chaser is one of the several I liked!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

After retirement, it is possible to forget how to dress to be a professional! Sadly, Keens were out of the question (I went to a reception for mental health professionals interested in working in the prison system; I might pick up a bit of per diem work). Then I panicked, afraid I wouldn’t have any knee-high stockings to wear! (I can’t go barefoot inside dress shoes either, poor old feet.). Then standing for two hours in my most comfortable dress shoes - ouch!

@newboots, I laughed! I have one pair of dress flats that I wear anytime I need to be in a dress. They are black and I make sure everything I have goes with the shoes! They got me through leaving home at 4 PM until 3 AM. Obviously a really fun wedding!

For winter I wear ankle high hiking boots unless the snow is crazy deep. I have a couple of pairs so there is always one dry. I usually wear those snowshoeing with gaiters to keep the snow out. And if it seems the least bit slippery I put yak tracks on. I also have winter clogs from Salomon. Ankle high Sorel boots for if it gets crazy cold. But they weigh a ton. And I have a Pajar brand knee-high pair of fleece lined boots to shovel in or where if I don’t think the parking lot will be plowed yet. I’m ready for what Mother Nature dishes out in Vermont!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Big fan of the Salomon Shelter boot: very comfortable, good traction and flexible enough that I can drive for hours. They're only lightly insulated though, so if it's really really cold I wear an older pair of Vasques that are just fantastic (alas that model isn't made anymore).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was in REI tonight and happened to try these Columbia boots on.. They are light as a feather and super warm, felt like slippers but waterproof and seemingly good traction. They were 25% off, so I figured why not give them a try with how comfy they are. Might still pick up some Bean boots with my points, but I think these will be good for travel and apres’ for the time being! I got the black as only black and green were in store, but now I’m wondering if I should exchange for the pretty blue ones..

https://www.rei.com/product/137570/columbia-minx-shorty-iii-snow-boots-womens?CAWELAID=120217890005308997&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15998018800&CATCI=pla-829020329899&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_1050594233|1375700009|none|_kenshoo_clickid_|pla-829020329899&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_1050594233|1375700009|none|_kenshoo_clickid_&gclid=CjwKCAiAzuPuBRAIEiwAkkmOSPovImKDkklU06zQSNTA4-MtG3Sr4VsOdMDKNqnp_tcGkDCVkg8GnhoCJ5UQAvD_BwE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly