• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Boots

MissySki

Angel Diva
What do you wear to/from the mountain on your feet? In past years I’ve worn Uggs or Ugg type boots, but though they are warm and comfy, they aren’t super practical for walking in wet/snowy/salty conditions. I have winter boots for snowshoeing etc., that are fine to wear, but they are too bulky to drive or travel in for the most part. I’d like something that can meet all of these needs.

I was looking at and tried on several LL Bean insulated and/or shearling lined boots yesterday, very comfy and warm. Most were the typical bean boot styling in different colors and heights, one was a different brand and looked more like a regular ankle boot. There are soooooo many to choose from though, and some are mighty expensive (though I have plenty of Bean Bucks to cover just about any pair in full, so that’s not really a big consideration). It does irk me that there is no longer a lifetime warranty, but they are just as expensive as ever..

Does anyone have an LL Bean winter boot they recommend in particular? Open to other brands as well.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, I live slope side, so my ski boots. But otherwise I wear hiking boots. Good traction. I can slip my yaktrax over them for ice and they are to some extent waterproof. If I'm going to be standing around outside then the Columbia Bugaboo's come out. But like you say...no good for driving.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like slip on shoes or boots for the ease and comfort of them. Right now I have a pair of Keens that are warm and decent for walking in snow (i also use them for shovelling etc). I used to use a pair of Merrel jiungle mocs I swore by unless there was fresh snow but those got stolen when i was at a hot tub :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
I prefer relatively short snow boots that are flexible enough to fold and stuff into a Sportube with my skis. One can fit in the gap between tip and tail since the skis are packed with bindings facing inwards. Although some times I'll wear the snowboots on the plane and pack my sneakers with the skis.

What I have at the moment is similar to the Chaco Borealis.

knolan12

Angel Diva
I'm also a duck boot gal. I've had mine a while now (7 years?) so not sure of the model. They're taller, dark brown ones with lining.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have Gore Tek hiking boots I use. Good on the icky icy ground. When I’m in deeper snow I have a pair of pack boots, but they are so much harder to walk in.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really don't wear anything special. Either my knockoff Costco Uggs, which are now a mess b/c of snow/water or running shoes. If it's looking particularly nasty, I wear my winter boots, which are North Face Abby boots.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
+1 for bean boots. Mine have the shearling lining, which I love! They are the lower of the 2 shaft heights, light brown upper, dark brown rubber, and I replaced the standard foot bed with the shearling foot bed from my uggs and they really are amazing. I second guess every.single.thing and not these - they are that comfy/practical/somewhat stylish!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really don't wear anything special. Either my knockoff Costco Uggs, which are now a mess b/c of snow/water or running shoes. If it's looking particularly nasty, I wear my winter boots, which are North Face Abby boots.

I used to have LL Bean “Uggs” that I loved, but I wore through the inside lining eventually, and they got so gross on the outside from salt as well (they were an outlet clearance find and lasted for years, so no complaints). Then after those I started wearing my short black Uggs that I really really love as they have an actual rubber sole versus the weird light soles many Uggs have. Unfortunately I tore a hole in the toe last year, like my toes stick out right where the material meets the sole. So I don’t feel there is enough material near the sole for me to sew it up. I don’t want to ruin my other pair of tall Uggs that I try to mostly keep out of inclement weather lol. So it seems like it’s time to go on a different path for my snow boot commuting type of needs lol.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to have LL Bean “Uggs” that I loved, but I wore through the inside lining eventually, and they got so gross on the outside from salt as well (they were an outlet clearance find and lasted for years, so no complaints). Then after those I started wearing my short black Uggs that I really really love as they have an actual rubber sole versus the weird light soles many Uggs have. Unfortunately I tore a hole in the toe last year, like my toes stick out right where the material meets the sole. So I don’t feel there is enough material near the sole for me to sew it up. I don’t want to ruin my other pair of tall Uggs that I try to mostly keep out of inclement weather lol. So it seems like it’s time to go on a different path for my snow boot commuting type of needs lol.

I'm still mad that I can't get replacement faux Costco uggs. They don't make them anymore. They were a fraction of the price of real Uggs, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two. I don't want to plunk down $200 for the real deal. But I've never liked any of the other knockoffs I've tried before, either. I think I've had these Costco ones nearly a decade? Maybe just under. They're honestly fine, except the shearling lining has really packed out over the last decade. I've been wearing thick socks in them for a few years now to try to take up space. lol

ETA: The older pair are the tall ones, which I prefer. I also have a short pair that is maybe about 5 yrs old and they haven't packed out yet.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like a slip on with good traction. Salomon makes some that I just picked up at the outlet for dirt cheap that are waterproof and have some light insulation. Even their hiking shoes with the speed laces work.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had several Pairs of Totes, last year upgraded to Khombu's, uggs height, easy on off good traction, waterproof, warm, Last week I picked up a pair of shorter Itasca (made in the USA) boots from my tractor supply store 25$ insulated with awesome looking treads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly